Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2023, 15:08   #481

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Are the wires with more strands more susceptible to corrosion owing to greater surface area? I mistakenly ordered some heavy wire with lots of small strands. Then I ordered another batch with less strands. Thinking I'll use the less strands.
I would think yes, but if moisture is getting in, neither will last as long as you want. Make sure the ends are sealed well and either should last fine. The finer stranded wire may be easier to work with for installation.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 16:36   #482

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I would think yes, but if moisture is getting in, neither will last as long as you want. Make sure the ends are sealed well and either should last fine. The finer stranded wire may be easier to work with for installation.

If water gets in then you are going to see corrosion

Also you canít push flexible wire but yes it can help at the terminal end for orientation of the terminal

If youíre really anal you can use a hypodermic needle and some conformal coating on the wire ends after crimping

So it kind of depends which is ďbetter ď
Old 08-09-2023, 18:34   #483

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

After crimping, spray the end of the terminal with CRC Soft Seal; it is initially water thin, wicks up any gaps in the lay of the wire, then slowly sets into a semi soft wax.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 00:12   #484

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

What I see in the picture is a combination deck steaming light, it usually has a gland in the back and the connections are protected inside, you put 2 strong tie zips in the opening or a knot.
I have connected hundreds of lights on a mast, vhf`s and all kinds of gizmos on a stick, I have tried to always leave all the connections protected from the weather, but I see that deck light and it is disconcerting. Are the wires supposed to face backwards?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:40   #485

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
What I see in the picture is a combination deck steaming light, it usually has a gland in the back and the connections are protected inside, you put 2 strong tie zips in the opening or a knot.
I have connected hundreds of lights on a mast, vhf`s and all kinds of gizmos on a stick, I have tried to always leave all the connections protected from the weather, but I see that deck light and it is disconcerting. Are the wires supposed to face backwards?
You were talking about this thing? I like the idea of the zip ties. You just zip tie the wiring to itself so that the strain is taken off of the connections? I need to do that. I should do the same thing for the tricolor/anchor light as well.

I’m not sure what you mean about the wires facing backwards on this light.

Since I am not at the Mast at the moment, here is a link to the product as well as two pictures of it from the Internet that show the wire leads in the back.

The one picture that’s attached at the very bottom of this post is the picture you are referring to. From earlier in the thread.

https://www.forespar.com/products/sa...ow-light.shtml

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E3D962B-D58C-4102-A11B-174D7313BAD7.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	280719  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:46   #486

Oh ok now I see the photo from another perspective, look I wouldn't make splices there, it's a matter for each one, I would have disassembled the light and brought the cables inside, if there is a long distance from the deck light to the deck, I would tie a knot, and I would forget about the zip tie, if it fails, many feet of hanging wire stress the splices, that's why I like wires directly to the internal connections, a lot of distance to cover, knot. Few ft, zip ties.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:29   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Oh ok now I see the photo from another perspective, look I wouldn't make splices there, it's a matter for each one, I would have disassembled the light and brought the cables inside, if there is a long distance from the deck light to the deck, I would tie a knot, and I would forget about the zip tie, if it fails, many feet of hanging wire stress the splices, that's why I like wires directly to the internal connections, a lot of distance to cover, knot. Few ft, zip ties.
What about tape then? If you think a zip tie would fail, taping it instead of zip tying would solve the problem.

You could bend the wire in a U shape with the connectors on one straight side of the U. Then you could tape the wire to itself, bringing both sides of the U together.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:45   #488

It can be effective, yes, although I've never done it, I've usually always tied a simple knot, I know that doesn't fail.

I once had to pull up a downed wire from 38 40 ft with a hook, believe me ,it's a pain in the ass.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:47   #489

In any case, if you decide to use zip ties, use good quality and double it.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:03   #490

. This topic was concerning me a little bit. I probably should have asked some thing about it.

