Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 07:49   #1
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Carrying a spare mainsail

How many people carry a spare or old mainsail on their boat as a just in case scenario. And if you carry a spare mainsail what kind of sailing do you do, full time live aboard, blue water, weekend etc. Thanks, inquiring minds want to know!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:11   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Carrying a spare mainsail

We do not but we do carry all the necessary materials to fix a mainsail temporarily. Thread, some extra cloth, tape, and so forth.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:18   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I don’t have a spare sail. I have better use for the boat space than an unused sail. Hell sometimes I start questioning the space the spinnaker takes up.

Full time cruiser
Old 26-03-2018, 08:23   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

I just replaced mainsail and gave the old one away. I don't want to lug it around.

If it completely destroyed itself I still have the jib which will get me somewhere easy enough, plus the code zero and old genoa and asymmetrical.

More than I need.

Full time cruiser.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:42   #5

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

We have an old main as it came with the boat. Been cruising and living aboard for just under a year. Only time it's seen the light of day was when we pulled it out for inspection while getting the genoa repaired. Previous owner was a weekend sailor and told us it was an old genoa, so that gives you an idea how many times he used it in 8 years.

If we totally destroyed the main we might be glad we had it, but I probably wouldn't attempt to change it out in rough weather, so we would be sailing on with just the genoa for a while regardless.

Would much rather have a working or storm jib, or anything that could get used once in a while.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:54   #6

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Got the old main, old genoa, old mizzen ballooner, old Amel ballooner. This despite new sails and a parasailor They came with the boat and eventually I'm going far away, so I really have a hard time chucking them...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:25   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I got a new main/gen last year and keep the old ones under the V berth. Figured nice to have a spare.

They DO take up a load of space tho so I am thinking about selling them
Old 26-03-2018, 10:20   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

Have no backup main, 37ft'er, we sail 7-8 months a year. Space to valuable, plus could have my spare shipped to me if I couldn't repair the current one. Sails are in pretty pretty solid condition.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:48   #9

Boat: J/42

No, the old main is rotting in the woodshed. Thought I'd cut it up for canvas projects, but it's all stained... Um, I mean, "has excess character."
For a "spare" main, I have the trysail, which doesn't take up much room in the locker. And a repair kit.
The trick is to put the trysail up before you damage the main. :roll eyes: Yeah, like someone gave me driving directions the other day... "take the second-to-last exit..."
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Good question and it reminds me I must get the old main out of the loft and on e bay soon even if it only generates £50 it will help pay for something else and help someone else to.

So to answer your question, no we don't carry a spare main, but even with a newish Genoa we do carry a spare smaller jib just in case. With a masthead rig we can sail quite well on the Genoa or jib alone.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:28   #11

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
No, the old main is rotting in the woodshed. Thought I'd cut it up for canvas projects, but it's all stained... Um, I mean, "has excess character."
For a "spare" main, I have the trysail, which doesn't take up much room in the locker. And a repair kit.
The trick is to put the trysail up before you damage the main. :roll eyes: Yeah, like someone gave me driving directions the other day... "take the second-to-last exit..."

Lol. Reminds me of what an Uncle told me about how to use 4-wheel drive. He said you keep it in 2-wheel drive until you get stuck, THEN you put it in 4-wheel drive and BACK UP !

I plan to get a Crisp New Main and a set of Jibs in a few years for when I go cruise full time. Until then it's the old stuff - and it won't come with me when I go hither and yon. Not enough room !

Question- has there been a thread discussing roller-furling vs. hank-on ? I couldn't find one.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:35   #12

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Lol. Reminds me of what an Uncle told me about how to use 4-wheel drive. He said you keep it in 2-wheel drive until you get stuck, THEN you put it in 4-wheel drive and BACK UP !

I plan to get a Crisp New Main and a set of Jibs in a few years for when I go cruise full time. Until then it's the old stuff - and it won't come with me when I go hither and yon. Not enough room !

Question- has there been a thread discussing roller-furling vs. hank-on ? I couldn't find one.
My old main is so old, it has one of those 70's zippers to open up the belly. There must be some neat project I could do with that part. The part with the emblem and sail number might make a good shower curtain...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:55   #13

Boat: Heritage 35

Hmm. seems I might be in the minority. I do carry a second main that is about 2/3 the size of the regular main. Regular main is a piece of crap. (won't go into that here) But OK in lightish Air. Use the smaller 40 yr old bullet proof sail in the shoulder seasons and when Offshore.Also carry a 150% Genoa, storm jib and chute. All will fit in my sail locker with room left over 35 ftr. Have changed them out while underway. My normal everyday head sail is a 130% with it and the small main the boat will just about sail all day by itself.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:18   #14

Quote: "Question- has there been a thread discussing roller-furling vs. hank-on ? I couldn't find one.

Probably warrants a separate thread. Why don't you start one if you can't find one? :-)

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:22   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I have a spare Main, 2 spare head sails of different sizes for the roller furler and a spare Mizzen
Would love to carry them all but don't have room for any of them.
If one blows out I hope to get one of my spares shipped to me.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail