Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 05:52   #1

Boat: Carena 40
Dimension Polyant AP feedback requested

We are currently getting new sails quoted for Make My Day. Being a ketch with an additional removable forestay this is quite an expensive undertaking. One of the sailmakers recommends using Dimension Polyant AP 480. While on paper this looks good for a 12 meter offshore cruising ketch, the only comments that I can find come from sailmakers. While they are knowledgeable in their field, I would like to have some independent feedback from actual cruisers that have sails made from this sail cloth.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 21:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Dimension Polyant AP feedback requested

We make a lot of sails out of AP Blade, and have sails from Norway to Falklands/Antarctica. If you need some references PM me and I will give you a couple of good customers email address's. I know you said no sailmakers but no one else is replying. It is more common in Europe than the US. From our testing the Europe made dacron (DP and Fibercon) is a step above the rest. 480 is very heavy for your size boat. I would normally would be using 410AP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dix.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	216718  
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:44   #3

Boat: Carena 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
We make a lot of sails out of AP Blade, and have sails from Norway to Falklands/Antarctica. If you need some references PM me and I will give you a couple of good customers email address's. I know you said no sailmakers but no one else is replying. It is more common in Europe than the US. From our testing the Europe made dacron (DP and Fibercon) is a step above the rest. 480 is very heavy for your size boat. I would normally would be using 410AP.

Kestrahl,
Thanks for the offer for email addresses. I would be interested to get their feedback. Can you please include one that may be a bit dissatisfied so that I can get a complete picture? I'm in the Netherlands so a European produced material is fine.

Thanks again
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:55   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We have the DP Pro Radial cloth for our radial cut genoa and like it. Uses the same weave as the hydranet, but dacron/dacron.
Still relatively crisp for a 6yr old sail and good shape.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 01:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We have the DP Pro Radial cloth for our radial cut genoa and like it. Uses the same weave as the hydranet, but dacron/dacron.
Still relatively crisp for a 6yr old sail and good shape.
Yes correct the yarns jump out of the weave, run straight and then jump back in reducing the crimp. DP Pro-Radial I think is the only radial dacron I've seen do well one design racing ( J-70 world championships - but only the headsail, the main was still cross-cut from AP Blade ). Otherwise OD racers are generally using cross-cut with a hard finish.
I think the winner of the Golden Globe used Fibercon Pro Radial, but that race was likely more about durability and solo sailing ability.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 07:45   #6

Boat: Bahia 46

I had some sails made from this material last year. It seems like a very good cloth to my eye, and I can't detect any stretch. Indeed, it showed up the elasticity of my old halyard which I will now replace with dyneema.

After a decent season of over 6 months in the mediterranean, it doesn't seem to have aged a bit. It is quiet a stuff material, but that is to be expected for a composite taffeta coated material.

It would have been better in the hands of a decent sail maker, but that is another story.
barrymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men