Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 20:57   #1

Damaged Forestay.

The extruded aluminium covering on my forestay is made up of 7 pieces with a groove for the jibs beaded luff to slide into to attach the sail, about halfway up the forestay it has separated and the grooves now don’t line up correctly. I had noticed a stain on my sail that corresponds to the separated join, the stain line is visible near the top of the photo. The rigger advised me to replace the halyard as it was damaged, which is what I was doing, the double braided rope was still in good condition so I only cut off the knot itself and re-used the rope. The 30mm gap was caused by the sail jamming at the join, it will slide back down easily enough. The standing rigging was renewed only 4 years ago and I just had it inspected and adjusted professionally last week, Is there a way to fix this, or does the whole forestay need to be replaced. I’m a single handed sailor and I can’t get up there by myself and funds are tight at the moment. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forestay .jpg
Views:	43
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	241361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forestay 2 .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	241362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain .jpg