Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 13:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Converting a Harken Pre-2009 H40.2 STC Winch to Electric

Hi,

I have a 2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 with a Harken H40.2 STC manual winch on the coach roof for the main halyard etc. The yacht had a factory option that supplied an electric winch; H40.2 STC EH where the "EH" stands for electric horizontal.

I have learnt that post 2009, are the new Radial winches, but mine is Pre-2009 which is a Classic winch.

I believe you used to be able to get elctric conversion kits for these winches that supplied the 90 degree gear box and 12 volt motor.

Contacting two dealers who checked with Harken, I have been told that these parts are no longer available and I would have to buy a new Radial Electric winch at a large cost.

Has anyone converted the same model winch before and can give any advice, I see a couple of motors on Ebay that may of may not be the correct size? If you search Harken motor they come up.

Does anyone know anyone who has old stock of these electric conversion kits for Pre-2009 Harken H40.2 STC classis winch?

Just taking a long shot that someone will read this that can help, otherwise I will have to save up for later.
Oceanis 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:09   #2

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Re: Converting a Harken Pre-2009 H40.2 STC Winch to Electric

Email Craig.blazer at harken dot com. He will let you know if they are still available. However I went thru the same exercise with a pair of st53s it was essentially the same price to buy a complete new electric winch as to buy the conversion kit. Considering I will have 2 manual st53 to sell I think I'll come out ahead.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Converting a Harken Pre-2009 H40.2 STC Winch to Electric

Thanks @Steel Sails, I will try that email address and see what they say. I spoke to dealers in UK and Malta who already said they no longer had the parts available. I was hoping there was a chance someone may have old stock or spare on a shelf somewhere.
Oceanis 40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, electric, Harken, winch