Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 14:33   #31

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Re: Code Zero, Blast Reacher, Continuous Furler ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
We tried various snatch blocks and the bang around a bit and the sheet sometimes chafed on the mainsail folds, so we have ended up with a sheet that has a length of vinyl hose on it. Our current solution is to lash the hose on the end of the boom and the sheet slides back and forth inside it. Works pretty well.

Just one comment on something we learned/changed about poled out jibs . . . we do this is quite strong breezes and if/when your jib backwinds (happens in a sudden wind shift or if you are trying to sail to high) the pole is shock loaded forward quite strongly which make big torque on the pole track on the mast. We were sailing with a jib poled out in South Georgia and got a 40kts gust from a different direction (coming down a valley) which backed the jib, sheared 4 of the bolts holding the track on the mast and peeled a section of the track off the mast. We have ended up doubling the bolt spacing in the track area where the pole car is set for the jib.
Interesting application of the vinyl hose, I would have expected something using spectra coming from you.

As for backwinding, thanks for the tip, I will have a look at where the pole sets and do that as well. Sounds like cheap insurance.
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:42   #32

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Halyard tension

I was planning on starting a new thread altogether regarding halyard tension (and still may), but at least on the code zero, will ask here.

How much tension is enough?

I've read all kinds of stuff like "crank with all your strength it until you can't go further", or "crank it like you think it's too much, and then go a bit more"..

...but I'm looking for something a little bit more scientific. I have size 50 winches on the cabintop for halyards, so halyard tension in pounds so I can work out a ratio or something that can be observed?

The problem is that I am something like a 900 pound gorilla and when somebody tells me that I should crank something as hard as I can - because "there's no way you can break it" - I usually break it. I have broken so much hardware, ruined so many threads and sheared off so many bolts this way, it's not funny. I don't want to add my mast to the list.

Please, no comments like "if you can break it yourself, then it's not seaworthy", or "the wind will be stronger" blah blah..

Is there a table somewhere for various halyards/sizes?

Thank you!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:35   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Code Zero, Blast Reacher, Continuous Furler ?

Halyard tension . . . I wonder if your sail designer (not the sail salesman) could give you a target?

We put about 25-20 lbs of force on a #46 winch = about 1000lbs on the 2:1 halyard = about 2,000 lbs on the luff.

It obviously depends what wind angle you are sailing in how much wind. The above is for a tight reach in the mid-wind range.

The normal qualitative halyard rule is tighten until the wrinkles on the sail just disappear.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero, furler