Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 16:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Corroded mast step

Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on how best to fix corrosion on my mast at the step? It has a bit of corrosion from neglect by previous owners, and I'd like to get rid of it and stop it from continuing.

The mast is an aluminum hood furling mast, and there is some corrosion where it bolts into the bilge, as well as around where it meets the deck. I plan on getting a proper boot for it as well once I move a block that's connected to the mast flange onto the deck.

The corrosion isn't a structural problem yet, as the inspector looked at it closely and said as much when I purchased the boat. He did of course recommend fixing it.

My initial thoughts were to use a wire brush and remove any of the loose stuff, and follow up with some type of paint.

is this the right way to go? And has anyone had experience with a particular paint for this type of application? I'd love any advice/suggestions that anyone may have.

Many thanks!

Matt
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 19:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
How things look ae not always how they are. That can be good or bad. Once you clean it all up and fix the mast boot it may look a lot different. Do all that for sure, then post some pictures to the photo gallery so we can all look.

Paint probably is not the solution. Stopping the leaking water probably is the real ticket here. Some water does rain down inside the mast in most boats. The mast boot can be a hard thing to fix. Spartight is a good product for that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 19:07   #3

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Will do - thanks for the help. I'll take some photos this weekend and post them up.
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:03   #4

Boat: Stevens 47
My mast step, mast base, and partners were were corroded. I found a company that that sand blasted, zinc primer, powderocated the step and partners. They came out really nice. The base had of the mast wall was compromised enough that I cut off the bottom 1" of the mast. Then I raised up the mast step by 1" using garolite.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 20:10   #5

Boat: Boden, "Helenia" design, 36' Sloop, "Myuna 11'"
When preparing to moving my boat by semi trailer I had to remove the mast and like
"svTOTEM" I found the bottom of the mast compromised and likewise will have to cut approximately 1" off the base of the mast.
It did have a good sealing compound at the base of the mast and the steel collar welded to the cabin top, there is no corrosion of the steel base or the cabin top.
But the interesting thing was, sitting on the inside of the collar base area was a little sand and a waffer thin "copper penny"??
Maybe it was placed there as some sort of sarficial anode, what your opinion.??
or maybe a time capsual.

"Some march to the beat of a different drum"
poundsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 00:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
waffer thin "copper penny"??
Maybe it was placed there as some sort of sacrificial anode,
It is an old tradition/superstition from old tall ships days. You placed a coin under the mast when the mast is stepped for the first time. I am not really sure what started the idea. Maybe it was just pure superstition. Maybe the coin lifted the wooden mast off the deck so as it didn't rot. Perhaps it was originaly a copper or even silver coin. Silver and Copper both kill Rot spores. Or maybe it was a contingency fund when if the mast fell over.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 01:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The ancient Romans (or Greeks or Phoenicians,) placed a gold coin under the stepped mast, to have ready money to pay for a new mast, or to help sailors lost at sea pay their passage across the River Styx to the Underworld.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast