Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2018, 12:35   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Denim for docking line abrasion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
If you ever tumble a motorcycle while wearing denim, you find out exactly how much chafe protection it offers on a visceral level. Might as well be tissue paper.

Another victim of road rash. I would agree. I do not think denim would last long as anti chafe on a dock line.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 13:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Squeaks seems to suggest that you are not using nylon dock lines which are preferred to absorb shock, lessen chafe and not squeak. But even with nylon, chafe gear should also be installed.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 14:26   #18

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8
If you ever tumble a motorcycle while wearing denim, you find out exactly how much chafe protection it offers on a visceral level. Might as well be tissue paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Another victim of road rash. I would agree. I do not think denim would last long as anti chafe on a dock line.
IDK, my Brother hit the asphalt at 100 mph with jeans and a Levi jacket. It wasn't pretty but certainly better than if he was naked. That said, some of the suggestions above would be much better for the OPs purpose.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 15:00   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Fire hose - you can get short lengths on ebay. Lasts just about forever.
Agree with fire hose. Got some old hose and it has been in use for years on my docklines. Even cut some for anti chafe on my anchor line.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 16:21   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
ITs worth a try, but I never considered denim to be a very strong material. I have long preferred sections of old jacketed fire hose for chaffing slips.

Yep. Helps to know a fire fighter!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 16:48   #21

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I've tried heavy duty Carhartt denim during Hurricane Irene, and when wrapped multiple times around the dock line, it did act as sacrificial cover and lasted a few days before chafing through on our back-up dock lines. For the main lines, I cut an old duffle bag into strips for its 600d abrasion resistant nylon.

The nylon worked extremely well for this emergency situation, but it wasn't a full-time solution.

Matt
Old 25-08-2018, 16:54   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Firehouse is arguably better than denim, but how a fireman reacts if you try to drive over one.

There's a reason motorcycle gear was made of leather, not denim. And more exotic materials these days.

If there was only someplace you could do a search for "abrasion resistant materials"....
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 17:08   #23

100 years ago leather was the standard. After that used fire hose has been used. The best material for abrasion resistance that I have found is thick wall tygon tubing available at any chemical or biological supplier. The major problem with any of these when used on nylon line is the Heat buildup due to the energy absorbed when stretched. Most people think incorrectly that just because nylon is wet it will stay cool enough. This is incorrect as the abrasion resistant material acts as an insulator. The best plan is to not have fiction on the anchor rode. My standard method is to have a relatively short, 10 or 12 feet, piece of heavy line attached to a pad eye just above the water line at the bow with the other end attached to the Anchor rode. After Setting the anchor the short piece of heavy line is attached to the rode and the rode is let out until completely slack so there can be no friction on it. I usually keep Shortline attached to the padeye so that it is easy to put on and off the anchor rode. By the way I do not recommend using a swivel except when the boat is left unattended for a very long period of time. A major reason for anchor Rode failure is the swivel. Never use a non forged hardware store swivel and always upgrade the swivel at least two sizes Above the Rest of the rode to account for wear. Also do not use a stainless swivel as they tend to fail without warning.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 17:27   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, if it is inexpensive leather you're after, a great source, imho, is the leather wholesaler's offcuts bin. Usually many grades of leather available, and mostly colored.

It is easy to make your own chafe gear for lines, especially if you buy one of the small leather punches; then, you just sew them on, whatever stitch pleases you, Jim's fond of herringbone.

Ann
Old 25-08-2018, 18:01   #25

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Leather is great, but nylon webbing works pretty well and you can stitch in Velcro, to make it easy to put them on - we made our own chafe-pro knockoffs. Downside to firehose is the insulating effect, and heat is bad for the lines. https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_10899-1.html
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 19:18   #26

Boat: Olympic 40 On 851431

Got tired of fender squeak found a easy solution children tee shirts make great fender covers sew the arm seams thread a line through the bottom seam and ready to go
$3 a tshirt
Dash-Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 19:19   #27

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
I made dyneema lines to run from my deck cleat through hawse hole then hooked nylon dock line to these. Absolutely no squeaks and so far no wear on the dyneema
Ooh. I like that idea. I have a pile of 3/8 dynema 12 strand. I will make up strops with an eye at each end that reach from the cleats through the hawsepipes and fairleads. I’ll tie the nylon dock lines to those and “bobs yer uncle”.
No stretch for the dyneema so no chafe. Nylon for the stretchy bits. Gotta have enough stretch so there may be issues that have to be thought through there.
Thoughts?
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 14:12   #28

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Firehouse is arguably better than denim, but how a fireman reacts if you try to drive over one.

There's a reason motorcycle gear was made of leather, not denim. And more exotic materials these days.

If there was only someplace you could do a search for "abrasion resistant materials"....
Thats because someones life is dependent on that hose. Driving over a hose can result in water hammer or cavitation, destroying the pump on a million dollar apparatus, and cutting off waterflow to crews whose life is literally relying on that line.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 15:21   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not while there's a fire. But even afterwards, when the hoses are empty and simply blocking all the traffic and preventing parked cars from leaving the scene, they don't want anyone driving over the hose.

I don't remember if it was PS or one of the magazines, but someone debunked the "firehose as chafe" at least 20 years ago. Yes, it beats denim. No, it doesn't compare with leather or the modern synthetics. Which is one reason the old used hose is so gladly given away to people who can find another use for it.

Makes a good rubrail on a hard dinghy though.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 15:36   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Not while there's a fire. But even afterwards, when the hoses are empty and simply blocking all the traffic and preventing parked cars from leaving the scene, they don't want anyone driving over the hose.

I don't remember if it was PS or one of the magazines, but someone debunked the "firehose as chafe" at least 20 years ago. Yes, it beats denim. No, it doesn't compare with leather or the modern synthetics. Which is one reason the old used hose is so gladly given away to people who can find another use for it.

Makes a good rubrail on a hard dinghy though.
I actually had a new synthetic anti-chafe protector for my anchor and it only lasted 2 summers before it wore thru. My fire hose one has lasted longer than that, so fire hose for me. The hose I've got has kevlar woven thru it so that's probably why it's lasted, and I've got about 40' of it.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking