Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2023, 17:30   #301
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Hard to grasp nobody posted this yet, but you better buy some more 4G data Chotu because you simply must watch this mast stepping video from Parley Revival, with the owner of Selden explaining everything incl. pretension etc. He uses the Dedekam method

Also, he limits it to 15% so as not to break the bulkheads (which they just repaired). I think cats can do with 15% because you have a much wider base of course.

This is one of their best videos. The previous one did all the prep work for stepping the mast.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 17:48   #302

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Well, that’s good news. Because I already have the book so I don’t need the video.

It was a quick read. Lots of pictures lol

I have 5G LTE unlimited data. However, once you get above 20 gigs they deprioritize you so that sucks. I don’t like to get to that point because it makes everything difficult
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 18:01   #303

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well, thatís good news. Because I already have the book so I donít need the video.

It was a quick read. Lots of pictures lol

I have 5G LTE unlimited data. However, once you get above 20 gigs they deprioritize you so that sucks. I donít like to get to that point because it makes everything difficult
You must see the video. How could you ignore the owner of Selden masts explaining and showing exactly what you are about to do. Sometimes you are soÖ

Old 20-08-2023, 18:08   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You must see the video. How could you ignore the owner of Selden masts explaining and showing exactly what you are about to do. Sometimes you are so… stubborn and not willing to pay $200/mo for internet/Starlink
Lololololol. People need to put things in a better formats. It’s just not a good format.

I have the rigging book. It has everything I need. Thanks for suggesting it. Also crazy tired and s ht posting at this moment I think. Brain not functioning. 16 hour day bashing into chop. Had to re-tie mast since it came loose a bit, etc.

Also concerned all my cranes are falling through but maybe just exhausted.

Is there a transcript of this video I can read?

Maybe I will sacrifice some bandwidth to this one. At least maybe I can put it on a lower resolution or some thing. My sister ship has a Selden mast. All the same dimensions as mine. And I have the rig plan for it. I have everything. I don’t know that I’m going to get anything out of the video but I guess I will look.
Old 20-08-2023, 18:21   #305

46 minutes!?!?!?! I take it back. Need a transcript. Going to generate one
Old 20-08-2023, 18:24   #306

thank you [Music] hey everyone and welcome to another episode of pilot Revival if you haven't watched part one go back and watch before this one which is linked in the description below so that you'll see all the prep work that went into getting the rig to where we're at now that's sexy we are replacing all of the standing rigging after finding a hairline crack in one of the swage fittings on our rig I swear this week one of the owners of Selden Mass Johannesburg continues to share his Decades of knowledge with us step the mast [Applause] take it for a sea trial much better then tune the ring in order for us to leave French Polynesia a daunting 3 000 miles away from here in Puerto Vallarta Mexico this is the cell intentiometer right here watch until the end to see Jonas and I sit down for a debrief of the whole re-rigging of the boat as he shares his final bits of advice not just for us but for all of you at home as well here we are at this Marina hi my name's Colin I used to be a chief engineer on super yacht but gave it all up to buy a hurricane damage Lagoon 450. my friends and I are fixing it up as we go and are determined to circumnavigate the entire planet subscribe if you want some inspiration to live life to the fullest 20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did so what are you waiting for we had a really really productive day yesterday we're in a good spot right now but as always when it comes to about uh we will find something that we didn't foresee at some point today truer words never spoken so as we had already attached the four diamond shrouds with stay lock fittings and now let's see how it looks like ah look at that baby it was time to put some pre-bend in the Mast which Jonas is going to take us through now the section is 50 millimeters and then we're gonna start cranking until we hit uh where we want to be so we're going to go 670 plus 150. yep that's a good starting point and then uh we do you know we do Shakedown sale we check it out and there will be some tweaking the folding rule uh method is a way to figure out how much uh of of the braking strength of the wire you're at right so on all one by 19 wires so this what I'm going to refer to now is only one by 19. Okay so everyone [Music] that's a magic block we've been looking for these set screws all day and we thought we'd lost them and we can't buy any here in Puerto Vallarta and it holds the little section of the track on for the cars to go up and down so without it we can't Hoist the Mainsail and they've both just found one each on the ground you're amazing so if in between these from the top of the tape here to the bottom of that it's exactly two meters two meters when that Gap has grown by one millimeter that is five percent of the braking strength of a 1 by 19 stainless steel wire and that doesn't matter if it's 12 mil or 16 ml wire and this is just to make sure we don't oh just so we know how much tension we're putting on it yes so if we have four millimeters at the end that's 100 yeah and that's a nice nice place to be on the diamonds yes I will say on the caps on the catamaran I don't think we want to go more than 15 right because you don't want to rebuild your walking no this is the old school traditional way of figuring out without any fancy and it's close enough yeah so you've put it tight on the two meter marks yeah I just it's just hanging yeah so you're gonna see the stretch there yeah so now we will see this creep very cool yeah right up four millimeter right now okay so once we hit five then we have five percent two millimeters we're ten percent so that's one okay that's one and a half now we're at point zero right here yeah like I think the Masters really really straight yeah uh so now with take two turns on one side two turns on the other has to be equal turns yeah so we don't want this to spin we don't want that to spin yeah okay so as we're tensioning the Diamonds the spreaders are actually starting to pull down a little bit so we keep tapping the spreaders up we want them angled a couple of degrees upwards rather than downwards this one looks like it's that way huh so we're at five percent breaking strength uh right now Wow Let's do two more on each side yeah seven eighty two holy crap it came up that much and now we're moving on to the lower diamond now we uh now we're pre-bending down here as well which will make the upper Diamond a bit totally yeah if you squat down and you start to look at the top uh the Masthead you see I had a match head is starting to dip down yeah we can actually take that stand in the center out it doesn't do anything right now yeah okay so we're just uh tightening the end caps of the spreaders now I've always used three four five so you can measure out from the uh from a set point three and then you measure out four the hypotenuse should be five feet so three four and then a five will give you an exact right angle and we want these just slightly um facing upwards so that's the rig pre-band yeah the ring is we've got a nice pre-bend in uh so now it's uh we either run the halyards uh on the right side and then we hang the caps and the lures uh give it a good little rinse and then we hang the uh The Parlor and we are a hundred percent done what we can do here yeah before for tomorrow to go ready for the crane now we just have to take the mask and put it over there because we're putting this thing on we're stepping it tomorrow morning nine o'clock so we're going to get everything ready but first we have to move it [Music] so Jonas wants to give us up give it all a really good wash now he uh doesn't like all of the uh chemicals and dust and all the in the yard um sitting on the rig that mixed with the Salt Air will be really corrosive so we're just going to give it a really damn good wash now okay we just bought the four stay over with the Furler assembly on it this is the last thing we have to do for the day until we put this baby in tomorrow oh I'm so excited look at that it's so tired yeah day and a half and a lot of that was uh little incidentals that held us up I'm so freaking stoked right now John is coming down and doing this for us man and doing it right I'm gonna be able to sleep so well on this passage knowing that we've got a brand new rig and it's installed by Jonas bird from Southern foreign guys but uh very very grateful for it it's gonna be basically a brand new rig so happy you the man you the man I'm the bombero yeah we're ready for lunch tomorrow we're ready aren't we oh we are do you think uh do you think we'll be sailing tomorrow evening I don't want to jinx it but yeah I think so that's enough important stuff first smashed it absolutely smashed it it's gave me an hour and a half oh it's the 60 minutes back at the boat there was one last thing for me to do before we were completely ready to step the Mast okay we're just going to take the old toggles off the chain plates and install the new turnbuckles um the way that Jonas wants to do it is to do the stay locks once the Mast is on so that we can kind of get the length of the wire cut it right and just do it one time and make sure that we uh there's no chance of us making them too long or Too Short in the yard because the boat might be a little bit different than when it came out of the factory so we're just going to knock these pins out put the new stuff in [Music] morning everybody this is the big day we're gonna step the Mast onto parlay so any minute now I'm just going to get up there and we're going to move to this the whole out dock Crane's coming in half an hour so we have Jonas here he uh he's got the um numbers for um the minimum and maximum allowable tension that Lagoon recommend showtime baby [Music] foreign [Music] [Music] thank you good so everything was in place and ready to go so Jonas called a crew meeting to go over the game plan the rig right now in the oak sits were there with the trunk facing up the head box is facing us so we will lift it up and walk it around and then we we need a few people to hold because there's got to be some weight it's a Heather rig we also need some people to make sure the overlay wires do not scratch the deck up and we need two people on the Furler the most important thing with the stroller is that we don't want it to bind up on anything uh it's it's also sensitive to uh bending someone's gonna have to hold this yeah this this is going to swing freely it probably can be way away from this bar that's totally fine just make sure it's got its sag which is okay but as long as it's a long smooth one and not caught on the boom of the of the Crane or twisted around a spreader or something like that all right we're gonna set it down on the step and it's going to be a little wobbly uh so we have to communicate with the crane driver to get because we don't we want it to sit sit that we don't want it to fall back and forth once we get it on the map step we're gonna pin the Frog and then we're gonna ask uh the crane operator to get some of the slack out of the toilet all right yeah that's it right that's it we may stabilize it with uh the main halyard and the topping lift to the sides I will be standing and yelling to you Steve if you stand on that side and I would say pork or strawberry who want who should go more okay I can't see him so you tell me and then what we will do is we take the Caps routes and yesterday we talked about right on top of the lower diamond the fitting right there we've measured it they are identical height on the maps we make the mark and that then we can go and bring them out and do a mark with our stay locks and the rigs the Rick screws are already attached from the sides we put these in and we would do make our marks and then we'll we'll compare the two and whatever we're off uh we split the difference and that will make to start to stand straight no I have no idea how he did that but we just marked a random place on the mast that we were going to use as the even length and put it out to the bearing buckles and it wasn't exactly the right place you didn't know either because you're shooting me right are you this is this is where I'm Mark [Laughter] the fact that our mocks on the shrouds ended up in exactly the same place on the turnbuckles on either side means that Jonas had eyeballed the Mast to be perfectly plump now that's impressive even for Jonas so we do our Cuts we install the stay locks this is also the first time that we've done a uh a 16 mil stay locked fitting we nailed the uh 12 mil stuff now we're cutting these bad boys let's double we only want to cut once two marks the bottom one yeah yeah this is what the tape used to be yeah that's the bottom yeah put it this way I've learned the hardware over the years cutting the Shroud so as you guys know two guys doing anything at the same time is a race [Music] [Applause] [Music] it was like the exact same milliseconds so we showed you how to do a stay lock fitting in the last episode but to recap you open up the outer strands Slide the wedge inside two millimeters okay now we gotta get these back over unravel all of the outer strands back over the wedge ready yeah cool lovely what somebody else a little bit [Music] all right string that is it the tide the tide tide drop cleats nothing's in the groove that's pretty you then slide the fitting over the wedge add a little bit of Loctite for lubrication and screw the stay lock fitting together making sure the former is inside okay on that yeah then form the wires firmly okay inspection oh yeah buddy how's that you see they don't bend as much which is perfectly okay but we have a slight shape yeah and there's no way it's going to push perfect let's tighten it up as hard as we can you then put the final amount of Loctite on the threads screw it together as tight as well how tight Jonas however those stock broke your spot in the market you may have just joined us and are wondering why we didn't use caulking in this fitting well Jonas explains us some great detail in the last episode not to mention the fact that stay locked themselves say that caulking is unnecessary so it's a no-brainer for me feel the rhythm [Laughter] we were able to connect the stay lock fittings to the turnbuckles attached to the chain plates on both sides of the boat yeah baby just like that okay we're good we're good we'll get back together because I don't want any more now until we get the other one going okay here we go okay so we just uh making sure we do the cap shroud super evenly now he thinks we've got the mask pretty plump so we're doing two on the bottom turnbuckle two on the bottom turnbuckle there two on the top two on the top two more bottoms two more bottoms we carried on like this until Jonas was happy that the rig was firm yep okay two more bottom there making sure that everything had been tensioned evenly two more bottoms I can't imagine how stressful it would have been for me cutting the shrouds and tensioning them without Jonas around give me give a shake for me [Music] so we're probably at two two percent right now one more bottom left foot on yellow okay that's one on one should we let the crane go really [Music] okay just gonna also check that the strop didn't do any damage or the hook beautiful and with that the rig was now standing on her own but we still had a lot of work to do including building the lower shrouds and then making sure that none of the work we had done was going to fail during the sea trial or Worse across the Pacific how happy are you amazing honestly now we've got to go back to the dock before the wind picks up and we can do the lower shrouds tweak everything the mask looks amazing it's got this really nice Bend in it that we did with the diamonds stoked so stoked right yourself that was gracious that's a dinosaur in the China [Laughter] yeah baby and there's a lot of pressure on the rudder when I go and reverse that fast the rudder just goes boom one way or the other and then I can't control it the water pushing against the rudder just makes it go so right now it's hard over that way and I'm trying to go that way okay straight back okay just like you knew what you were doing sometimes so I see you're not emerging vertebrates anymore so cool when are you gonna check out Tuesday nine o'clock so we set about cutting the lower shrouds okay marker look at those muscles and installing the stay locked fittings which you're all well familiar with now you've mashed it from two meters above the fitting and then down here I'm gonna use your caliper Jonas also used his old tricks to make sure that the rig wasn't too loose but we also didn't want to over tension it because then we're gonna pop the ball kids again so I would set it up to right in between minimum and maximum yeah then it's done well mine is the boom and the Tails Electronics yeah this has been so far knock on wood one of the easiest Mass installations I've done in a long time you see now how crept up it was further down right now we're about at 10 percent and we want to be between 10 and 14 so I think with the two one turn on each turnbuckle on the rig screw on the other side would be at 12 which is where we want to be but this is the easiest way to figure out um what percentage of breaking strength for the wire you are we're good it's we're a beautiful setup right now we have the the right pre-bend in it you know we are at the right break we see how share handles on the sale tomorrow and then we may tweak a few things but we're at uh go Jonah right now we're where we want to be okay this is our brand new conduit going through our brand new compression post so we have to feed all of these wires down there now and then I'll slowly hook them up but I've labeled everything taken photos as you do come on baby getting tight there she is so I'm going to Cable tie that like that put that in the Mast there so that the water can't go up this conduit it's been pretty busy lately so we haven't got around to uh programming the Southern electric winch but we've got a customer service representative here and uh he's gonna just talk us through it okay I'm ready seconds then release it we're done it's paired [Applause] it is easy salbas Jonas look at this rig look at this rig it's pretty awesome isn't it you did it okay that's a nice side rig is up it's pretty much tension we're gonna go for a sail tomorrow but right now we're going to our very last weather meeting and he's saying there's a wet one more weather window and if you miss this one you might as well not bother Crossing or if you do you're gonna get the kicked out of you and you're gonna have to motor for days and days and days and days for us this is the most important meeting of the Season let's go coincidentally it's the last meeting of the city I'm still saying good morning everyone last night was fun just went out for some tacos on the street one thing led to another room we end up at a bar and yeah the girls drag us down to a little amusement park and we end up on these rides [Music] it was like we were kids again Jonas where do you want to go man you want to go to for another beer model oh [Music] right here it's so nice to sort of let your hair down a little bit while uh all of this craziness is going on but yes big big big big big big day today we are going on a sea trial so we still have to put the sail on which is lying here the head Sail on let's go what's going on here are we stealing your one uh-oh two three so I gave my old Mainsail away enjoy thanks and we installed the boom and brand new Precision sales that were going to take us all the way to New Zealand and Beyond my old sales were 10 years old and although they probably would have made it another season I just thought it wasn't worth the hassle if one happened to blow out in the middle of the Pacific Selden are you reading the instructions it's been a while since I put one of these together a rather brand new sir which we had never seen out of the bag before was a code d a janaker is a true downwind sail a code is not we actually thought we were getting a Janika which we got the corresponding Selden Furler for but turns out they are slightly different what have we just discovered be honest uh that you have a code sale not a janaker whoopsie that was a misuse of terminology this is not a generator it's a code d so we got the slightly wrong Furler system for it but you can make it work yeah we gotta cheat a little bit the easiest way to see the difference a code sale the love is around the torsion cable and Janika is a free-flying sale sailing you will see the torsion cable sitting in the sailors off of it right and Puerto Vallarta there isn't a breath of wind until the afternoon so we had time to build the code D further with Jonas before our sea trial first we had to cut the anti torsion cable to the correct left length then install the swivel at the top it's not smooth it has a pattern to it so right now we divide these up evenly into three very important is to put this washer in and then you get it started okay you ready how many screws do you have left over yeah we're sort of like Ikea you assemble yourself and have to parts and miss it hahaha then we just heat shrink it the filler at the bottom done you then feed in the continuous filling line then you can go onto the dock and attach the head and the tack of the sail to the anti-tortion line you then fill the sail onto the furling system as best you can but this is only a rough fill in order to be able to easily deploy the sail for the first time now I'm going up the mast reinstall the VA tip antenna and the wind vane yeah we'll use the new electric winch that you installed Steve apparently Patron drops Colin hey that could be your queen to theme okay [Applause] [Music] yep okay careful McRae drop this on someone you will seriously hurt them okay that's nice Jamie can you test wind vane wind vane's working okay stop one final race inspection before we go down this is it controller we're gonna have to re-tension the route almost for sure but to get the sails up now is massive kind of nervous I just want this to go smoothly and then we can just the last of our provisions and set sail across the Pacific freaking ocean so let's hope this all goes well you see these sails up we worked pretty hard to get here so yeah I'm psyched it's about what can possibly go wrong [Music] Hoist the main foreign [Music] [Music] the wind was howling and we put Palais through her Paces on various texts to really stretch the rigging as much as possible hey not through the water the boat was sailing beautifully straight and we were able to sit back and enjoy the ride for a while as we sailed back and forth in the Bay of Banderas for the afternoon obviously the 16 now have scratched uh so it's just a caps will need to tighten up it was 22 not today for a second yeah oh no I felt it yeah get a little yeah so Jonas was happy with the initial Shakedown sale but asked us to go back to the doctor to tune the rig comfortably instead of out at sea then we would be able to head back out and fly the code D for the first time ever and do and do a final rig check s how was that that was good so now we're going to uh um tighten up the stretch from the cap routes uh Colin and I are gonna figure out uh how to run these sheets for the coat sale uh hopefully the wind will die down a little bit is way too windy to uh to run the uh that type of sale in these current conditions it's a light air sail it's exciting thinking about Crossing that pacific now with new rig new sales new everything yeah they're bringing I mean the tune the bend in it the straightness is just perfect yeah we just have to tighten up the Caps a little bit but yeah we definitely stretched the Caps uh in that uh it didn't take much just to sit a little bit no no we're still planning on stopping at an island called Socorro um 350 miles away and and with uh Jonas's guidance we'll just see if we need to just do a turn or two on the turnbuckles and then from there we're out then it's 2 300 miles of yup Blue Water sailing no but I mean that 22 knots when we filled that Mainsail there's four wires like what this is the uh sold intentiometer right here I'm gonna head back out there it's probably 15 to 20 knots out there so a nice good Breeze uh we'll do some tacking um if the wind drops a little bit on the way back we'll test the code D so hopefully um that gets to happen and then I'll be super ready and super confident to get some Blue Water miles under us the first time he's had nothing to say [Music] [Music] much better [Music] it looks absolutely beautiful yeah buddy [Music] I'm very pleased with this colleague so reassuring to hear those words come out of Jonas's mouth I felt a huge sense of relief and found a new confidence in our rigging which I had been so worried about since hurricane [Music] [Applause] it was literally the final part of the boat that we had not repaired or upgraded and we continued to sail back and forth pretty much just for fun at this point there was one last thing for us to try okay we're gonna go downwind then we're going to furl up the head still and we're gonna fly our brand new code D from Precision sales pick a wind angle it's pretty good right now 135 yeah all righty [Music] this is where I fall in okay [Music] very important before your hoist yeah that you clean both sides okay because otherwise it will start unfurl as your hoist right [Music] [Applause] [Music] [Music] please [Music] [Applause] [Music] it's badass [Music] [Music] okay I'm gonna start feeling it see what happens [Music] [Music] oh man look at that ha ha ha ha that was the perfect Pearl [Music] [Applause] sometimes it's easier to curl it up then Jive and then unfurl again all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks we had done it we had successfully replaced our rigging in Mexico and my thoughts and energy had to make a serious change in Direction and my focus from now on had to be about sailing this boat across the Pacific Ocean [Music] you don't need me anymore now I accomplished my mission I've been so immersed in all of our rigging issues that the magnitude of what we were about to attend had taken a back seat as we tackled one problem after another [Music] we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now it was Game Time [Music] freaking did it that was a lot of fun man that's uh it's unbelievable what you what you did for us and how smooth it all went and I think we checked everything off the list that we wanted to have accomplished yeah um and then some just with the with the knowledge that you shared with us you know you rigged the both but you also just shared just so much information that we just all found it's so useful you know that's well that's the Priceless part is the knowledge I think the um yeah you should hear my wife what she says but when I start talking about my knowledge all right so rolling like if we look like a slot machine so where do you think we stand uh in terms of crossing the Pacific Ocean oh you're 100 already yeah when it comes to the rig and the sales uh 100 I would say you're more prepared than most people crossing I'm sorry I can't go with you I mean the boat is so ready or at least freaking wise that I so want to come with you but I gotta work a little it keeps saying we're already like in terms of the rigging because he's like I don't know how well prepared you are in other areas I mean there's no doubt in my mind that you don't have that you haven't checked the oil and you got filters and Spares and Provisions but uh you know when it comes to the rig uh that was a big concern to you during the circumstances you don't need to worry about it it's perfect as you and I have talked I always check it you know you you do like a daily inspection from the deck uh and I want you to go Aloft as we have talked about uh when you do the three after the 350 miles when you stop at the islands there uh I want you to do like a rig inspection top to bottom uh I noticed today when after you put the wind Wane and the VHF radio you did the aerial inspection uh and every time you're at the rig just take the opportunity um even if you just go halfway up to change the light bulb for for your steam life or something yeah there's still parts of the Ring that's right there for you to check why not do it when you're already in the bosomes here um I imagine you probably don't get Hands-On that much anymore no I don't I I was pretty uh I had to brush some spider webs okay that's for sure I'll be lying if I uh if I said something else um I didn't really know what to expect and I said when I flew in here on Wednesday I sat and thought about it what am I walking into here and the the preparations you guys have done we were we were down early we were ready for that crane uh that was that was really really cool that could have not been accomplished had the prep work you and I spoke about not been done it's been an absolute privilege oh likewise it's uh it's a two-way street now it's been absolutely uh phenomenal experience for me uh with you guys and um how quickly you guys picked up on everything is uh uh it's been so much fun it's my pleasure to thank you Colin thanks man you're the best you saved the day he saved the day we're crossing oh it takes a long time to get these sound intensiometers as well you know that doesn't happen overnight it's about the 35 plus years oh no by the way I'm only 29 years old there you go guys I hope you enjoyed that episode I hope you learned something we learned so much in the last few days to have Giannis come down one of the owners of Selden this is an important man and he was hanging on the end of these spanners and wrenches with the rest of us the guy's just an absolute wealth of knowledge and it was looking really really Grim there for a while for us when we couldn't find any good help around and the parts were really hard to get into Mexico it was just a horrible horrible situation and I think Jonas heard the the desperation of my voice and because I've got the name over the last couple of years he said I'm gonna go and help these guys out I don't know if you guys can tell but we're pretty uh overwhelmed with emotion right now it's looking out we're actually able to leave on Tuesday we're going to make this where the windows looking amazing and pull into it and hopefully end up in French polynese like three weeks later the biggest adventure of Our Lives is about to begin on Tuesday follow along hope you enjoyed that episode we'll see you next Sunday see you guys foreign [Music] if we drop something in the carpet we can retrieve it if we do it all by the side it's gonna it's it's the law of rigging it's going to hit the deck twice and then it's gonna go in the drain that's just the way it is try everything once the finch that turns the sailor on yay sexy rig I feel real comfortable right the safety uh I mean I couldn't be more impressed I'm best at winging it right kind of too long we can redo them cutting Too Short we delay for another two weeks right [Music] thank you [Music]
Old 20-08-2023, 18:25   #307

46 minutes of your life just to get that info I just copy/pasted in.

That’s the complete transcript. Look at all the BS in there too.

That’s why I don’t watch videos
Old 20-08-2023, 19:58   #308

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Quote:
46 minutes of your life just to get that info I just copy/pasted in.

Thatís the complete transcript. Look at all the BS in there too.

Thatís why I donít watch videos
🤣 Complete with no punctuation, no paragraphs, no nothing! If watching a video is bad, this jumble of text is its equal! lololol
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 20:07   #309

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You do it to yourself Chotu, can bring horse to the waterÖ

Old 21-08-2023, 08:52   #310

Excuse my poor posting last night.

Boy was I tired and not making a lot of sense.

My brain functions pretty well when I am rested but when I am exhausted it functions like a rusty old door hinge.

Anyway, for the rigging experts out there, do you trust this method of end splicing for the dyneema?

https://atlanticbraids.com/longer-end-to-end-splice/

It looks pretty good. Will that adequately hold my shrouds?

The time is coming fast now. I’m getting on the schedule for the mast to be pulled so I can work on it on land for a little bit. Then stepped. So I have to be ready.

I want to practice the splicing a couple times before I have to do it under pressure at the crane.

Next steps in the standing rigging are:

1) learning how to install the furler over the forestay

2) moving the mast base aft to where it should be (the thief was too lazy and couldn’t reach the right spot is why he didn’t put it in the right spot). This involves drilling epoxy so it will take much longer than expected due to setting up vacuum, protective breathing gear, etc. it looks like he 5200ed it in place too. Lovely. I have to start bolts and nuts beyond reach so that will take a while too. Probably a little swearing. Ha ha ha

3) practice the end-to-end Brummel splice on Dyneema

4) go get the mast put on sawhorses
Old 21-08-2023, 08:54   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwh10 View Post
🤣 Complete with no punctuation, no paragraphs, no nothing! If watching a video is bad, this jumble of text is its equal! lololol
No doubt. Lol.
Old 21-08-2023, 09:10   #312

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Excuse my poor posting last night.

Boy was I tired and not making a lot of sense.

My brain functions pretty well when I am rested but when I am exhausted it functions like a rusty old door hinge.

Anyway, for the rigging experts out there, do you trust this method of end splicing for the dyneema?

https://atlanticbraids.com/longer-end-to-end-splice/

It looks pretty good. Will that adequately hold my shrouds?

The time is coming fast now. Iím getting on the schedule for the mast to be pulled so I can work on it on land for a little bit. Then stepped. So I have to be ready.

I want to practice the splicing a couple times before I have to do it under pressure at the crane.

Next steps in the standing rigging are:

1) learning how to install the furler over the forestay

2) moving the mast base aft to where it should be (the thief was too lazy and couldnít reach the right spot is why he didnít put it in the right spot). This involves drilling epoxy so it will take much longer than expected due to setting up vacuum, protective breathing gear, etc. it looks like he 5200ed it in place too. Lovely. I have to start bolts and nuts beyond reach so that will take a while too. Probably a little swearing. Ha ha ha

3) practice the end-to-end Brummel splice on Dyneema

4) go get the mast put on sawhorses

No, not for your intended use.
I don't think I would feel comfortable in bad weather watching the cables pull there.

But hey, it's just my opinion.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 09:13   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No, not for your intended use.
I don't think I would feel comfortable in bad weather watching the cables pull there.

But hey, it's just my opinion.
Opinions are good!

So how would you join the ends to make the multiple loops if not this method?

Somehow, 2 bitter ends would need to be joined to have this work.

There would be a maximum of 14,000lbs pulling on it. Any more than that and the boat will be upside down with other problems.
Old 21-08-2023, 10:01   #314

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I recommend to add a Brummel lock:

https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-a...-to-end-splice

Old 21-08-2023, 10:03   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That looks good!

Does everyone else feel that thatís appropriate? Multiple loops around in a circle, tied together with the end to end a splice shown here in this link?

I really donít want to lose the rig so I really want to get this part right. Iím also going to practice this quite a bit so it comes out nicely.

Tags
rigging