Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2023, 20:21   #541
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 2,480
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
OK. Everywhere the 1x19 wire touches itself or the spreaders has nice thick plastic tubing.

it was a very long day out there today. But I got done:

*re-run missing spreader light wire
*installed spreader lights
*secure spreader light external wiring in good spot away from any action
*removed powerboat vhf antenna (whip arrives Thur)
*installed double diamond stays and spreaders
*relieved gravitational pressure from all wiring
*tested all wiring and lighting

^this last one got me. I was very disappointed that my anchor light didnít work. I donít typically make mistakes wiring, so it was a bummer. But I am apparently becoming an old man pretty quickly. I didnít realize the daylight would keep it from lighting up. Automatic daylight sensor. I tore apart all of my wiring just to find that out/remember that afterward.

All in all, a very good day. But I am finding plenty of work to still do.

Stlll on the list:

*Flat black spray paint dings and imperfections on mast and spreader light wiring
*Mount/connect new antenna (arrives Thursday)
*Install furler on forestay
*tune double diamond
*Put caps over sheave pins
*Move mast step aft
*deal with difficult nut on tangs


When I last had my mast down to re-rig, I installed a new masthead light. Was really pissed it wasnít working when mast was back up. Did a lot of wire checking and reconnecting. Even walked backwards off the dock into the water while looking up to see if it was working, while fully dressed, with (ex) phone and wallet etc in my pocket. When I dried off, I remembered the light sensor [emoji35]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 21:45   #542
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,621
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Small things:

Lanacoat is great for many things but is a poor substitute for Tef-gel on stainless screws in a mast. It will be squeezed out when tightened as well as wash out. Screws will be welded permanently in a few years. . Get some tef-gel and take out and reinstall as many screws as possible before stepping mast.

What size VHF coax are you getting? Are you using the same antenna for AIS? (with a splitter). If so, RG8X is the minimium. LMR400 is better but expensive.

Be sure to waterproof the PL259 connector going on the antenna. Pack the interior with some form of dielectric grease then apply rescue tape plus an outer layer of Scotch 33 electric tape. Or better - use CoaxSeal and Stuf shown at the bottom of this page. Together they are only $10. https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-002233

Be sure to lubricate the threads of your rigging turnbuckles with the lanacoat or other good anti-seize to avoid galling when you tighten them after stepping. Easy to ruin them.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 23:20   #543
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Be careful with black paint and electricity. I used to work with high voltage and one thing we were all taught was that sometimes black pigments are carbon black. And are conductive.
This goes for plastics as well as paint.
Ok, but not sure what the application or danger would be with possibly conducting black paint pigment on a definitely conducting aluminum surface.

Unsure what you are saying to watch out for here
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 23:25   #544
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
When I last had my mast down to re-rig, I installed a new masthead light. Was really pissed it wasn’t working when mast was back up. Did a lot of wire checking and reconnecting. Even walked backwards off the dock into the water while looking up to see if it was working, while fully dressed, with (ex) phone and wallet etc in my pocket. When I dried off, I remembered the light sensor [emoji35]
Wow! OK, I feel like I got off easy on my misadventure with the light sensor on the anchor light. I can’t believe you fell in the water. Wow.

Sometimes new technology can be really frustrating.

Also, it’s pretty hard to even see the purpose of these light sensors. What are we going to leave the anchor light on all the time? What about going sailing and motoring? Then you have a new problem and you have to remember to turn it off.

Pretty hard to see the point of this particular technology. You still have to keep track of the anchor light all the time.

A smarter technique rather than this light sensor would be to just leave it on all the time if you want it on without thinking about it. Leave it on all day and night. It’s LED so no power issue doing that.

But thanks for sharing your story. I guess it can happen to everyone
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 23:34   #545
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Small things:

Lanacoat is great for many things but is a poor substitute for Tef-gel on stainless screws in a mast. It will be squeezed out when tightened as well as wash out. Screws will be welded permanently in a few years. . Get some tef-gel and take out and reinstall as many screws as possible before stepping mast.

What size VHF coax are you getting? Are you using the same antenna for AIS? (with a splitter). If so, RG8X is the minimium. LMR400 is better but expensive.

Be sure to waterproof the PL259 connector going on the antenna. Pack the interior with some form of dielectric grease then apply rescue tape plus an outer layer of Scotch 33 electric tape. Or better - use CoaxSeal and Stuf shown at the bottom of this page. Together they are only $10. https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-002233

Be sure to lubricate the threads of your rigging turnbuckles with the lanacoat or other good anti-seize to avoid galling when you tighten them after stepping. Easy to ruin them.

Good advice after the fact. It would be nice to have known that before hand about Lanacote. It’s marketed to do this and specifically stated as a main use for the product by the manufacturer:

https://www.forespar.com/products/bo...%20masts%20etc.

Too late.

Here is the quote from the Lanacote site in case you didn’t want to click through:

LanoCoteģ also combats galvanization where dissimilar metals are fastened together, such as stainless steel fittings on alloy masts etc. Formulated to withstand salt water marine conditions, LanoCoteģ is particularly useful in preventing thread seizure due to all types of corrosion on boats and machinery. Applied during assembly, LanoCoteģ will greatly assist in easy dismantling years later.

And what do you mean what coax am I getting? It’s already installed. Again, too late.

I installed this: Ancor 151710 Marine Grade Electrical Coaxial Cable (RG213, 100-Feet)

I’ll be sure to pack the coax adapter well. That is something it's not too late to do. Thank you. Yes, I plan to use the splitter technique someday for ais.

Very good tip on lubricating the turnbuckles! I hadn't thought of doing that. Still time to get a little on the diamonds for the threads that tighten into it from this point. (Again, obviously too late to do the whole thing). But the 5 turnbuckles on the forestay and shrouds can definitely be done in full
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 03:18   #546
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 3,075
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Re: Lanocote. I far prefer Tef-gel, but there seems to be a shortage of that substance in the world--all the stores I frequent are out--so I'm comfortable using Lanocote instead, at least until I can re-do with Tef-gel in a couple years. I have Lanocote-treated bolts that took apart smooth after five years of getting soaked with saltwater and other weather at the gunwale.
Up the mast, where saltwater rarely goes, I worry about it less, as long as I got good thread-coating with Lanocote. It does harden with time, but the barrier between bolt and hole threads remains.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 03:54   #547
always in motion is the future
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 19,206
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Re: Lanocote. I far prefer Tef-gel, but there seems to be a shortage of that substance in the world--all the stores I frequent are out--so I'm comfortable using Lanocote instead, at least until I can re-do with Tef-gel in a couple years. I have Lanocote-treated bolts that took apart smooth after five years of getting soaked with saltwater and other weather at the gunwale.
Up the mast, where saltwater rarely goes, I worry about it less, as long as I got good thread-coating with Lanocote. It does harden with time, but the barrier between bolt and hole threads remains.
Wow, I didn’t know this… there is one product that does even better than Tefgel in the tests but that is sold out too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B74AB5C

(Luckily I have a supply of both)
__________________
ďItís a trap!Ē - Admiral Ackbar.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 04:16   #548
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

I wonder why these are sold out. Raw material shortage? Main ingredient shortage?

Or too many wind turbine projects going on at sea? Ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 04:31   #549
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

This is the best on the market currently, cheaper than tef gel and much better, used under another name in the aeronautical industry, it is very sticky, it does not go away even with pressurized water aka Karcher, it acts as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor between dissimilar metals.

100% recommended.
Attached Images
 
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 05:25   #550
always in motion is the future
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 19,206
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Surprisingly, I see Tefgel is available on Amazon, no shortage of it apparent.

Duralac isnít sold in the US because you get cancer when you use it (joke but not really). It is replaced with a thread locker.

Hereís some insight: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...ff-gel.165573/
__________________
ďItís a trap!Ē - Admiral Ackbar.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 05:42   #551
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Posts: 6,526
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Wow! OK, I feel like I got off easy on my misadventure with the light sensor on the anchor light. I canít believe you fell in the water. Wow.

Sometimes new technology can be really frustrating.

Also, itís pretty hard to even see the purpose of these light sensors. What are we going to leave the anchor light on all the time? What about going sailing and motoring? Then you have a new problem and you have to remember to turn it off.

Pretty hard to see the point of this particular technology. You still have to keep track of the anchor light all the time.

A smarter technique rather than this light sensor would be to just leave it on all the time if you want it on without thinking about it. Leave it on all day and night. Itís LED so no power issue doing that.

But thanks for sharing your story. I guess it can happen to everyone

I think it's a convenience for spending a few days at anchor in the same spot. You can just leave the switch on until you're ready to pull the anchor, but the light shuts off during the day, saving you the tiny amount of power the light draws. With modern LED stuff it's probably not enough power to care about (I've definitely left my anchor light on for a couple of days non-stop and not cared). But I guess every bit counts for some people.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 22:07   #552
Registered User
 
fxykty's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indonesia
Boat: Outremer 55L
Posts: 3,924
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think it's a convenience for spending a few days at anchor in the same spot. You can just leave the switch on until you're ready to pull the anchor, but the light shuts off during the day, saving you the tiny amount of power the light draws. With modern LED stuff it's probably not enough power to care about (I've definitely left my anchor light on for a couple of days non-stop and not cared). But I guess every bit counts for some people.

What he says.

Also, our light is a tri-light plus anchor light. While cruising we leave the main switch on all the time and flip between anchor light and tri-light depending on whether we will be sailing at night. Just need to remember to turn it off at the main switch if in a marina or hauled out, but that doesnít happen very often.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 01:50   #553
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittwater NSW Aust.
Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Posts: 329
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
This is the best on the market currently, cheaper than tef gel and much better, used under another name in the aeronautical industry, it is very sticky, it does not go away even with pressurized water aka Karcher, it acts as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor between dissimilar metals.

100% recommended.
One of the messiest products know to mankind! (But really good)
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 02:24   #554
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think it's a convenience for spending a few days at anchor in the same spot. You can just leave the switch on until you're ready to pull the anchor, but the light shuts off during the day, saving you the tiny amount of power the light draws. With modern LED stuff it's probably not enough power to care about (I've definitely left my anchor light on for a couple of days non-stop and not cared). But I guess every bit counts for some people.
Maybe that is the answer actually. Instead of tying your anchor light duties to the light and dark cycle of the earth, you just tie them to your anchor routine.

In that case, it’s not too bad. But I still have to remember to turn on my deck light every night, so it’s basically useless still in my application.

Also, it can be used like a regular anchor light. So I can just turn it on and off like I normally would with the deck light.

Probably the only real advantage is that it won’t show people that I have overslept ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 05:11   #555
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
One of the messiest products know to mankind! (But really good)
Hahaha, not yet , the winner is 3m 5200..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rigging

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New here: lots and lots and lots of questions :) Plan D Multihull Sailboats 59 07-06-2020 05:28
Restoring 'Windsong' - Various Updates [Lots of Pics] Beersmith Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 23-08-2011 13:48
I've posted lots of pics James S Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 11-11-2008 07:42

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.