Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 13:21   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Code Zero Furler Sail Modification

Greetings,

So I finally received my Facnor FX2500 Code Zero furler. First observation is that it is TINY!!!!

My first question is: Is this thing really going to be able to furl my 69m2 Code Zero? (max size in specs states 79m2, but it's REALLY SMALL!!!)

Next question...

OK, so my plan is to also use this furler with a jib so I can fly two headsails downwind. I have a 135% RF genoa (vectran) which I will roll up to about 100%, and then have another 100% (or smaller?) on the code zero furler, both poled out.

I have three options:

1. BUY a NEW sail for this second headsail

2. Have a sail loft MODIFY a DACRON genoa which I will otherwise ebay, it's in decent condition, but not fabulous, about 130%

3. Have a sail loft MODIFY a LAMINATED genoa (don't know exactly what type of cloth, but clearly it's a good one) which I will otherwise ebay, almost new, about 155%

I am leaning towards option 3, but don't know anything about whether laminates are modifiable or not and whether adding a vectran luff rope + eyes for the furler is easier/better on dacron or the laminate?

Thanks muchly!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 13:59   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Code Zero Furler Sail Modification

Recutting a laminate sail, presumably radial panels or string construction is possible but not a good idea. Radial sails have yarns oriented to load. Altering the geometric shape so much changes the load paths. Depending on the specific cloth, the strength/stretch characteristics of laminates trends towards going pear-shaped if load gets more than 10 or 15 degrees from parallel to the yarns. Off axis yarns make the cloth stronger over broader load angles, but the big recut you’re considering will likely cause cloth distortion and delamination.
Where in Sydney are you located? We’re in Cammeray, if nearby pop over for a chat about it.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 12:53   #3

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
Recutting a laminate sail, presumably radial panels or string construction is possible but not a good idea. Radial sails have yarns oriented to load. Altering the geometric shape so much changes the load paths. Depending on the specific cloth, the strength/stretch characteristics of laminates trends towards going pear-shaped if load gets more than 10 or 15 degrees from parallel to the yarns. Off axis yarns make the cloth stronger over broader load angles, but the big recut you’re considering will likely cause cloth distortion and delamination.
Where in Sydney are you located? We’re in Cammeray, if nearby pop over for a chat about it.
Howdy,

Thanks for that - greatly appreciated. Makes sense since you put it that way doesn't it.

I have to take about 1.2m off the foot of the sail at the tack, and will need maybe 2m trimmed off the leech as well, so it's a pretty major modification too... maybe I might have to buy a new one after all... bah.

I'll send you a PM, would love to catch up - in the middle of selling the house/stuff at the moment and moving aboard... going crazy!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:16   #4

Boat: Stevens 47

Been there! It all works out though. Looking forward to meeting.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

If it's a load path sail, I'd strongly advise against any modification of the magnitude you've described. We were designing a multi-hull load path mainsail recently and realized after we got done with the design that we needed the sail to be about 4 inches shorter on the luff. We ended up making a decision to re-do the design rather than modify the sail on the floor.

My other concern would be that a genoa would not make a very good code Zero. The designs are much different, especially in regard to luff curve. If you want to email me I can dig up some sample designs of each.

svTOTEM is quite knowledgeable on sailmaking so you're in good shape if Cammeray is anywhere near you. While racing code Zero's are made from specially developed laminates, a cruising code Zero can be made from a heavy nylon.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero, furler, sail