Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 17:57   #1

Boat: 1986 Mainship 40
Cal 39 Removable Inner Forestay

I am hoping to install a removable inner forestay on my 1980 Cal 39 Mk III.

A few Questions:
1. Any ideas where to find the least expensive hardware: mast hound, quick-release fitting, deck eye and chain plates?

2. I am thinking to reinforce the bulkhead at the back of my anchor locker to attach the chain plate for the deck fitting. Anyone else ever tried this?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 05-08-2015, 21:58   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Cal 39 Removable Inner Forestay

This site shows what looks like the simplest and cheapest hardware to set up a removable solent stay using a spectra tackle lead back to a winch instead of a Highfield lever.

Solent stays and storm jibs | joecoopersailing.com

Ive used tackles before with success, Highfield levers and just normal turnbuckles with handles. One Big boat even had a hydraulic ram to tension the solent stay. But when I get around to setting something up on my new boat I am planning to use a dynex dux forestay, soft hanks and a series of low friction rings to tension the thing. Its nice not to have to deal with heavy hardware when the bow of the boat is bouncing all over the place.

If the chain locker bulkhead is sturdy and well glassed in it would be ideal to attach the stay to. Just make sure the deck fitting is tied into the bulkhead properly.

I have lashed a stay up the top of the mast using spectra, a few passes around the cap, and around the mast above the track with plastic tube over it to stop chafe. It worked well for a few years until I made a proper fitting.

In your case you will probably need a halyard as well, though if you have twin jib halyards one can be adapted to work with a fairlead just above the solent stay. You tie the halyard onto the head of the sail with a long bowline that also goes around the solent stay. It works fine, but a big shackle would work as well.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:23   #3

Boat: 1986 Mainship 40

Thanks so much for the quick reply. This is a great help. I never thought of using a set of blocks to tension the inner stay. First thing I'll do when we get back to the boat will be to stick my head down in the anchor locker, check out the bulkhead, and reinforce it as necessary so it'll take the strain.
Old 19-07-2018, 21:38   #4

Did you end up doing the Solent stay? I also have a Cal 39 and thinking of doing the same. How did the anchor well attachment go?
gruffa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal