Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 06:10   #436
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Find a spot for this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094R928LJ

Then cut the opening at the same height as the opening of this so that the wires form a drip-loop.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:30   #437

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Find a spot for this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094R928LJ

Then cut the opening at the same height as the opening of this so that the wires form a drip-loop.
I appreciate the input, but I canít use that. I canít go through the deck with it. I have to go through the wall of the deck house. Because I donít want to cut holes in my main structural bulkhead.

Plus, all of the running rigging is going through the deck house wall as well, so wires though the same opening (but in a conduit for appearance purposes) will do the trick.

Question is where do I drill the hole in the mast wall?

Biggest side of the oval?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:23   #438

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I appreciate the input, but I can’t use that. I can’t go through the deck with it. I have to go through the wall of the deck house. Because I don’t want to cut holes in my main structural bulkhead.

Plus, all of the running rigging is going through the deck house wall as well, so wires though the same opening (but in a conduit for appearance purposes) will do the trick.

Question is where do I drill the hole in the mast wall?

Biggest side of the oval?
Okay, you need to work out if running rigging is gonna chafe/touch the wiring, how to route that safely.

Edit: how do you route the wiring for depth transducer?

Old 05-09-2023, 10:47   #439

Quote:
Okay, you need to work out if running rigging is gonna chafe/touch the wiring, how to route that safely.

Edit: how do you route the wiring for depth transducer?
Yes. Quick and dirty sketch here it will be something like this.

Depth? You mean wind transducer? Depth is not near these things. Depth is a “shoot the sonar through the hull” installation in liquid epoxy and it doesn’t work. I also have a forward looking sonar I’m going to try to put somewhere.

Anyway, it will be something like this.

Middle piece with the hash marks is an electrical conduit to keep the wires together.

4 lines by mast are halyards, reefing and mainsheet lines will be coming down there too.

Lines are far edges taking 90 degree turns are sheets, daggerboard control lines.

Electrical can run right down the centerline once it exits the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF6676D0-447B-47D9-AF33-E7053C1718AD.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	280555  
Old 05-09-2023, 11:49   #440

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Chotu nothing bad will happen if you make a small hole in the main bulkhead to pass the wires, if you want peace of mind, make the hole and pass a metal bushing, if you want it to be watertight, also put a wire gland.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:23   #441

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Or you can use one of these with FG, ++ peace of mind.
Attached Images

neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 13:28   #442

Hmmm. I’ll have to give these options some thought.

Either way, going out the bottom of the mast doesn’t seem very good.

So, I’ll still need to drill the hole into the side of the mast which is what I was asking about.
Old 05-09-2023, 16:09   #443

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmmm. Iíll have to give these options some thought.

Either way, going out the bottom of the mast doesnít seem very good.

So, Iíll still need to drill the hole into the side of the mast which is what I was asking about.
Yes, the side of the mast, your drawing is okay. I also recommend to use that drip loop and go straight down.

About the depth transducer: it should also be forward of the bulkhead so you have that wire too. Combine and make a pass through at the top of the bulkhead. You donít even need to close it. I like a piece of fiberglass pipe that I glue in.

Forget the forward looking sonar, they are useless, I removed mine and closed the holes in the hull.

Old 05-09-2023, 16:29   #444

Quote:
Yes, the side of the mast, your drawing is okay. I also recommend to use that drip loop and go straight down.

About the depth transducer: it should also be forward of the bulkhead so you have that wire too. Combine and make a pass through at the top of the bulkhead. You don’t even need to close it. I like a piece of fiberglass pipe that I glue in.

Forget the forward looking sonar, they are useless, I removed mine and closed the holes in the hull.

OK. Side of the mast it is. Straight down… maybe. I’ll probably let that ruminate until next year when I am doing the running rigging

Transducer. You’re not picturing this boat. You’re picturing your boat. It doesn’t work like that on a catamaran. Lol. Transducer has been installed for many years and does not work. As was mentioned above. Wiring goes nowhere near the mast or centerline of the boat. The forward looking sonar is going to be my only depth sounder. I guess. It’s the one I have. So it will be put to use. They are actually pretty great. I have heard a lot of good things about them. It doesn’t involve a hole in the hull. So it doesn’t hurt to give it a try. It will come from somewhere astern I guess. I still have to work that out next year or whatever.
Old 05-09-2023, 19:47   #445

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK. Side of the mast it is. Straight downÖ maybe. Iíll probably let that ruminate until next year when I am doing the running rigging

Transducer. Youíre not picturing this boat. Youíre picturing your boat. It doesnít work like that on a catamaran. Lol. Transducer has been installed for many years and does not work. As was mentioned above. Wiring goes nowhere near the mast or centerline of the boat. The forward looking sonar is going to be my only depth sounder. I guess. Itís the one I have. So it will be put to use. They are actually pretty great. I have heard a lot of good things about them. It doesnít involve a hole in the hull. So it doesnít hurt to give it a try. It will come from somewhere astern I guess. I still have to work that out next year or whatever.
Okay. The only reliable depth sensor I know is an Airmar thru-hull transducer near the bow. You would have to choose which bow. I have seen most cats having this and it works great.

Through the hull sounding only works on solid laminate. I have that too (you know I tried everything). It worksÖ but to limited depth readings. I have the Airmar housing still in there, probably still filled with mineral oil but the thru-hull transducer is fine so Iíve basically switched to that.

The forward looking sonar s@cks. I had the super-duper model. They are bankrupt now, which says it all. Itís two large thru-hull transducers with fairing blocks, one for the vertical sweep and one for the horizontal sweep.

What does work is the Furuno spotlight sonar. Those lower down and scan like a spotlight. Start at $20k I think.

Keep it simple, the Airmar Smart (Bluetooth) dst310 is just fine, works with all instruments and can be configured from the Airmar app so no lock-in to a brand of electronics. And itís cheap.

Old 05-09-2023, 23:45   #446

Quote:
Okay. The only reliable depth sensor I know is an Airmar thru-hull transducer near the bow. You would have to choose which bow. I have seen most cats having this and it works great.

Through the hull sounding only works on solid laminate. I have that too (you know I tried everything). It works… but to limited depth readings. I have the Airmar housing still in there, probably still filled with mineral oil but the thru-hull transducer is fine so I’ve basically switched to that.

The forward looking sonar s@cks. I had the super-duper model. They are bankrupt now, which says it all. It’s two large thru-hull transducers with fairing blocks, one for the vertical sweep and one for the horizontal sweep.

What does work is the Furuno spotlight sonar. Those lower down and scan like a spotlight. Start at $20k I think.

Keep it simple, the Airmar Smart (Bluetooth) dst310 is just fine, works with all instruments and can be configured from the Airmar app so no lock-in to a brand of electronics. And it’s cheap.

I’ll take a look at the airmar.

The company that produced my forward looking sonar (Raymarine) is not out of business. They are in use every day on thousands and thousands of boats that are out fishing. I’m going to stick it in the water and see what it’s like. This is what it looks like on the display:

No reason not to try it since I have it. It’s meant to be mounted externally off the transom of a sport fisher (no rocker) so it’s a challenge to see how to do that on my boat. I’ll probably devise a way to just lower it from the bridge deck or a hull when needed.

My current depth sounder is mounted in the starboard bow. In liquid epoxy. Doesn’t work. Can’t get a reading through the epoxy apparently. I’m not thrilled with that technique. It’s something that works online but not in real life. Like VHB tape and sealant on very large polycarbonate windows. Works great online. In real life the thermal expansion requires frames. I feel like this is kind of the same.

I’ve also tried everything. But as it would appear neither of us has tried everything. I haven’t tried Airmar and you haven’t tried Raymarine. I’ll try Raymarine first since it involves nothing more than lowering it into the water to see if I like it. From there, I can explore buying new things if I don’t.

For about 75-90% of my life on the water, I haven’t had any working depth sounder at all (since they never seem to work), so it’s not all that crucial at this moment to the standing rigging project. It’s a side topic for later.

Accurate positioning and a lead line have worked for everything I’ve needed in those 25+ years aboard without 2 groundings.

1) I hit a big lump of mud in the center of the icw channel during an active dredging project. Maybe I should have went around the dredging differently. I didn’t know.

2) the fish trap was off station next to the harbor in Hatteras last spring. I was relying on my eyes too much and not the gps and got in too shallow between a sandbar and the fish trap because it was off station.

So it’s on the “nice to have” list rather than the “must have" list.

There are a lot of more important things I need to get done
Old 06-09-2023, 00:28   #447

Also, the mast is within about a week of being done. I still don’t have the exact plan on how to run the temporary and fast 6 mm dyneema at the crane.

The yacht rigger had volunteered some pro Bono work making a video of it but he got too busy with real work.

It also would appear I have quite a bit of 9 mm dyneema left off the roll which could be used.

without doing splices at the crane, how can I quickly get this together so that I can get vertical and leave the crane and then work on perfecting it somewhere else?
Old 06-09-2023, 02:18   #448
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Also, the mast is within about a week of being done. I still donít have the exact plan on how to run the temporary and fast 6 mm dyneema at the crane.

The yacht rigger had volunteered some pro Bono work making a video of it but he got too busy with real work.

It also would appear I have quite a bit of 9 mm dyneema left off the roll which could be used.

without doing splices at the crane, how can I quickly get this together so that I can get vertical and leave the crane and then work on perfecting it somewhere else?
I think it's been suggested upthread that you tie a bowline in the 6mm to deadend it at the shroud, run your three passes, and tie off the bitter end as a lashing. That will hold your mast up just fine until you can make a strop, and replace the lashings one by one as you relieve each shroud with a tensioned halyard.
It's what I'd do, given what I know so far of your situation.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:33   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I think it's been suggested upthread that you tie a bowline in the 6mm to deadend it at the shroud, run your three passes, and tie off the bitter end as a lashing. That will hold your mast up just fine until you can make a strop, and replace the lashings one by one as you relieve each shroud with a tensioned halyard.
It's what I'd do, given what I know so far of your situation.
Ok, thatís easy. Things got so complicated with the debates on this part, I forgot.

Thanks. Iíll do that.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:43   #450
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have an airmar mounted on a bed of epoxy on the inside of the port hull, works great at depths over 6í, below that itís fluky. On the starboard side we have a $100 Hawkeye mounted in mineral spirits on the inside of the hull, works flawlessly at lower depths but gets fluky in depths of 30í+.
Both these are mounted on solid laminate and require no hole in the boat and donít have a problem with bottom growth, which I like.
As Jedi mentioned, doesnít work mounting inside a hull if shooting through core. You can cut away the inner skin, de core and build up the laminate from the inside if one wants to have a depth sounder mounted on the inside of a cored hull.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging