Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 02:53   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Buoyweather scam

Just checking my credit card statement due to a dodgy transaction at a roadhouse in outback New South Wales. When i find a transaction for $110 same day around the same time for Buoyweather. Now ive never heard of them or used them or given them my card details. So its a bit strange. Card is cancelled & visa investigation into fraud has started. I see they are US based so someone may have heard of them. I drove 800 ks on Tuesday so I wasnt playing on the net.
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:09   #2
cruiser

Re: Buoyweather scam

Settle down....

Buoyweather is a legitimate company providing an excellent service. It's more likely than someone around a marina got ahold of your credit card information, then used it to purchase a buoyweather subscrition for themself. Your credit card company should have an easy time sorting it out and finding out who did it... The same person who dined at the roadhouse on your card.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:39   #3

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

A roadhouse in Australia is primarily a petrol (gas) station, but with food, grog and sometimes accommodation.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
A roadhouse in Australia is primarily a petrol (gas) station, but with food, grog and sometimes accommodation.
It dosen't matter what a roadhouse is. Someone lifted the guy's credit card information from someplace, then probably sold it to some other thief who used it to charge a meal and a Buoyweather subscription. This sort of 21st century crime happens all the time, the Buoyweather subscription will get cancelled, some roadhouse will loose a few dollars giving some crook a free meal.... end of story.

My wife and I have had this sort of crime happen multiple times, one time while I was in the USA, some airline ticket agent lifted my information, sold it to some dirtbag in Spain, who then went on a credit card charging spree to the tune of over five thousand dollars in Madrid. The bank took care of everthing.

You'll never know who lifted the credit card information. Take better precautions from now on.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:12   #5

I found an junk mail from them on 21 st June. I only clear Junk mail occasionaly . I didnt sign up for anything but interestingly I updated my paypal account details the same day & only a short while later the junk mail from buoyweather turned up. Maybe paypal isnt as secure as it should be. I have left a message on the support email & on there facebook page & on twitter . I think they will get the message im not happy.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

If you updated your PayPal info in response to an email request, that would be your issue. It wasn't PayPal.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
If you updated your PayPal info in response to an email request, that would be your issue. It wasn't PayPal.
Paypal, banks and credit card companies warn all the time to never answer emails asking to update your information. You only call them using the number on the card or go to their website and sign in.

Sounds like you fell for one of the oldest internet scams. Don't worry, it'll get sorted out.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:15   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

It's typical for a scammed card to be used for a very minor purchase, such as a lunch, so the thieves can check the card works. If it does, they move on to larger purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 17:13   #9

All fixed they emailed me returning the transaction to my card . The roadhouse called as well they found they had a problem & are fixing it also. Good news all round & i get a new card which is probably a good idea as i do buy a lot of stuff on lone from Aliexpress ! Amazon & others . Im not very happy with paypal , when i did the update it was just my adress not card details. Its seems my card details did go astray on tne same day.

Tags
weather