Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2023, 05:38   #181

Community Sponsor

Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
1966 Spencer 42 Sloop

Where are you located? I'm curious if there's a Bamar dealer near you? I can consult with Bamar directly and ask them regarding this setup and any potential issues - but - if you have a local rigger who could do it I always lean towards staying local so you can have on site help if need be, but happy to help if you don't have anyone available.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:48   #182

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
Where are you located? I'm curious if there's a Bamar dealer near you? I can consult with Bamar directly and ask them regarding this setup and any potential issues - but - if you have a local rigger who could do it I always lean towards staying local so you can have on site help if need be, but happy to help if you don't have anyone available.

I had been working with PTR in Port Townsend Washington, but since their daugther took over the business trying to get communication out of them had been like pulling teeth so I am going to be looking to go somewhere else.

I am thinking I will either do this work now in Texas or Florida this coming spring, also I of making carbon fiber chain plates while the rig is down as she is still running the 1966 originals, so I am in the process of researching that to see what the best way will be to do so yet.

Where abouts in the world are you located?
Old 04-08-2023, 10:53   #183

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’m typically all for thread drift, but wouldn’t it make sense to start your own thread at this point? I guess I could always start a new one for my standing rigging.

I was attempting to put all of my standing rigging information here in this thread. Instead of having it scattered around the board with a new thread for every little part of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually enjoy thread drift. It keeps things interesting. But, this is its own thread at this point. As well it should be because it deserves to be. There’s a lot of information about renegade’s boat that should be more easily found and not buried in my catamaran standing rigging thread.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:54   #184

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I had been working with PTR in Port Townsend Washington, but since their daugther took over the business trying to get communication out of them had been like pulling teeth so I am going to be looking to go somewhere else.

I am thinking I will either do this work now in Texas or Florida this coming spring, also I of making carbon fiber chain plates while the rig is down as she is still running the 1966 originals, so I am in the process of researching that to see what the best way will be to do so yet.

Where abouts in the world are you located?
Ah ok. Sorry to hear that about Port Townsend.
We're based in St Pete, Florida - www.theyachtrigger.com
Carbon fiber chainplates... interesting. Not interested in titanium? Honestly I've not put much thought into CF for chainplates.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:55   #185

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Iím typically all for thread drift, but wouldnít it make sense to start your own thread at this point? I guess I could always start a new one for my standing rigging
Fair enough. We've certainly derailed it some.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:01   #186

Quote:
Carbon fiber chainplates... interesting. Not interested in titanium? Honestly I've not put much thought into CF for chainplates.
And I’m going to do my part to keep the thread drift going ha ha. Actually it’s applicable to the thread.

Carbon is a good material for chainplates. Does great in tension.

It’s higher performance (per pound) than the composite chainplates I have made out of standard fiberglass/epoxy.

The trick is making sure you have the right lamination schedule for the load and a very good execution of the layup
Old 04-08-2023, 11:25   #187
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend you watch the ďDuracell ProjectĒ videos about making carbon fiber chainplates, as well as the ďYoung BarnaclesĒ videos about it

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:53   #188

Quote:

Since I am spending time in Tampa Bay anyways, I will shoot you a PM
Old 04-08-2023, 11:54   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend you watch the ďDuracell ProjectĒ videos about making carbon fiber chainplates, as well as the ďYoung BarnaclesĒ videos about it

Both are great videos, looks like the way to go as then you never have to worry about bedding compound failing around them again, and CF is so strong you can easily achieve a 5x safety factor on the chain plate!
Old 04-08-2023, 12:00   #190

Quote:

Oh, and as for Titanium, I had looked into it, if it isn't stupid expensive I might go that route as the style of chain plate my boat currently has is an inverted T-plate glassed into the deck.

I like the idea of a Carbon Fiber chain plate because it will never corrode, and the deck gets sealed solid so there is simply no hole to leak.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:27   #191

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Oh, and as for Titanium, I had looked into it, if it isn't stupid expensive I might go that route as the style of chain plate my boat currently has is an inverted T-plate glassed into the deck.

I like the idea of a Carbon Fiber chain plate because it will never corrode, and the deck gets sealed solid so there is simply no hole to leak.
There seem to be more titanium manufacturers popping up every year. Definitely worth shopping around.
As for corrosion, remember CF can corrode with dissimilar metal contact, unless I am gravely mistaken...
Old 06-08-2023, 08:35   #192
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Especially with companies like sendcutsend.com that laser cut the parts you need in almost any material: https://sendcutsend.com/materials/

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 14:15   #193

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

When I converted from dyneema lashings to turnbuckles for my shrouds, I needed a connector from the turnbuckle's lower to the chainplate. John Franta supplied me with a waterjet-cut titanium figure 8 that does the job.

FYI, I got rid of the dyneema lashings because they were too difficult to tighten properly. I bunged up some deck hardware using the electric winches for that, big mistake. I've also used 4T come-alongs. That was better, but the turnbuckles are the best.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 14:21   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
When I converted from dyneema lashings to turnbuckles for my shrouds, I needed a connector from the turnbuckle's lower to the chainplate. John Franta supplied me with a waterjet-cut titanium figure 8 that does the job.

FYI, I got rid of the dyneema lashings because they were too difficult to tighten properly. I bunged up some deck hardware using the electric winches for that, big mistake. I've also used 4T come-alongs. That was better, but the turnbuckles are the best.
Agreed. Coliglio says something like this on his website too.

I have turnbuckles to adjust the tension. The soft stuff is for logistics (tying 2 shrouds to 1 chainplate pin) as well as to extend the existing stainless wire to be long enough to reach.

The existing wire has the turnbuckles.

For the sake of the thread are you able to put up a picture of that figure 8 turnbuckle connector?
Old 07-08-2023, 15:19   #195
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I think Colligo recommends a turnbuckle on any cat over 40í that doesnít have a rotating rig. We have have a rotating rig but also use turnbuckles as we already had new ones and it does make it much easier to tune the rig.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging