Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 09:06   #1

Climbing a Mast

My boat is a 20 ft kingfisher bilge keel.
I want to use a couple of constricting sling strap knots to shimmy up my mast to replace a mainsail halyard. My question is if i consider the water line the pivot point acting as a fulcrum and my 22 ft mast giving approximately a 5:1 ratio to the keels with my 225 lbs near the top is it possible for the boat to heel over while Im trying to go up. The keels are supposed to be 1100 lbs . To me the math suggest its possible. I just see pictures of people in boson chairs going up but the boats are larger than mine.
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 09:18   #2

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Re: climbing a mast

Rough calculation. Figure out what your 225 lbs at 20 feet above deck will do to stability. That's about 4500 foot pounds to compensate. Then your keel adds 1,100 pounds at say 2.5 feet below the CG, so it gives you less than 3,000 lbs of stability. Thus I would not recommend going aloft as you describe.

At the best, you will take a large heeling angle when you reach somewhere above the spreaders, and not be able to climb any higher with the strops.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 09:24   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Climbing a Mast

If the halyard is still where it belongs, why not use the old to pull the new one through?
Old 30-08-2012, 09:25   #4

Thanks that's what I thought . I guess the people who are doing this have far more weight in the keel than I do. Looks like I ma just go park next to a bridge and bring the mast up to the rail and drop it from there . I also just wanted to practice for emergency when a offshore problem might crop up Looks like I better practice un stepping the mast LOL . Thanks for the reply .
Old 30-08-2012, 09:30   #5

I was doing that and not knowing the proper method to make a slpce between old and new halyard . I used tape that was to stiff and when I tried to pull it thru the pulley then they came apart. Now I have to go up or its gotta come down.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:31   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
Thanks that's what I thought . I guess the people who are doing this have far more weight in the keel than I do. Looks like I ma just go park next to a bridge and bring the mast up to the rail and drop it from there . I also just wanted to practice for emergency when a offshore problem might crop up Looks like I better practice un stepping the mast LOL . Thanks for the reply .

My first boat was "tippy," and when someone had to go up the mast, they rafted a larger sailboat next to mine, went up *that* mast, and then (pretty easily) tipped my mast over for the work it needed.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 09:36   #7

That is a good Idea I could pull it over with my topping lift.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:42   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Why do it the wrong way when the right way is so easy?

The Kingfisher 20 was designed as a trailer sailor. Incredibly easy to pull a 22' mast when it's deck-stepped. While you are replacing the halyard, you'll have a great opportunity to inspect the rig, replace the masthead fly, anchor light, et cetera.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:54   #9

I wish I knew the best procedure to drop it single handed. It would be a good while before I can get help the boats 2 hours away.
Old 30-08-2012, 10:00   #10

Should be trivial to lower that tiny mast. With some careful rigging it can be done singlehanded. With two friends it should be simple.

Yes, climbing the mast could make a hilarious photo-op. But you could also guy it to a dock on either side.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 10:23   #11

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
How is the mast stepped? Even without a system, it can probably be unstepped with two people of reasonable strength, one holding onto the mast itself and guiding it down, holding most the weight and the other holding onto the forestay to provide breaking power if necessary. Personally, I would do this for the first time on land.
Old 30-08-2012, 10:46   #12

Boat: OEM, proportional

Always loved watching the caber being tossed. Going to post videos?
Old 30-08-2012, 11:04   #13

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

micah719 - I'm looking to convert my 30 foot sloop to junk rig. Would you mind an off-CF discussion of your rig? bill dot higgins at expeditors dot com. I hope you have time to respond.
Thanks, - BH
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:06   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I used to drop and raise the mast of a 25 foot trailerable yacht I once owned on my own, it was a lightish section. 20 feet should be easy, but get two or three strongish adults just to make sure, for the first time.
Tie the mast base so it can pivot, but not move forward as it is lowered.
I would not go up the mast on a yacht this small.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:25   #15

Dropping the mast should be a snap, NO pun intended.

You're a 225 lb person, I'm a 140 lb person and I used to drop my San Juan 21 mast single handed in less than 30 minutes on or off the waterB

You should be able to hold that mast at a 45 with one hand. Loosen the rear and any mid shrouds. Remove the fore shrouds. Attach a line to the forestay (because you lost your halyard, otherwise just use the halyard. Take this line through a block at the bow and back to the cockpit/cabin top area. You'll need to have a hold of this line to let it out as the mast drops. Remove the forestay and start letting it fall back while letting out which ever line is run through the block at the bow.f Once at about a 45 grasp with both hands and ease it down

Reverse to raise...

Best of luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast