Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2023, 13:32   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Damaged Selden Spreader - next steps

Hurricane Ian caused our row of sailboats to fall off their stands resulting in my Selden mast's upper spreader getting hit by a neighbor boat.

The spreader mast fitting is cracked, there's internal spreader damage (where the pins pass) and some(cosmetic) damage to the tip.

My local rigger has contacted Selden and we're told the parts are no longer available (this is a 2005 mast).

I'm trying to determine next best steps (perhaps in this order).

1) could we find used parts - if so any suggestions on the best sources here in SW Florida?
2) could the existing parts be welded/repaired - pictures attached
3) could we retrofit a new spreader system - has anyone done this with a Selden mast, any key learnings? I assume we'd want to replace both sides evening though damage is only on one side -

Any other ideas? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230107_122054_HDR.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	271290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230107_122318_HDR.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	271291  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230107_130917.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	271292  
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 19:16   #2

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Damaged Selden Spreader - next steps

You might look into 3d printing new fittings. There are some pretty high strength materials available. I can't offer any thoughts on cost or availability but I mention it because there's a fellow in my club that is into this and has made some pretty cool stuff. In the absence of finding new or used fittings this may be an option vs designing something new and having it machined.

As for repairing the spreader I think a close visual inspection for any obvious deformation, and possibly a die penetrant to look for cracks, would satisfy me. The holes the pins go through are undoubtedly deformed and would need to be drilled out and bushed. Not complicated and as long as sufficient material remains between the hole and the end of the spreader I would be confident in the repair. It does look like the spreader hinged out a fair bit though so the damage to the holes may be significant. A skilled welder might be able to repair the area by building it up so it can be re-drilled. Really hard to tell without seeing the pieces taken apart.

The spreader end fitting looks fairly straight forward and if it is identical to the other side, or a mirror of it, then it shouldn't be too difficult to scan it and print a new one. I wouldn't necessarily replace both is undamaged unless colour is important to you.

The mast fitting looks more complicated because clearly it interlocks with the other half but 3d scanning and object manipulation is pretty sophisticated and I would be surprised if the damaged part couldn't be scanned, the damaged parts 'repaired' in the image, and a new one printed. Again, no need to replace both sides unless you really want them to match.

Just throwing ideas out, hopefully helpful. Your boat though so ultimately your comfort level/confidence is what matters.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 19:41   #3

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

https://www.rigrite.com/ Might be able to help you. Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale might be another source.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:56   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B View Post
Hurricane Ian caused our row of sailboats to fall off their stands resulting in my Selden mast's upper spreader getting hit by a neighbor boat.

The spreader mast fitting is cracked, there's internal spreader damage (where the pins pass) and some(cosmetic) damage to the tip.

My local rigger has contacted Selden and we're told the parts are no longer available (this is a 2005 mast).

I'm trying to determine next best steps (perhaps in this order).

1) could we find used parts - if so any suggestions on the best sources here in SW Florida?
2) could the existing parts be welded/repaired - pictures attached
3) could we retrofit a new spreader system - has anyone done this with a Selden mast, any key learnings? I assume we'd want to replace both sides evening though damage is only on one side -

Any other ideas? TIA

Swept back spreaders? you should determine the OEM angle, those Selden parts are toasted, my best bet would be to look for another selden dealer and hopefully they have the spreaders brackets with the spreaders ,and if not, retrofit from zspar catalog or sparcraft, you would need to have the dimensions of the mast profile, angle, length of the spreaders, for any competent rigger it is not a difficult task.

Opcion B could be retrofit a updated Selden spreader bracket and keep the whole thing Selden .

Do not try to weld or repair them.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote