Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2022, 04:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36cc
Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Hi guys, our mast came down yesterday, (Beneteau 36cc 1997) about 3nm off the shore of Mayaguana Island in the Bahamas.

We are now safely at anchor at Abrahams bay. Luckily no damage to the hull (but one of our cats wasn’t so lucky) he was sleeping in the cockpit and I guess jumped in panic and we never saw him again.

I was able to cut the lines and rigging to free the mast from the boat before it damaged the hull. Calm sea’s, 10 to 16 knots of wind. No idea what let go.

But for now the most important part, whats next. We are trying to decide if we should motor back to Florida or continue our way down to T&C or another country further south to try and get another mast.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

We are Canadians and left Lake Champlain last September for an undetermined amount of time. But now our trip will probably end sooner than anticipated.

Dave
SV Lusca
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 04:47   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Ouch; You are about 500nm SE of Ft Lauderdale, my first pick for expensive part help.
I suppose it would be a fault with the upwind shroud that led to this??
I don't think I would entertain further motoring into the Carib. Long slog under power, $$, and import parts issues.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 05:02   #3

I had a new forestay with harken furler installed in Oriental NC. At the same time I had the rigger adjust everything. I have the impression that something let go at the top. The mast was broken in half but no idea of it was caused by the impact with the water.
Old 22-03-2022, 06:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
(but one of our cats wasn’t so lucky) he was sleeping in the cockpit and I guess jumped in panic and we never saw him again.
My sincerest condolences for your loss. Boats can be fixed.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:33   #5

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Luckily no damage to the hull (but one of our cats wasn’t so lucky) he was sleeping in the cockpit and I guess jumped in panic and we never saw him again.
Very sorry about your loss. We had one of our cats jump ship in Key West 1st week of January. It was a very sad departure when we finally had to leave last week without him.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:41   #6

Boat: J Boats J/46

Quote:
I had a new forestay with harken furler installed in Oriental NC. At the same time I had the rigger adjust everything. I have the impression that something let go at the top. The mast was broken in half but no idea of it was caused by the impact with the water.
For sure best bet is to go back to Florida or anywhere else in the USA for repairs.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, the logical choice would be to head back to Florida under power.
I'd base my route on fuel supply and where I could fill up.

Trying to get a new mast and rig out to your location would be a daunting and expensive task.

Getting the mast back on the boat would require a crane, or two buddy boats alongside.

I see little point in trying to head west. You will have the wind and waves against you the whole way. If you insist on this, I'd reckon Puerto Rico would be your best bet to have a mast replaced. Turks and Caico or DR might be a possibility, but my choice would be PR. Only problem is getting there, which is why Florida is the logical answer.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

If you were able to salvage a boom, spinnaker pole, etc, you could probably concoct a jury rig to help your progress to Florida, but this would be a downwind rig at best.
Old 22-03-2022, 07:47   #9
Marine Service Provider

meant to say heading "east" not "west"...my bad
Old 22-03-2022, 08:29   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Salut Dave,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. But don't let this story put an end to your sailing plans. Anything material can be fixed.
I think you are closer to DR (luperon or puerto plata) than you are to Florida; all you need is fuel and a good weather window with less wind and calm seas. And you can make a stop in T&C to refuel. DR is cheaper than Florida and you may be able to source a used mast.
Here's the Puerto Plata marina web site: Ocean World Marina – Full service boat yard and marina in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
I also met a guy who does boat works in the Luperon area. He is Canadian too from BC. If you go that direction and you're interested I can look for his email address and send it to you by PM.
Bon courage et surtout regarde le côté plein du verre
{begin english translation as requested by the moderator}
Stay strong and please see the cup from the full side
{end translation}
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 09:20   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

At approximately 500nm were I in your shoes I would make the best of it and leisurely island hop back to Florida. You need dependable parts and services to get back in order. Island time can be very frustrating to those unaccustomed to innumerable delays and everything must be shipped/flown in. Customs duties can be astronomical.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 09:20   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Load up the jerry cans and motor back to Ft Lauderdale. It will be WAY cheaper if you can bring the broken mast back on deck.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 10:21   #13

Thanks for all your support and suggestions. Most seems to suggest to head back to FL. Our insurance just told us that the mast isn’t covered because it is over 20 years old. We will be looking for used parts, wonder if the French islands would have any?

Dave
SV Lusca
Old 22-03-2022, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargo View Post
Salut Dave,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. But don't let this story put an end to your sailing plans. Anything material can be fixed.
I think you are closer to DR (luperon or puerto plata) than you are to Florida; all you need is fuel and a good weather window with less wind and calm seas. And you can make a stop in T&C to refuel. DR is cheaper than Florida and you may be able to source a used mast.
Here's the Puerto Plata marina web site: Ocean World Marina – Full service boat yard and marina in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
I also met a guy who does boat works in the Luperon area. He is Canadian too from BC. If you go that direction and you're interested I can look for his email address and send it to you by PM.
Bon courage et surtout regarde le côté plein du verre
Merci, cela aussi reste un gros questionnement, continuer notre rêve ou reviser nos plans

in English: Thanks, the also is a big question, to continue our dream or revise our plans.

Dave
Old 22-03-2022, 10:28   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I would sit with a drink in hand and make a bunch of phone calls. You would think with all the salvaged boats over the past years there would be a well stocked used parts yard somewhere down there.

Best of luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mast