Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2023, 04:51   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Chotu's Rigging Thread - Time to Go Fast

as you guys know, I found a great guy for my rigging. Only problem is he bites off way more than he can chew. He has done nothing as far as physical work to get the rig on. He has been organizing lots of things and designing things. And he’s great at that. I could have never known what to do with my rigging without him. So I’m not going to fault the guy. He is very much in demand. He does a lot of stuff. My project is just a side thing for him.

however, at the same time I need this rig done within 30 days. I am devoting myself full-time to getting this rig up and getting this boat sailing in 30 days. No breaks. No weekends. Nothing. 30 days of hell.

sticking points mostly will have to do with other people not me or my Rigger. It will be getting supplies. Getting parts. So I want to get this stuff nailed down now. Before I even start. My deadline is June 30th to sail away.

when you are building a boat you need to go as fast as you possibly can. Otherwise it will take your entire lifetime.

Here are the current sticking points:

1) sheaves. The place that was linked to on this form that I am forgetting the name of took the entire order and just ghosted my guy. We haven’t been able to get the sheaves done and these need to get done now. I need a whole bunch of them. I guess in what, aluminum? Is that the best way? Can you buy these off the shelf?

2) gooseneck. My gooseneck has a crack in it. I need a new one. Can you buy these off the shelf? Or do I have to do custom fabrication?

3) help. i’m not usually one for giving out my location but it’s the outer banks of the Carolinas. Does anyone know of anyone that might be able to come out and work for the month or at least a couple weeks? work would involve drilling holes in the deck, laminating, installing and servicing winches. I can provide a fairly rudimentary place to stay and sleep. On the boat. I will stay in my RV so there will be a sense of privacy there. There are showers. Bathroom off the boat. It’s now at a more normal type of marina area. Restaurants all around. A little bit of epoxy work. But mostly this is just us working together to get this rig up by June 30. it would be a pretty focused month for someone. Especially good for someone who is trying to learn. I don’t think any of these things require advanced skills or many years of experience working on boats. I could train and help you learn how to work on an advanced composite boat within hours.

Anyone have any ideas or input for some of these items? The sheaves, the gooseneck, and maybe some help if I’m lucky?

I will be adding tons of stuff to this thread. Pictures. Everything. All of the rigging of the boat will happen here and there will be 1 million questions and asks for resources. Because it has to go fast. I can only be away from work for one month to do this.

Note: I am about to enter mad scientist mode which is how I get things done. as a former NASA physicist, I’m not actually joking about mad scientist mode. Ha ha. So apologies if I’m a little short or abrupt as I speed through this. I will be taking in all ideas simultaneously, in parallel and with great care I will discount them immediately or go with them immediately. It won’t be too much hemming and hawing on my end to make the decision. Everything will fly. So don’t be too upset if I don’t use your idea. I am thankful that you have posted it no matter what. Options are what I am trying to find by using this thread. Options I didn’t know about already
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 05:46   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Chotu's Rigging Thread - Time to Go Fast

For sheaves, if it's not something you can get off the shelf, check with Garhauer in California. Not sure if they'll be able to get you stuff fast enough, but they're usually reasonably priced and quite capable of custom work.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 06:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For sheaves, if it's not something you can get off the shelf, check with Garhauer in California. Not sure if they'll be able to get you stuff fast enough, but they're usually reasonably priced and quite capable of custom work.
good idea. The block and tackle you recommended for the lifting of the dinghy on my davits is flawless. Beautifully constructed.

I will see what they say.

Edit:. Done. Reached out for the answer on these. I will update
Old 25-05-2023, 06:26   #4

Quote:

i’m also actually wondering what people think about off the shelf sheaves. And the material that the sheaves are made of. Any comments on that? Mine are something like 5 inches in diameter I think. They are currently aluminum but destroyed through pitting and corrosion as well as structural failures of the edges of the grooves.

The aluminum definitely didn’t hold up indefinitely. And I’m not even sure where to get off the shelf sheaves that are about 5 inches in diameter. I look at McMaster Carr under the aluminum ones and they didn’t go that big.
Old 25-05-2023, 06:30   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
1) sheaves. The place that was linked to on this form that I am forgetting the name of took the entire order and just ghosted my guy. We haven’t been able to get the sheaves done and these need to get done now. I need a whole bunch of them. I guess in what, aluminum? Is that the best way? Can you buy these off the shelf?

2) gooseneck. My gooseneck has a crack in it. I need a new one. Can you buy these off the shelf? Or do I have to do custom fabrication?
For sheaves, can order custom (delrin) from Don Green. He does excellent work and has a fairly quick turn around. https://dreamgreen.org/order2/boat-parts

They do sell goosenecks, but have no idea what you need. As you mentioned the pics would be helpful.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 06:49   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Wow, I was already assuming that mast was in place.

The question of sheaves, Phenolic FG and torlon last a long time.
Nylon is garbage.

And the crack in the gooseneck, well you have no choice but to weld a new piece or reinforce with welding, but as I have seen a picture you posted in the other thread of your gooseneck, not big deal, custom fabrication, it is an easy piece to make, unless you want to screw in a new gooseneck.

Last question, hahaha, if I was around I would come over and give you a hand with the epoxy stuff , maybe ask around for day workers, but make sure they know what they are doing.

Good luck and ask whatever you want, if we can help you?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 17:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Wow, I was already assuming that mast was in place.

The question of sheaves, Phenolic FG and torlon last a long time.
Nylon is garbage.

And the crack in the gooseneck, well you have no choice but to weld a new piece or reinforce with welding, but as I have seen a picture you posted in the other thread of your gooseneck, not big deal, custom fabrication, it is an easy piece to make, unless you want to screw in a new gooseneck.

Last question, hahaha, if I was around I would come over and give you a hand with the epoxy stuff , maybe ask around for day workers, but make sure they know what they are doing.

Good luck and ask whatever you want, if we can help you?
Thank you!

Nope about $32,000 spent right now and still nothing to show for it. Trying not to freak out. That does include the mast, a new Furler, used sails, paying people who didn’t do anything at the last place. Still, I don’t have much more money for this. Would have been so much cheaper to just do a power cat. But where’s the fun in that?

Torlon. I will check into that one. Hadn’t thought of that. That’s the same material the bearings are made out of in the cars. Phenolic too. The thing I like about these materials if they will last is they are machinable and adjustable during install.

So, aluminum is no good? It doesn’t seem good looking at the old ones. Ha ha

Yeah. Maybe just a little bit of a weld repair would be good. I guess the main part is not broken on the gooseneck. Hard to explain. I will have to get some pictures of that. As soon as I get back to the boat. That will be in less than a week. That picture you are talking about from the other thread yes. That’s the gooseneck that has a little crack in it. But I will get some pictures in this thread so it makes sense to everyone.

The Rigger said he is getting a gooseneck done up for me. He’s looking at it. But it’s not in hand so I don’t trust that these people will not delay everything. I need to get this done now. No more screwing around. I’m done with everyone delaying this.

I have a strict deadline of July 1. Departure date. Pending weather of course but not pending boat work.
Old 25-05-2023, 17:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
For sheaves, can order custom (delrin) from Don Green. He does excellent work and has a fairly quick turn around. https://dreamgreen.org/order2/boat-parts

They do sell goosenecks, but have no idea what you need. As you mentioned the pics would be helpful.
Thanks for the idea. I like Delrin also. My rudder bushings are made of that. Really good stuff. Easy enough to machine a little bit during install in case the fit isn’t quite right. Obviously impervious to corrosion.

I’ll reach out to Don ASAP and get pics up here once I get back to the boat.
Old 25-05-2023, 17:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

+1 on Delrin sheaves. Any machine shop can turn Delrin sheaves out in moments. McMaster has Delrin, as do other online suppliers who can get it to you fast.
Replace them all with delrin.
Any local welder can fix a cracked gooseneck. Surely a T-top maker can be found nearby.
Old 25-05-2023, 18:10   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Garhauer will also fabricate a gooseneck if you need one. They made me (through my rigger) a massively strong vang attachment.
Old 26-05-2023, 04:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Canbear Equipment Inc. (Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada) offers various sheave types/styles that are stocked and manufactured from several material choices such as nylon, aluminum, and stainless steel.
Canbear has many years of experience in supplying of stock and custom made wire rope sheaves.
1-888-561-9440
https://www.canbearequipment.com/pro...SAAEgLJmfD_BwE

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 05:19   #12
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I don't know your other thread with the cracked gooseneck but if you can post pictures, I can give you input as to welding it. Is your gooseneck 316 stainless steel? Or?

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 05:31   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Perhaps this will be helpful https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/collections/sheave.
There is also a link on their page for a PDF file.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 06:06   #14

Thank you, everyone. There’s going to be a momentary delay here for a couple days while I travel back to the boat. I will get those pictures in the thread immediately upon arrival.
Old 26-05-2023, 06:21   #15

What is your pay scale. Have all skills u need
rounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging