Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 17:02   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Code 0 wind angles

The current boat I sail doesn’t have any downwind sails. I got a good deal on the factory code zero for my new boat but between my research on the internet and what my dealer says, I get conflicting info. What wind angles and speeds can I run my code 0? Dealer says up to 50 degrees in light wind (under 10 knots) and up to 140 degrees in heavier wind. Does this seem right? I will get an A2 eventually to sail down to about 160 but I’d love to use the code 0 on broad reaches versus just using my Genoa.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 17:19   #2

Re: Code 0 wind angles

Yea, you can fly most zeros from just aft of close hauled say 40-50 degrees back to 140 or 150. A-chute will be very slightly (in cruising terms) faster on the deeper angles, but the zero is so much easier to use. For cruising they are very versatile sails, for racing they have a narrower window where they are the best possible option. Typically for cruising you want them cut a bit deeper, with less mid-girth than a racing zero.

If you wanted to run it at 160 . . .you could pole it out the other side.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 20:05   #3

Thanks for the insight. What’s the best way to install a whisker pole?
Old 08-05-2021, 19:00   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We fly our code 0 all the way to dead downwind, though for deeper angles we have to reef and center the main (or furl it entirely in lighter winds) to keep it from blanketing the headsail. From 160 to 180 we sometimes fly our code 0 and our genoa wing-on-wing, which is a surprisingly stable combination.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 21:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
We fly our code 0 all the way to dead downwind, though for deeper angles we have to reef and center the main (or furl it entirely in lighter winds) to keep it from blanketing the headsail. From 160 to 180 we sometimes fly our code 0 and our genoa wing-on-wing, which is a surprisingly stable combination.
Thanks. Do you pole them out?
Old 09-05-2021, 04:12   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Thanks. Do you pole them out?
No, but being on a cat we have wide sheeting angles.

As you asked about 'them' (plural) I assume you mean when flying two headsails. If we had a pole we would pole out the genoa on the windward side. That would provide more stability in rolly conditions. Usually we can fly the two pretty reliably up to 160 but if we have a lot of motion in a seaway that is about the edge.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind