Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 16:02   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Confessions of a novice fancy worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
That looks beautiful! Is it an Ocean Plat (ABOK #2243)? Did you start it with an overhand knot as Ashley suggests? How large has it ended up? How do you conceal the ends?

I have always admired rope mats and was thinking of making one for the new boat. Synthetic hemp rope used here on old Dutch boats look like the real thing at first glance, and I think this would work well for mats like this.

SWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

belizesailor, nice work. Though making one of those surely takes more concentration than I can muster at the moment. And those mats are always so pretty that I'd be afraid to use'em as mats.

Yes, it is an Ocean Plait/Plat, but not specifically using ABOK. It did start with an overhand knot. It is 27" wide on its longest axis. The easiest way to conceal the ends is just to tuck them under following the normal pattern and sieze them to the line next to them. You can make them longer/wider just by adding more overlaps to the initial pattern...which is pretty obvious once you've done a few. I suspect Ashley goes into the math in detail, as he does on many knots, so you could be more precise, but I just winged this one (my ABOK sits on a table several countries away).

I first learned to make them when I crewed on the ELISSA. At the time, some lines which were not safety critical, were still rigged with natural fibre lines for authenticity. They also failed regularly...in a very authentic way. We used the scraps to make ocean plaits and other fancy knot work which was then sold in the gift shop. We also made small ones as block pads so the big blocks did not beat divets into the deck.

More critical lines were rigged using ROBLON brand rope which is syntehtic but looks a lot like natural fibre rope (probably the same SWL sees on the old Dutch boats...given that they are a Dutch company). It is a lot safer and more practical than the real thing.

They are actually quite easy to make once you get the starting pattern correct...its pretty mindless after that...just keep following the pattern till you run outta rope! [emoji6]

Snugging it up takes about as long as making the intial weave...you just keep working slack out following the original pattern toward the bitter ends. I actually worked up a little sweat hefting this big matt around.

I used 20 yards of cheap rope in this one ($1/yard at the local hardward store). Has a hand like rolled up hay...which made it a bit more challenging.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 17:59   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
(my ABOK sits on a table several countries away).
Mine sits on my laptop wherever I am
.It used to be available as a PDF at bethandevans.com. I'll PM you.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 20:08   #93

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

for Knot tieing on your I phone the app Knots 3D shows the knot in 3D motion
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 22:30   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Yes, it is an Ocean Plait/Plat, but not specifically using ABOK. It did start with an overhand knot. It is 27" wide on its longest axis. The easiest way to conceal the ends is just to tuck them under following the normal pattern and sieze them to the line next to them. You can make them longer/wider just by adding more overlaps to the initial pattern...which is pretty obvious once you've done a few. I suspect Ashley goes into the math in detail, as he does on many knots, so you could be more precise, but I just winged this one (my ABOK sits on a table several countries away).

I first learned to make them when I crewed on the ELISSA. At the time, some lines which were not safety critical, were still rigged with natural fibre lines for authenticity. They also failed regularly...in a very authentic way. We used the scraps to make ocean plaits and other fancy knot work which was then sold in the gift shop. We also made small ones as block pads so the big blocks did not beat divets into the deck.

More critical lines were rigged using ROBLON brand rope which is syntehtic but looks a lot like natural fibre rope (probably the same SWL sees on the old Dutch boats...given that they are a Dutch company). It is a lot safer and more practical than the real thing.

They are actually quite easy to make once you get the starting pattern correct...its pretty mindless after that...just keep following the pattern till you run outta rope! [emoji6]

Snugging it up takes about as long as making the intial weave...you just keep working slack out following the original pattern toward the bitter ends. I actually worked up a little sweat hefting this big matt around.

I used 20 yards of cheap rope in this one ($1/yard at the local hardward store). Has a hand like rolled up hay...which made it a bit more challenging.
Thanks for all the useful information .

With 20 yards of rope used, that must be a hefty piece! It sounds just like a Turk's Head in that is is pretty mindless after the pattern is established and snugging it up takes as long as the weaving itself.

Stu put me onto the ABOK several years ago. Lots of pdf versions can currently be found online. It is interesting reading, as Ashley writes in a chatty manner providing lots of history, and his hand drawn sketches and diagrams are just beautiful.

I am going to make myself a cuppa and will try a practice version Ocean Plait (or maybe its slightly longer sister, the Prolong) using some of the 3mm cord I bought recently that is so stiff it is useless for tight knots. It should be OK for this purpose.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 00:42   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
for Knot tieing on your I phone the app Knots 3D shows the knot in 3D motion
I like 3D instructions .

I haven't used Knots 3D, but have found the animated versions in Grog's are excellent, although I found their website better than their app. Grog's index is not simple to use, so I usually find it easier to Google the knot name and "Grog" and then the instructions come up instantly.

SWL

Old 27-07-2017, 00:53   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I ended up trying the Prolong weave (ABOK #2242), sister to the Ocean Plait. Both can be tied with a single line.

I used up some dreadfully stiff 3mm double braid polyester that I had found useless for general knot tying. The mat ended up 7 x 14cm and it needed just over 4m of cord. Tightening it up properly would reduce this a little, but the weave still uses an amazing amount of cord!

I may make a mat for the pilothouse floor when entering from the cockpit. BelizeSailor, thanks for all the tips.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0657.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	152762  

Old 27-07-2017, 05:20   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I ended up trying the Prolong weave (ABOK #2242), sister to the Ocean Plait. Both can be tied with a single line.

I used up some dreadfully stiff 3mm double braid polyester that I had found useless for general knot tying. The mat ended up 7 x 14cm and it needed just over 4m of cord. Tightening it up properly would reduce this a little, but the weave still uses an amazing amount of cord!

I may make a mat for the pilothouse floor when entering from the cockpit. BelizeSailor, thanks for all the tips.

SWL
Oooh, pretty.
Old 27-07-2017, 05:21   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thanks much. Thats a great resource to have.
Old 27-07-2017, 10:22   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oooh, pretty.
It took a few goes getting the first run to lie correctly, but it was child's play after that. Ashley's instructions are accompanied by four diagrams, but for me more intermediate steps would have been helpful. As beautiful as his diagrams are, I sometimes find them hard to follow.

SWL

Old 27-07-2017, 12:37   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find that unwhipped end intensely annoying?
Yeah, it is distracting.... But anybody who owns more than one adze is given a break in my book....
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 15:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thanks for the great resource. It even has a table of contents!
Old 29-07-2017, 05:55   #102

Turk's head over coffee this AM. Ends not tucked yet.

Name:	20170729_074801.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	152944
Old 29-07-2017, 07:09   #103

Boat: Catalina 320

Very nice, how did you do your wheel ? I used to use a 2 line French braid that made a diamond pattern but it was labor intensive having to pass the standing part around the wheel. Then I was shown this "quick" method, only took a few days and blisters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	152948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	152949  

Name:	wheel wrap.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	152950  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:33   #104

Nice work.

My cat's wheel is uncovered....though an elongated turk's head on the tiller of my Hobie 33 might be cool.

Funny idea...Im about to embark on a rebuild of my Jeep...a turk's head to mark wheel center would be an appropriate nautical touch. 😆
Old 29-07-2017, 10:45   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Very nice, how did you do your wheel ? I used to use a 2 line French braid that made a diamond pattern but it was labor intensive having to pass the standing part around the wheel. Then I was shown this "quick" method, only took a few days and blisters.
Nifty solution .
We have had tillers on all our boats so I haven't needed to wrap a wheel. I am thinking along the same lines as Belize here - a long Turk's head would be good to add to the end of our new tiller.

Tags
novice