Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25   #1

Boat: chinese junk
chinese junk

Hi I have been restoring my junk for 8 years and she will be back in the water this year and the next job will be rigging the 2 junk sails but I don’t know were to start
robbymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: chinese junk

I read the thread title and thought "oh great, another thread about Rocna anchors..".

Good luck with your project!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40   #3

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

If you want help to figure out where to start Robbymax, there's:
yahoo junk group
and
the JRA

I'm building a junk too and am a member of the 2nd link.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:23   #4

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

I am converting my 30 foot sloop to a junk in the fall of 2013 and have been doing a lot of research. One thing I have come across is a general recommendation to use double sheeting on the forward sail. Double sheeting is a pair of sheets to each batten, with one set leading to port, one to starboard. See Hasler/MacCleod for details. Fitting the two pairs of sheets allows the leech of the forward sail to be fitted closer to the mast of the after sail. This can give you increased sail area by shrinking the void area between the masts - whether ketch or schooner. In a multi-mast rig, you generally want all the sail area you can squeeze in.
Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:03   #5

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Everything is a compromise and double sheeting has its own. Is an extra line on the boat too. I'm sticking with single sheeting and relying on parrels to keep the battens stacking correctly when reefed so as to not foul the sheets (which I know isnt an issue with double sheeting).
But I've still managed to fit an excess of sail area on our boat (easy to reef so its a common thing to do), there's more area in trapezoid shapes than triangles..
Good choice you made going junk, it is the closest thing to an automatic sailing rig there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
I am converting my 30 foot sloop to a junk in the fall of 2013 and have been doing a lot of research. One thing I have come across is a general recommendation to use double sheeting on the forward sail. Double sheeting is a pair of sheets to each batten, with one set leading to port, one to starboard. See Hasler/MacCleod for details. Fitting the two pairs of sheets allows the leech of the forward sail to be fitted closer to the mast of the after sail. This can give you increased sail area by shrinking the void area between the masts - whether ketch or schooner. In a multi-mast rig, you generally want all the sail area you can squeeze in.
Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote