Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 13:28   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

I have all my rigging down....any good suggestions how to give it a good clean from rust stain? Put it in a bath with some acid etc?
__________________

andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 19:30   #2
Moderator
 
roverhi's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,920
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Oxalic acid but you'd need a large tub and quite a bit of the acid especially if your rigging is 1/4" or more.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a, Pearson 35
'Ms American Pie', Sabre 28 Mark II
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 21:56   #3
DoÖ or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 10,218
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

We love the powdered form of Barkeepers Friend
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 04:26   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 37,029
Images: 241
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We love the powdered form of Barkeepers Friend
I too, recommend Barkeepers Friend.
FWIW:
The Bar Keepers Friend ingredients in the Cleanser & Polish powder and their Cookware Cleanser & Polish are:
Feldspar (abrasive)
Linear Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulfonate (DDBSA)
Oxalic Acid
The Bar Keepers Friend ingredients in the Soft Cleanser are:
Water
Feldspar
Oxalic Acid
Citric Acid
Polymeric Dispersant
Nonionic Surfactant
Orange/Lemon Scent
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 05:05   #5
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 12,948
Images: 14
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Baking soda and white vinegar mixed together produce a good reaction and a paste to brush on, leave for a while and then polish with a pan scourer. Wash off with water. Did a really good job of a second hand S/S arch I bought which had been stored in a workshop for some time and covered in grime, paint flecks and grease etc.

Do we have any chemists in the house to explain how this works?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 07:21   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 37,029
Images: 241
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Baking soda and white vinegar mixed together produce a good reaction and a paste to brush on ...
... Do we have any chemists in the house to explain how this works?
It doesn't, really.
Iím NOT a chemist, but FWIW:
Baking soda helps with cleaning in two ways. As a mild alkali, it helps get rid of dirt and grease. If you keep it as a powder or paste, it has a mild abrasive effect that helps you gently scour surfaces.
The mild acidity in vinegar is what makes it effective on various surfaces.
While each ingredient is a mildly effective cleaner on its own, combining them can sometimes neutralize the effects. Basically, after the big fizzy reaction, the combination may have little more effect than water on the cleaning situation.When you combine baking soda and vinegar, you mix an acid (vinegar) and a base (baking soda) which creates salty water and carbon dioxide gas.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. It consists of a sodium atom, a hydrogen atom, and a carbon dioxide molecule. Vinegar is a solution of acetic acid and water, or dilute acetic acid. Baking soda is a base and vinegar is an acid. When you mix together a base and an acid together with a solvent (water in this case), an acid-base reaction occurs. The acid has a proton, a positively charged hydrogen atom, that it would love to get rid of. The base would love to get ahold of a proton. So, in this case, the acetic acid gives up a proton to the sodium bicarbonate.
Since the baking soda is actually being mixed with water, it breaks apart into a sodium ion and a bicarbonate ion. The acetic acid gives up its proton (a hydrogen atom) and carbon dioxide gas (the bubbles) and sodium acetate are formed (acetate salt). Since the carbon dioxide is simply bubbling off into the air, what you are left with is sodium acetate and water. Basically, you have water and a little salt.
Either the baking soda, or the vinegar, would have been more effective on their own.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 07:30   #7
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 12,948
Images: 14
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Wow and you said you weren't a Chemist



Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:03   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 248
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Same opinion I got from our cleaning ladies special shower cleaning solution of Baking soda and vinegar.. Did nothing for our dirty shower, she actually got it clean with muscle power and tenacity.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:09   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,777
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Errr.... if your standing rigging is so rusty you need to clean it... might it not be time to replace it???

Even a little rust down inside the swages is a big problem for the integrity of the rig.

If you have a small boat on a lake, sure sail it until the rig breaks. If you want to cross oceans a failed rig can kill.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:45   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Quorning Dragonfly 1200
Posts: 2,356
Images: 1
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Errr.... if your standing rigging is so rusty you need to clean it... might it not be time to replace it???

Even a little rust down inside the swages is a big problem for the integrity of the rig.

If you have a small boat on a lake, sure sail it until the rig breaks. If you want to cross oceans a failed rig can kill.

