Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 23:52   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Cotter pins, split rings, or safety wire?

When I bought my boat, I lowered the masts, and removed the turnbuckles from the stays and shrouds.

Now I'm looking at putting them back up, and that means reattaching the turnbuckles.

One of the reasons I removed them was that they don't seem to have been attached correctly. Some of the pins had cotter pins holding them in place, some had split rings, some had safety wire, and one just sent to have some odd piece of wire in place of safety wire.

How should the pins be secured? What's usual practice?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 00:01   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Cotter pins, split rings, or safety wire?

Depending on the type of turnbuckle, you will see different solutions however all of them should do the same job which is preventing the turnbuckle from unscrewing.

The more common methods are cotter pins, split rings, lock nuts (on the RH thread end) and safety wire.

Providing they prevent the turnbuckle from coming loose, can't catch lines (or skin) and don't fall (or break) off, then they are all good.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety