Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36   #16

Re: Catalina 30 Compression Post issues?

Thanks for all your input Tetepare, Calif.Ted, Stu Jackson, OS2Dude, reed1v, woodyapex, The Garbone, & Spindrift NH. The broker provided me with a survey from when the boat was purchased (2013) by the current seller.

These were the notable excerpts from that survey:

Quote:
KEEL:
Appears to be a lead keel with thru-bolts sighted in the bilge. There is a small crack sighted in the
sump, no delamination noticed and appears serviceable. Monitor.
Quote:
DECK CONSTRUCTION
TYPE:
*B1
Molded FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) with white gelcoat and non-skid surface. High moisture
readings (25+%) found on the port side deck around chain plates (photos 7566-7569), forward and
aft of the chain locker hatch (photos 7575 and 7577), (20%) around the lower aft shroud chain plate
(photo 7582-7583). There is some delamination but appears serviceable at this time.
CABIN TOP:
*B2
Molded FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) cabin top with white gelcoat and non-skid surface. High
moisture readings (20-22%) on the cabin top (photos 7589-7606). There was reportedly some
repairs on the cabin top below the mast step with composite material. There is some noticeable
settling of the mast step but area appears solid.

COCKPIT:
*C1
Molded FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) cockpit with white gelcoat and non-skid surface. High
moisture readings (28+%) found on the cockpit sole (photos 7609-7612), cockpit sole sounds
serviceable at this time.
Quote:
INTERIOR BULKHEADS:
The interior teak bulkheads were finely fit where sighted.
HEADLINERS:
FRP (Fiber reinforced plastic) liner type headliner appears serviceable. There is a crack sighted at
the mast step support, appears serviceable at this time and is believed to have cracked before cabin
top was repaired.
Quote:
BELOW WATERLINE MACHINERY
NOTE:
There was no out-of-the-water survey performed on the vessel at this time. Recommend that an
out-of-water survey be performed to inspect vessel hull topsides, wetted surface area, thru-hulls, and
running gear.
Owen Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 20:12   #17

So, the damage is acknowledged by the prior survey, but also noted as repaired.

My instinct is still to move away from this boat, but everything else about the boat is in fantastic condition - all interior cushions replaced, exterior cushions all new, new running rigging....

Any final input would be very welcome - and thank you!
Old 06-07-2016, 20:24   #18

This is one of ther very few cases where the phrase :Lipstick on a Pig: would apply.

Look, there are lots of things wrong with the boat and you haven't even told us about the engine.

Perhaps the PO did a remarkable repair job, but it just looks shoddy? IIRC from the other day's posts and pictures, the bottom of the compression post isn't a winner either.

I'm just trying to avoid you wasting your $$. There are tons of Catalina 30s out there and at better prices. Maybe not such perfect cushions, but solid bones are much more important.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 21:14   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This is one of ther very few cases where the phrase :Lipstick on a Pig: would apply.

Look, there are lots of things wrong with the boat and you haven't even told us about the engine.

Perhaps the PO did a remarkable repair job, but it just looks shoddy? IIRC from the other day's posts and pictures, the bottom of the compression post isn't a winner either.

I'm just trying to avoid you wasting your $$. There are tons of Catalina 30s out there and at better prices. Maybe not such perfect cushions, but solid bones are much more important.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
This is good advice. There are too many serious flaws in the boat to be overcome with a bit of upholstery.

Please heed the advice of a Catalina expert (and advocate).

Jim
Old 07-07-2016, 04:26   #20

You guys are absolutely correct. I spoke with the chief financial officer, and we have agreed to walk away from this particular Catalina 30. We would always be concerned with what might happen miles from shore when a catastrophic failure could be life threatening. Just not worth it.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and look forward to showing off a better choice when we find it!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:43   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

I think walking away from this particular boat is a good idea. Sometimes it is hard to do so, but in the end you will be happier. It took us 2 years to find our current boat, but eventually you will find one that just feels like home from the moment you step aboard.

Keep looking and good luck in your search.

Fair winds!
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Stubbs View Post
You guys are absolutely correct. I spoke with the chief financial officer, and we have agreed to walk away from this particular Catalina 30. We would always be concerned with what might happen miles from shore when a catastrophic failure could be life threatening. Just not worth it.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and look forward to showing off a better choice when we find it!
Chief financial officer ( the wife )???
Owen as someone else said budget as much as you can afford to lose . Imo as little as possible really for any age you are looking at 80's ish is going to need work doing on it . To make it perfect for you . You will probably never get that money back but it will be the boat you trust and love .
I was lucky with my c30 at $5500
But only lucky cos I'm very handy and was able to do full service and all alterations myself . Spending $1500 on it selling it to friends for a bit less then total I'd spent .
But I had a great few month spent on it before my upgrade .
Also don't get me wrong 7 ish years ago when I imagined buying a wreck trawler , renovating it motoring the world . A wise person on here said to me . The cheapest boats can be the most expensive .
The best thing to do is shop around hard , view lots off Craig's list . Barter hard ( it's a buyers market ) and you'll know when the right boat comes along when the engine starts first time , runs smooth , it has no cracks round the mast and you can see past the mucky cushions ( that's not been the owners priority but the real issues have )
Hope this makes sense .
Woody
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 09:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
First off, does it have a gas Atomic 4 or a Diesel? That makes a big difference in value.

I would consider that damage "severe". The cracked liner/shell is due to compression of the mast into the interior, due to the compression post not supporting it. This makes me believe the compression block is totally compromised.

$20k (selling, not asking) price will get you a 1989 or 1990. Most 1985s I've seen have sold between $5k and $8k, and all were in better condition that that shown.
I see your location being lake Ontario.. please help me find an 1985 selling between $5K and $8K.. I would agree with the average being closer to $20K most asking higher. An 88 around here would be 35K plus.

I am in the market for one.. Just passed on a 1978 in VT that was $6K but it needed at least $10K in work. Too much project for me.

James
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:15   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob View Post
I see your location being lake Ontario.. please help me find an 1985 selling between $5K and $8K.. I would agree with the average being closer to $20K most asking higher. An 88 around here would be 35K plus.

I am in the market for one.. Just passed on a 1978 in VT that was $6K but it needed at least $10K in work. Too much project for me.

James

Go find a broker and ask for recent C30 selling (not asking) prices. The last local C30tr sold 1989 model went for $21k and was in pretty good shape.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Go find a broker and ask for recent C30 selling (not asking) prices. The last local C30tr sold 1989 model went for $21k and was in pretty good shape.
I am not disputing you, but I have 3 brokers in the S. Ontario Area looking out for a boat for me. I have put in offers in the mid to high 20s and they have been rejected. Are you talking US or CDN $?

I will continue to look.

James
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, compression