I’m glad you came in and mentioned it. It was in the back of my head thinking about the pressure on the connectors.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:27   #491

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Back to standing rigging a moment.

Almost time to tune the double diamond stays.

Thinking these should be pretty tight but not overly crazy tight because their sole purpose is to keep the mast in column athwartship. Tight with no play, but not trying to really compress the mast.

As the mast starts to go out of column, they take over quite quickly. There is no stretch since the diamond stays came with the mast and have already stretched.

Thinking similar tightness to the martingale stay before the martingale stay is loaded.

I know you have all the info you need. But Iím visual and found watching the Selden head honcho and others tune the diamond shrouds eye opening. This is the video Jedi recommended I think.
Iíll save you the trouble. Just watch from 2:00 to 6:45. Less than 4 minutes🤣

https://youtu.be/DQSlcywpsYY?si=u1WUG7Edzrj-Nxjx
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:47   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I know you have all the info you need. But I’m visual and found watching the Selden head honcho and others tune the diamond shrouds eye opening. This is the video Jedi recommended I think.
I’ll save you the trouble. Just watch from 2:00 to 6:45. Less than 4 minutes��

https://youtu.be/DQSlcywpsYY?si=u1WUG7Edzrj-Nxjx
Now THAT is what I need whwn it comes to videos!

I don’t need five minutes of some guy talking about his dog or politics before he gets started. Lol Straight to the point. Less than four minutes. I’m actually on Wi-Fi right now so I’m going to check it out.

Edit: I would say 3:30-6:46. that first couple minutes was really annoying. Ha ha. God do I hate videos.

Even just those few minutes felt like a huge waste of time. Sitting there listening to them babble on about the screws they found on the ground. Who cares? Just show me what I’m trying to look at. That’s why it’s so much better on a written document. I can skip the paragraph about the screws.

I kind of can’t believe how much longer it takes to learn things like this over a video than it does looking at a document with pictures.

If you wanted to learn everything in that entire video, it would waste 46 minutes of your life.

if you wanted to learn everything contained in that video but in a format where it was written out with pictures and bold headings on the tops of each topic, it would take you about 15 minutes. Maybe. If you were slow.

I feel like videos are good if you are really bored and doing nothing or super high or something. Otherwise, it’s just too slow. I can’t get the information out of it fast enough.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:02   #493

Example:

*Measure 2 meters on wire. For every 1 mm of stretch in that segment, you are putting 5% of breaking strength on the wire

*evenly tighten the diamonds. if you do three turns on one side you need to do three turns on the other side.

*Tighten diamonds to 15% breaking strength

how long would it take someone to read everything in my post above this line and learn it? 5 seconds? 10?

it takes 4 minutes and 45 seconds to learn the same thing by video while listening to them rambling on about screws they found on the ground
Old 09-09-2023, 05:40   #494

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Iím dying to see the boat! Been following these threads for a long time and Iím dying to see this catamaran. Chotu, Can you share some pics? 😁😁😁 Ö pretty pleaseÖ
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:57   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuescum View Post
I’m dying to see the boat! Been following these threads for a long time and I’m dying to see this catamaran. Chotu, Can you share some pics? ������ … pretty please…

I definitely don’t prefer to have my home on the Internet for everyone to see. In the past, I have received death threats, people threatening to burn the boat down while I was building it. That last one was particularly disturbing because I couldn’t move it anywhere. It was still under construction. I would leave the construction site and I was very worried. The death threats aren’t very scary because well, I’m the wrong guy to pick for that. Lol the intruder will end up dead . Ha ha. But there are some absolute lunatics out here. So, I am pretty reluctant to be posting things publicly like that. Just little pictures is all I can do. Things that don’t identify the boat.

so I am terribly sorry, but I’m not really down to put my information out online everywhere.

once the hurricane damage is fixed, maybe I can share some pictures with you privately. I at least want her looking good if I’m going to send a picture.

Tags
rigging