Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 03:48   #1

Boat: current yacht:Cavalier 32 -10m, previous yacht: Joshua steel ketch 12m, built in Meta yard
Converting roller furler (luff tape) jib to hank on

Hi All,
I知 adding a Solent stay to my Cavalier 32 sloop. My #3 short luff jib will fit on the Solent stay perfectly, but its got luff tape to fit my Furlex furler.
Question 1) I知 planning to use bronze piston sew-on hanks (if I can source them). I知 planning to leave the existing luff tape on the sail and just sew the hanks on with the thread going through the tape. I see no need to remove the luff tape or to put in grommets if I知 using sew-on hanks. Anybody have a comment on this?
Question 2) Does anyone know of a source (preferably in New Zealand) for sew-on type brass piston hanks? Yes, I know all about the bang-on type and also the very expensive Wischard ones, and am not interested in either. And of course NOT plastic hanks!!!

Lots of sloops I know around here are adding Solent stays for the ease and safety of having a heavy weather jib ready to go up without having to do a jib change on a furler. Been there, done that a lot on both cruising and racing boats; not fun in high wind and big seas.
Yes, i know all about so-called roller reefing jibs, but I知 talking about beating to weather in 30+ knots with a sail that has a shape, not a bag.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote