Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2023, 07:42   #421

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

It appears that in the center of the spreader bracket there is a compression tube with a bolt that goes through from one side to the other.

The 2 small holes will be for attaching the spreader to the bracket with screws.

The other large hole could be to pass the wires of a radar that was previously there, as I see 2 radar brackets as well.

The spreaders are always screwed or bolted to the bracket.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:46   #422
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
OK. I guess it is far enough up that it doesnít look ugly having the wires hanging out at the spreaders running to the lights?

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. Despite the fact that no one else who has worked on this boat has been one lol

I guess I will also try to take a look at some boats around here to see what they are doing with that. A little double check.

Iím thinking those are just drainage holes because the spreader canít go anywhere at all given itís a double diamond. It is incredibly tightly squeezed into that slot.
I have a hole with three cables and they braided them. You also need rubber grommets inserted in the hole. I wrap the cable with rescue tape so that it wedges into the hole, acting as a strain relief.

For a diamond stay I would think you are good because the stay is tensioned while stepping/unstepping the mast. With shrouds it would fall out.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:48   #423

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

3 out of 4 halyards complete.

It was much more time consuming than it should have been because some geniuses who put this mast together initially lined the whole thing with foam that obscures things from view and has to be torn out to fish halyards.

Also, the “rigger” in the Carolinas managed to thread the messenger through some u bolts that hold the mast conduit in place so I had to fix that also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1714FE97-7702-4432-8FB5-433DB2194E1F.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	280486  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 14:11   #424

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
3 out of 4 halyards complete.

It was much more time consuming than it should have been because some geniuses who put this mast together initially lined the whole thing with foam that obscures things from view and has to be torn out to fish halyards.

Also, the ďriggerĒ in the Carolinas managed to thread the messenger through some u bolts that hold the mast conduit in place so I had to fix that also.

It is a pain, but worth it, to ensure that as you are fishing halyards through for the first time that they are not wrapping around other halyards already in place. Sounds like youíre on top of that, so well done. Progress!!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 15:18   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
It is a pain, but worth it, to ensure that as you are fishing halyards through for the first time that they are not wrapping around other halyards already in place. Sounds like youíre on top of that, so well done. Progress!!
Definitely!

If itís worth doing, itís worth doing right.

Iím glad to be doing my own rigging because I can be sure there are no mistakes and that everything runs smoothly and easily through the mast.

You can see in the pics I exited the mast above the extension with the halyards. This dyneema is too expensive to be scraping it along inside the extension. Ha ha
Old 03-09-2023, 18:58   #426

Thanks for the input on the spreaders and wiring for the spreader lights

Still trying to decide if I want to put them on the higher spreaders or the lower spreaders.

It looks like I got invoiced for coax cable and the guy who ripped me off kept it.

Any suggestions on what the best VHF/AIS coax cable would be? I have an 80ft run. Is RG8X the good stuff? From Ancor
Old 03-09-2023, 19:27   #427

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the spreaders and wiring for the spreader lights

Still trying to decide if I want to put them on the higher spreaders or the lower spreaders.

It looks like I got invoiced for coax cable and the guy who ripped me off kept it.

Any suggestions on what the best VHF/AIS coax cable would be? I have an 80ft run. Is RG8X the good stuff? From Ancor
Nope, your mast is too tall for that. Here’s what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUX5XG

Edit: spreader lights, lower spreaders

Old 03-09-2023, 22:22   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Nope, your mast is too tall for that. Hereís what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUX5XG

Edit: spreader lights, lower spreaders
I remembered reading something about my mast being too long for one of the coax flavors. Great! RG213 it is!

The primary use of my spreader lights is to light up the boat at anchor, showing the silhouette of the deckhouse and mast. I use them very occasionally to see problems with sails/running rigging at night.

I have a combination steaming/foredeck light also.

They are very bright LED units. I was thinking too spreaders so they could really light the whole place up.

Does that make any difference?
Old 04-09-2023, 05:05   #429

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd put spreader lights on the lower spreaders. I think most will have too wide a beam if up higher and you'll light the whole boat, but not bright enough (other then to show it at anchor).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:16   #430

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have the bright LED too and it works perfectly on the lower spreaders.

The ones I have take 10-30V and are dimmable with a PWM dimmer. I am adding a dimmer to the mizzen spreader lights to be used during cockpit gatherings

Old 04-09-2023, 05:39   #431

Damn. I really wanting to go with the upper spreaders. Ha ha.

The reason being I already have a deck light. And I only use these to light the boat at anchor.

Maybe I should just go with both sets of spreaders like all the fancy boats.

And that mizzenmast dimmer sounds great. Lights are so fancy these days. Maybe you can get something to change the frequency and shoot infrared out of them for those chilly days on the cockpit . Ha ha
Old 04-09-2023, 05:51   #432

Boat: Tartan 40

Good choice on symmetric chute. Yes Iím a monohull but also an easily driven relatively fast one.
I used it yesterday in light air from 170 AWA to 100AWA and it hauled me along when I would have been motoring. The ability to sail deep is massive. The funny thing was I was running it at a deep 140-150 AWA and there was a F31 trimaran flying a screecher at angles. He was going faster through the water but every time he gybed by just in front of us we were at the same place.

So, when you want to go DDW, thereís no substitute for deep angles, or in enough breeze, just go DDW with the chute
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:54   #433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Damn. I really wanting to go with the upper spreaders. Ha ha.

The reason being I already have a deck light. And I only use these to light the boat at anchor.

Maybe I should just go with both sets of spreaders like all the fancy boats.

And that mizzenmast dimmer sounds great. Lights are so fancy these days. Maybe you can get something to change the frequency and shoot infrared out of them for those chilly days on the cockpit . Ha ha
I also have a deck light mounted under the steaming light. I have a deck light and four spreader lights and would want all spreader lights at the lower spreaders.

I don’t care what marina queens have, just functionality. Those upward facing spreader lights are nice when your boat cost $100M and a couple can dance on top of the masthead

I use the foredeck light mostly for anchoring at night. For sailing I never had to go to the foredeck at night so I use spreader lights most of the time.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:06   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I also have a deck light mounted under the steaming light. I have a deck light and four spreader lights and would want all spreader lights at the lower spreaders.

I don’t care what marina queens have, just functionality. Those upward facing spreader lights are nice when your boat cost $100M and a couple can dance on top of the masthead

I use the foredeck light mostly for anchoring at night. For sailing I never had to go to the foredeck at night so I use spreader lights most of the time.

I was recently anchored next to the biggest Gunboat ever built. The 90 footer. They and a couple other boats in the anchorage had the red mashed anchor lights. They also had the lights pointing up so you can see the whole mast. There were active seaplanes landing in the harbor also so maybe it was important.

They should get the LED ones that can convert into a disco ball for masthead dancing. Ha ha
Old 05-09-2023, 03:40   #435

Exiting wires:

There is no provision for the wires to exit the mast currently.
Going through the mast base/step is not possible without drilling holes in the aluminum plate, deck and main structural bulkhead. I don’t like that idea even if it hides them from sight.

I’m thinking of taking a hole saw to the mast near the bottom and coming out there to the outdoors. I would still need to stay at deck level with it then come in through the forward wall of the deckhouse (along with all the running rigging).

Where is the best spot to make the new hole in the mast? I am thinking in the center of the widest, most flat face of the oval? So the hole faces exactly to port or starboard?

Tags
rigging