Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2023, 03:57   #451

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have an airmar mounted on a bed of epoxy on the inside of the port hull, works great at depths over 6’, below that it’s fluky. On the starboard side we have a $100 Hawkeye mounted in mineral spirits on the inside of the hull, works flawlessly at lower depths but gets fluky in depths of 30’+.
Both these are mounted on solid laminate and require no hole in the boat and don’t have a problem with bottom growth, which I like.
As Jedi mentioned, doesn’t work mounting inside a hull if shooting through core. You can cut away the inner skin, de core and build up the laminate from the inside if one wants to have a depth sounder mounted on the inside of a cored hull.

Yes. I don’t know if it’s clear or not but that’s what I did. Mine was mounted in liquid Epoxy because that was the latest internet consensus. Didn’t work at any water depth for me. Makes the clicking sound, doesn’t return a depth reading.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:04   #452
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes. I donít know if itís clear or not but thatís what I did. Mine was mounted in liquid Epoxy because that was the latest internet consensus. Didnít work at any water depth for me. Makes the clicking sound, doesnít return a depth reading.

Yeah, just wasnít sure if you have a core below waterline or not. Mounting in a small tub of mineral spirits no doubt made ours more sensitive than mounted in the epoxy.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:34   #453

Sheaves not right. Slightly bigger than ordered.

Options:

1) leave out the spacer plates between sheaves having them slightly loose (but are bronze on stainless)

2) jam in with spacers and they don’t turn well.

I’m thinking #1….
Old 06-09-2023, 05:35   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yeah, just wasnít sure if you have a core below waterline or not. Mounting in a small tub of mineral spirits no doubt made ours more sensitive than mounted in the epoxy.
I do. Iím sure your method worked better since mine didnít work at all. Lol
Old 06-09-2023, 05:38   #455
smj

Quote:
I do. Iím sure your method worked better since mine didnít work at all. Lol

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 06-09-2023, 05:43   #456

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The core is almost certainly the issue. Removing the core in a section would allow the shoot through setup to work.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:49   #457
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Back in post #445 I explained that a transducer shooting through the hull only works without a core. Every installation instruction has that in big boldface print. Why is everything so difficult?

Lashings, done many times many pages back. I guess I need a break from this thread.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:24   #458

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why is everything so difficult?
Forum rules do not allow for an answer to this question. *

Quote:
I guess I need a break from this thread.
You've demonstrated great patience so for.

* jk. A little...
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:38   #459

Quote:
Back in post #445 I explained that a transducer shooting through the hull only works without a core. Every installation instruction has that in big boldface print. Why is everything so difficult?

Lashings, done many times many pages back. I guess I need a break from this thread.

Yes. Everyone knows that you donít shoot through the core when shooting through the hull. No one has questioned that in the entire thread. Standard procedure. I donít know why you keep saying that. Over and over and over again I have said that I put mine in liquid epoxy. This has to be the third or fourth time I have said that in the past few pages. I installed my through the hull sounder eight years ago. Iím not sure why everyone is talking about it. I didnít ask a single question about sounders in this thread. This is a standing rigging thread. Maybe I need a break also ha ha.

Temporary lashings were somewhat unclear since 3 different people said 3 different things. 2 of them are professional riggers who own rigging shops, so Iím not throwing out their advice. Im listening to all.

Bowline to shrouds, then lashings with the bitter ends after a few loops seems good. I just donít know how to do the lashings and things are not loading well. Im getting severely deprioritized and canít load a pdf today. So Iím just trying to see how to do and terminate the lashings, which the yacht rigger was going to send a video of, but got too busy.

Nothing is as complicated as itís being made out to be.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:41   #460

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Yes. Everyone knows that you donít shoot through the core when shooting through the hull. No one has questioned that in the entire thread. Standard procedure. I donít know why you keep saying that. Over and over and over again I have said that I put mine in liquid epoxy. This has to be the third or fourth time I have said that in the past few pages. I installed my through the hull sounder eight years ago. Iím not sure why everyone is talking about it. I didnít ask a single question about sounders in this thread. This is a standing rigging thread. Maybe I need a break also ha ha.

Temporary lashings were somewhat unclear since 3 different people said 3 different things. 2 of them are professional riggers who own rigging shops, so Iím not throwing out their advice. Im listening to all.

Bowline to shrouds, then lashings with the bitter ends after a few loops seems good. I just donít know how to do the lashings and things are not loading well. Im getting severely deprioritized and canít load a pdf today. So Iím just trying to see how to do and terminate the lashings, which the yacht rigger was going to send a video of, but got too busy.

Nothing is as complicated as itís being made out to be.

Oops! Sorry Chotu. Stupid Hurricane Idalia got me distracted. I can still do the video if you need me to?
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:46   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
Oops! Sorry Chotu. Stupid Hurricane Idalia got me distracted. I can still do the video if you need me to?
Itís ok. You got busy. Thatís a good thing. Canít be doing a bunch of remedial pro-bono work. Ha ha.

Only if you think of doing it and are bored. I just donít understand the steps of the lashing part to finish up. Definitely do real, paying work and donít worry about me.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:47   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The core is almost certainly the issue. Removing the core in a section would allow the shoot through setup to work.
I don’t understand why no one is reading my posts.

I said that I put it in liquid epoxy 5 times now. There is no core. It was in liquid epoxy. I’m not even asking anything about transducers. But for some reason everyone’s talking about them. Why?

Jedi introduced the topic of transducers by saying I need to run a transducer wire through the main structural bulkhead (he was thinking of a monohull). I responded that I don’t have to run it there and it’s nowhere near the centerline of my boat. That’s it.

I’ve had my transducer installed for 8 years now. I got a free forward scan sonar from a promo. I’m trying that out. That’s all that’s going on.

I asked nothing about transducers, I have no questions about them. I have one that’s been installed in liquid epoxy for 8 years. It doesn’t work. It has nothing to do with this thread.

My brain hurts. Why is everyone talking about transducers?

Feeling like I need a break too
Old 06-09-2023, 10:19   #463
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I don’t understand why no one is reading my posts.

I said that I put it in liquid epoxy 5 times now. There is no core.
There, this is the first time you write that you have no core. Previously you said you did, see attachment.

Smj: not sure if you have a core.
Chotu: I do and it doesn’t work at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	280581  

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:33   #464
smj

Quote:
There, this is the first time you write that you have no core. Previously you said you did, see attachment.

Smj: not sure if you have a core.
Chotu: I do and it doesnít work at all

No core on the very bottom
Old 06-09-2023, 10:50   #465

OK. To clear up the confusion, let me explain some details. Then can we please drop the talk about transducers? I had no questions about transducers. I asked nothing at all about them at all.

My boat’s laminate schedule:

————
36oz triax
25mm (1inch) corecell
36oz triax
————-

All 36oz triax has the uni fibers running uninterrupted from the bow to the stern.

Locally, there are some high density foam areas and extra fiberglass layers as needed.

For instance, in the keel area, there is an extra 24oz biax tape outside the hull on top of other layers of extra 24oz tape both inside the hull and outside. All of that glass is around 1” corecell.

The transducer is in the forward starboard hull. It’s in an area that has been decored with a hole saw and then liquid epoxy poured in to mount the transducer. It doesn’t work.

My theory is in 100 degree northern Florida heat, the big lump of epoxy overheated a little bit and got bubbles in it. There is no direct evidence of this, but what else could it be, really?

Now, Can we please stop talking about transducers? This has nothing to do with standing rigging. All I was doing was obliging the conversation about them. But it is become quite a negative on the thread. It has frustrated both jedi and myself. Lol and probably everyone else.

I would really prefer to talk about the standing rigging in here. Not only that, I don’t even have questions about transducers. You guys just want to talk about them. But maybe we should make a new thread to chat about them. I don’t know.

Tags
rigging