Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 01:04   #16

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Buying Jib Sheet Soft Shackles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
bowlines will get caught on stays when tacking especially with a high ratio genoa. Eye splices on sheets and a soft shackle creates a smooth passage of the clew
The jib is 90%.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 01:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

"Stay Set" doesn't "stay set", and in my opinion 12mm poly rope is too small and too stretchy for that application. On a Swan, no less!! I do agree with the poster above that if you do end up using that (or please, one size bigger) for your sheets, then there is no need for the soft shackles -- just tie bowlines.

If I were you, though, I would use double braid racing dyneema (SK78 dyneema on the inside and poly on the outside, the tightest weave you can find). Have loops professionally spliced in the ends (in both ends) of the sheets if you aren't that skilled in splicing (as I am not).

Then, make your own soft shackles using the "improved soft shackle" method on Estarzinger's website. Even a klutz like me (ropework is not my forte) is able to make a satisfactory soft shackle that way, in about 15 minutes each.

That would be my advice, FWIW.

Soft shackles work really well, are really easy to undo even after having been under tons of force, are extremely light, low windage, no metal to knock a hole in your head, and are dirt cheap if you make them yourself -- so very many very great advantages.

However, for use with sheets, they do require an eye splice at the ends of the sheets.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

By preference I actually wouldn't use a traditional soft shackle on sheets... I would go a little fancier. For sheets use tapered dyneema, but instead of a fixed eye in the end use a sliding eye. Basically a standard eye splice but the eye can open and close. Then tie two diamond knot rings, just a loop of line with a diamond knot securing the ends. Ring hitch the diamond knots to the clew ring.

Now you can remove either sheet easily by opening the eye, and the knots stay permanently attached to the sail.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, jib