A rigging failure with even a small mast can cause a serious and permanent injury.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:22   #11
Registered User
 
jhulmer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36
Posts: 472
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It doesn't, really.
Iím NOT a chemist, but FWIW:
Baking soda helps with cleaning in two ways. As a mild alkali, it helps get rid of dirt and grease. If you keep it as a powder or paste, it has a mild abrasive effect that helps you gently scour surfaces.
The mild acidity in vinegar is what makes it effective on various surfaces.
While each ingredient is a mildly effective cleaner on its own, combining them can sometimes neutralize the effects. Basically, after the big fizzy reaction, the combination may have little more effect than water on the cleaning situation.When you combine baking soda and vinegar, you mix an acid (vinegar) and a base (baking soda) which creates salty water and carbon dioxide gas.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. It consists of a sodium atom, a hydrogen atom, and a carbon dioxide molecule. Vinegar is a solution of acetic acid and water, or dilute acetic acid. Baking soda is a base and vinegar is an acid. When you mix together a base and an acid together with a solvent (water in this case), an acid-base reaction occurs. The acid has a proton, a positively charged hydrogen atom, that it would love to get rid of. The base would love to get ahold of a proton. So, in this case, the acetic acid gives up a proton to the sodium bicarbonate.
Since the baking soda is actually being mixed with water, it breaks apart into a sodium ion and a bicarbonate ion. The acetic acid gives up its proton (a hydrogen atom) and carbon dioxide gas (the bubbles) and sodium acetate are formed (acetate salt). Since the carbon dioxide is simply bubbling off into the air, what you are left with is sodium acetate and water. Basically, you have water and a little salt.
Either the baking soda, or the vinegar, would have been more effective on their own.

Sure Sound Like a Chemist!
__________________
refit blog
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:34   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 79
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Stainless pickling paste atox 71e is hydroflouric acid. Works very well

Use sparingly on buffed components as it will remove the shine
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:36   #13
Registered User
 
jhulmer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36
Posts: 472
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Hull cleaner has Oxalic Acid. I've never tried it for this application but it works great to remove the scum line. Might be worth a test.


Instant Hull Cleaner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	201660  
__________________
refit blog
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 13:36   #14
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 15,572
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

Most hardware stores sell oxalic acid crystals, usually labeled as wood bleach or concrete cleaner, etc. When purchased this way it is VERY inexpensive. Mix up a couple of ounces of the powder in a gallon or so of warm water (makes it dissolve better) and wipe the wire with a sponge full of the solution, or if possible, soak the wire in a tub full. Won't hurt the w ire at all and will remove minor rust stains quickly.

As mentioned upthread, if there is significant rusting, the wire and/or the swaged fittings are suspect.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II back oscillating between the D'Entrecasteaux and Hobart
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 20:21   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Re: Cleaning bath - standing rigging?

No its not that bad...but you know...when a boat has been sitting for a very long time on the hard....it isn't cleaning itself...so stains keeps being there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Most hardware stores sell oxalic acid crystals, usually labeled as wood bleach or concrete cleaner, etc. When purchased this way it is VERY inexpensive. Mix up a couple of ounces of the powder in a gallon or so of warm water (makes it dissolve better) and wipe the wire with a sponge full of the solution, or if possible, soak the wire in a tub full. Won't hurt the w ire at all and will remove minor rust stains quickly.

As mentioned upthread, if there is significant rusting, the wire and/or the swaged fittings are suspect.

Jim
__________________

__________________
To much plastic in our oceans! Follow us sailing around the world on our 44ft trimaran Facebook &Youtube
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cleaning, rigging

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cleaning stainless steel standing rigging clockwork orange Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 03-06-2014 07:25
Rigging instructions for the standing rigging of the 321 Oceanis anadale1 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 0 20-06-2011 15:52
Re: Rigging, Compression Fittings for Standing Rigging Maineiac_sailor Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 2 26-01-2011 08:30
oil bath shaft system downeastAK Propellers & Drive Systems 1 06-09-2008 21:46
August 15 - Taking a Bath, and other travels skipgundlach General Sailing Forum 4 16-08-2007 16:59

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.