Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 16:23   #1

Boat: Columbia 36
Curved vs straight traveler

I am in the middle of re-finishing a 1969 Columbia 36. The mainsheet traveler is pretty rudimentary and has a slight bend sprung into it to keep it centered on the mounting area at the aft end of the cockpit. If I replace it (the wood underlayment of the traveler track is toast) do I need to replicate the bend or can I simplify things with a straight track?
mbath56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:44   #2

Re: Curved vs straight traveler

Straight is beter. Why? Cuz any change in the track affects the actual mainsheet placement when you are moving the traveler control lines so you are changing the trim of the main instead of just changing the angle of attack.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 18:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Straight is beter. Why? Cuz any change in the track affects the actual mainsheet placement when you are moving the traveler control lines so you are changing the trim of the main instead of just changing the angle of attack.
I think you've got that backwards. If the arc of the traveller track is the same as the arc described by the mainsheet attachment point on the boom you will not change the trim of the main.

If it is straight or if the arc is not the same as the mainsheet attachment arc, it will change the trim of the main since the mainsheet will either loosen or tighten slightly when the traveller is moved - moving the boom up or down.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 18:21   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I think you've got that backwards. If the arc of the traveller track is the same as the arc described by the mainsheet attachment point on the boom you will not change the trim of the main.

If it is straight or if the arc is not the same as the mainsheet attachment arc, it will change the trim of the main since the mainsheet will either loosen or tighten slightly when the traveller is moved - moving the boom up or down.
1+...
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 19:24   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To clarify things, as it makes a difference. Is the track curved in the horizontal plane, or the vertical?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 21:23   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Jeez, just go sailing.
Curved or straight? You in the Volvo Ocean Race looking to shave a second here and a second there.?
Sail a few years and you won't ask the question, we spend more time at anchor goofing off than worrying about the angle of the traveler, at least I do..
Old 28-11-2016, 21:35   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Stu has it right.

Curved track is readily available. Why not use it? Especially if it was originally designed that way.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:03   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

On our 1985 Catalina 30 mk I the mid-boom traveller is arced in the vertical over the cabin roof but straight in the horizontal. This DEFINITELY changes the sheet tension when moved, so much that we usually have to slack the sheet to be able to adjust the traveller more than a few inches.

If the OP's curve is horizontal and has the diameter centered at the mast, then it would be good to keep if he has the room. If it is arced vertical due to a humped seat, then a flat track would be better if possible.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
On our 1985 Catalina 30 mk I the mid-boom traveller is arced in the vertical over the cabin roof but straight in the horizontal. This DEFINITELY changes the sheet tension when moved, so much that we usually have to slack the sheet to be able to adjust the traveller more than a few inches.

If the OP's curve is horizontal and has the diameter centered at the mast, then it would be good to keep if he has the room. If it is arced vertical due to a humped seat, then a flat track would be better if possible.
^^^ +1

Stu and Stu can agree?

This Stu was thinking paragraph one above.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:55   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I live and sail as straight as l can.

My traveller is 8' long
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:36   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Ideally you want a track curved in the horizontal plane, so that it scribes a hemispherical arc, with the mast as it's center point. Much as is seen on some racing trimarans, OPEN class boats, & 12m's. Barring this, you want it to have it's ends slightly higher than it's center.

BTW, many track manufacturers will bend it to your spec's for you, which is advised if there's to be much curve to it. Since you can accidentally kink the track, fudge up it's anodizing, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:34   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

It doesn't matter. I've raced on a lot of high end boats with straight travelers and the reason it's fine is that if the person trimming main is not constantly adjusting trim then they're not doing their job. Yes, a traveler curved on the horizontal plane doesn't impact mainsheet trim but in the grand scheme of things it's really not an issue. If you're super picky and don't want to have to occasionally tweak the sheet after raising or lowering the traveller then go for it and install a curved track but I sincerely doubt you'll notice the difference and find it annoying on a cruising boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:55   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Jeez, just go sailing.
Curved or straight? You in the Volvo Ocean Race looking to shave a second here and a second there.?
Sail a few years and you won't ask the question, we spend more time at anchor goofing off than worrying about the angle of the traveler, at least I do..
Thank you for the answer I was looking for. It's spring curved horizontally, needs to be replaced or repaired and sits on a boat built in 1969. No racing for me. Much easier to make it straight.
mbath56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 13:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
^^^ +1

Stu and Stu can agree?

This Stu was thinking paragraph one above.
^^^ + 1

Yes, Stu and Stu can agree.

This Stu was thinking of paragraph two above.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 13:53   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
On our 1985 Catalina 30 mk I the mid-boom traveller is arced in the vertical over the cabin roof but straight in the horizontal. This DEFINITELY changes the sheet tension when moved, so much that we usually have to slack the sheet to be able to adjust the traveller more than a few inches. ......
My 1980 Catalina 30 mk I came with an abomination of a curved traveler that was only movable by hand (i.e. no lines).

Some $$$$ to Garhauer and I've got a nice straight traveler that works wonderfully. (Also all new blocks, solid vang, etc...) Garhauer is a great source of high-quality, lower priced hardware.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote