Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 13:35   #1

cam cleat replacement

I just bought a J-22 and need to replace some clam cleats. Being a newbie to sailing I need advice. Do I need to caulk anything? If so, what type of caulking? Is there a video showing this procedure?

Thanks,
David
wranglerdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: cam cleat replacement

If you are anal and want to do it right, like me, and holes will be in cored areas of the deck, do this:

Get a Dremel 199 bit for you Dremel tool and rout out the core around each fastener. If you are drilling new holes, just drill down to the inner skin, not all the way through. Fill the holes with epoxy resin thickened with West Systems 403 structural filler. Redrill the holes and put a slight bevel on the topside with a counter sink bit. Caulk with caulk of your choice: LifeCaulk, Butyl, 4200/5200, etc. Use Fender Washers as backing or make backing plates. In no case use sillycone. Remember, "Sillycone belongs in boobs not boats."

You will probably be fine if you just hit the holes with a countersink and caulk with a good quality caulk. Don't crank down on fasteners in cored areas, you'll just be crushing the core. I hold socket ratchet handle by the head and just use wrist strength to torque fasteners in core.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote