Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 13:00   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Buying line/rode in bulk

Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like you can get ridiculously cheap line when buying in bulk. For example, you can get 600 feet of 5/8" double braided nylon for $270. At that price you could use 300 feet for anchor rode/drogue bridle and make dock lines out of the remaining 300 feet. Likewise you can get 600 feet of 3 strand for $250 but at that price I would just get the double braid since it has more uses.

Compare that to probably upwards of eight docklines for a cruising boat at upwards of $30 each prespliced from west marine. Add to that a bare minimum of $190 for a prespliced chain/rope rode and you've got yourself a pretty substantial savings by buying in bulk.

I could keep myself in running rigging 10 years pretty cheaply as well if I just bought in bulk. Are people averse to splicing their own lines or just don't want a wagon wheel sitting around in their garage?
Old 09-12-2013, 13:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Buying line/rode in bulk

I pretty much always buy spools when I need new docklines. As you mentioned it is a good way to save a lot of money. I have also cut deals with local rigging shops where we each buy half a spool. So you don't have a bunch left over.

Frankly I like having a big spool in the shed, you never know when you will want a bunch of line for something. And it makes it easier to justify replacing partially worn lines when you already have the line in stock.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 13:45   #3

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like you can get ridiculously cheap line when buying in bulk. For example, you can get 600 feet of 5/8" double braided nylon for $270. At that price you could use 300 feet for anchor rode/drogue bridle and make dock lines out of the remaining 300 feet. Likewise you can get 600 feet of 3 strand for $250 but at that price I would just get the double braid since it has more uses.

Compare that to probably upwards of eight docklines for a cruising boat at upwards of $30 each prespliced from west marine. Add to that a bare minimum of $190 for a prespliced chain/rope rode and you've got yourself a pretty substantial savings by buying in bulk.

I could keep myself in running rigging 10 years pretty cheaply as well if I just bought in bulk. Are people averse to splicing their own lines or just don't want a wagon wheel sitting around in their garage?
Where are you looking and what brand line?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 13:53   #4

I have bought spools twice. Once double braid to replace my running rigging and once 3-strand for dock lines. For sure good deals are to be had at times. Shop around and look for a sale.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:16   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

The key is to buy without time pressure. Splicing is a relaxing chore that can be done with the music or TV on. Love having a spool around. I was out of the country when a hurricane was threatening. I sent a email to my dock mate that there was a 300 foot spool (without the wood) under the starboard settee. I asked them to look after my boat and use the line as they saw fit. Made me a popular guy. And the storm missed by about 50 NE of my boat.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:17   #6

Yep a spool is a great deal if you need all of it. It's kind of like buying a 20 # bag of potatoes at 1.5 times the price of a 10# bag though. If half the 20# bag goes to waste it was a more expensive option!
I would think twice about double braid nylon, I've found it snags on a lot of things, dock boards etc.... and is more complicated to spice an eye into etc. I tried it and went away from it. JMHO

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 17:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I buy spools. I use Columbia Basin Knot. Great prices, even better customer service. I have had them research mills to get the best price for my spec and then drop ship to me.

The Wife says I have a rope fetish, she may be right.

Give em a call, won't hurt to ask.

Rope and Cord for Equestrian, Marine, Industrial, Arborist and Climbing
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 17:19   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

a few years ago | went directly to a mill ( can not remember the name) at any rate I got 600 feet of 5/8" 8 plait for the same price I would have paid for 125 feet. It is an outstanding anchor rode.

I split the roll with my dock mate, sold the other 150 to another buddy so the piece of 150 feet ended up costing my about 50 dollars.

Don't be afraid to email a manufacturer and ask for a reel, you might be pleasantly shocked at the price.
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 18:10   #9

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

BE CAREFUL!

I have purchased both 1/2 and 5/8" on EBay who is among the many current sellers of reels of line. Both of my reels where 300'. The 1/2" came from a seller whose store went belly up so I got a decent price around $110 delivered. The 1/2 reel was a good deal.

Now the 5/8" line was from a wholesaler. I won't call it junk but I fear it is close to it. It is loosely twisted. My dock lines that I made from this stuff now look like 9/16" lines. I have some 5/8th that is over 30 years old. That stuff is now somewhat stiff but it looks like 3/4" line!

Next spring I might purchase another 300 reel of 5/8 or 3/4" but this time I'll purchase New England Rope or from another qualified manufacturer
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 19:23   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ben, it ain't your imagination. Last time I needed battery cable, I bought a "spool end" off eBay, which turned out to be almost twice as long as the seller thought it was. What I paid was about what "per foot" would have cost me, except now I have two big long coils of cable tucked away. With the price of copper and tin...I just have to remember not to break a tow tripping over it, until I need it. Or, put it back up for sale. You could always go into the rope business.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 19:28   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

With the help of a couple of shrimpers down the bayou, Ive been able to buy and share out serveral reels of line of different sizes. It sure has made things a lot cheaper!! Whenever we go to Nor Cal in the pickup, I buy a reel at Englunds in Eureka. It ends up being cheaper as long as I don't need to pay shiping! The rest of the time we buy localy, if ya can use it all, great, if not ya need to have someone to split the reel with to make the expense worth it !! Just my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2013, 07:48   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One other thing about reel purchases: if it is for your running rigging, one is stuck with a single colour line. Many of us like to use colour coding to differentiate between the many lines that end up littering the cockpit at times, and ya can't do that with a single reel.

I've sometimes talked chandleries into selling mixed bits at reel prices if the total reached the reel length, but that isn't as good a deal as going to a non-marine source.

Being a cheapskate has its drawbacks!

Jim
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
BE CAREFUL!

I have purchased both 1/2 and 5/8" on EBay who is among the many current sellers of reels of line. Both of my reels where 300'. The 1/2" came from a seller whose store went belly up so I got a decent price around $110 delivered. The 1/2 reel was a good deal.

Now the 5/8" line was from a wholesaler. I won't call it junk but I fear it is close to it. It is loosely twisted. My dock lines that I made from this stuff now look like 9/16" lines. I have some 5/8th that is over 30 years old. That stuff is now somewhat stiff but it looks like 3/4" line!

Next spring I might purchase another 300 reel of 5/8 or 3/4" but this time I'll purchase New England Rope or from another qualified manufacturer
Yeah, I hate that super soft loose twist stuff. The old golden stuff was never like that. The white stuff often is. I have a black anchor rode that is real tight and nice also.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, rode