Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Broken mast

Some people no matter what learn the hard way, thats fine, you are not making anything stronger with a custom I beam inside of your mast...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Some people no matter what learn the hard way, thats fine, you are not making anything stronger with a custom I beam inside of your mast...
I take it your a. Engineer
Gypsea Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 14:01   #18

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsea Soul View Post
I have done a lot design engineering on aluminum structures. A mast must handle compression and tension loads in the perimeter surface. I beams would strengthen in only two planes. Center part of the I beam is in a neutral axis so it gives little strength and were it is welded is only 50% of that.
A sleeve is the only possible solution but still technically very difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 15:36   #19

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Not a engineer , but we design some spectacular masts for some customers, from bare raw spar sections, the I beam idea sounds like another Jhon McGiver solution , low Budget approach.. with a proper sleeve what you are making is to build some flexural and original strenght along the spar, the joint is in fact a bit stiff and stronger in that point but it flex if need it, with the I beam you are making a horrendous hard spot, stiff like a brick, you mention your mast is 40 or something years old, check this link
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Wm5ow2skib8Gcg

If you know the Brand probably you can get a inner sleeve for your mast , last year we found a sleeve for a old Nirvana spar, not imposible and is the best solution if you have your mast in 2 joints due dismasting , breaking etc.. or fit the I beam like you say but keep in mind that what you get is a experiment, and to me , experiments with coca cola could be fine, but with a mast¿¿¿¿¿
Good luck Cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 15:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Not a engineer , but we design some spectacular masts for some customers, from bare raw spar sections, the I beam idea sounds like another Jhon McGiver solution , low Budget approach.. with a proper sleeve what you are making is to build some flexural and original strenght along the spar, the joint is in fact a bit stiff and stronger in that point but it flex if need it, with the I beam you are making a horrendous hard spot, stiff like a brick, you mention your mast is 40 or something years old, check this link
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Wm5ow2skib8Gcg

If you know the Brand probably you can get a inner sleeve for your mast , last year we found a sleeve for a old Nirvana spar, not imposible and is the best solution if you have your mast in 2 joints due dismasting , breaking etc.. or fit the I beam like you say but keep in mind that what you get is a experiment, and to me , experiments with coca cola could be fine, but with a mast¿¿¿¿¿
Good luck Cheers...
If you are not a engineer what makes you think I beam will help??

Old 10-04-2015, 15:59   #21

an ibeam itself will be stronger, but not sure how it gets attached? Also: Do you have internal halyards? Also wonder if too strong in one area just means the stresses nearby will cause a failure there...
How far from your sleeve did it break?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:33   #22

It broke 10 feet or more from the sleeve. I'm not sure why all the hoopla. I am building a two foot ibeam that will be installed the same way a sleeve There will be room in front and behind for me to run wires and halyards I think the main reason for the crap is you are the first to ask how I was doing it. I think outside the box. I get away with it most of the time. There will be plenty of sails before I am at a point of no return. Through work I have a crane and if I see a problem I can resolve if a issue is presented.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:10   #23

Quote:
It broke 10 feet or more from the sleeve. I'm not sure why all the hoopla. I am building a two foot ibeam that will be installed the same way a sleeve There will be room in front and behind for me to run wires and halyards I think the main reason for the crap is you are the first to ask how I was doing it. I think outside the box. I get away with it most of the time. There will be plenty of sails before I am at a point of no return. Through work I have a crane and if I see a problem I can resolve if a issue is presented.
If you where not look for advice why did you post for help, that it appears you will need.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:44   #24

Re: Broken Mast

Well the mast is up and I have been sailing for months. I rebuilt the mast, standing rigging, the running rigging. I used ibeams in the construction. I have sailed around 700 miles in different conditions with winds up to 30 knots with main and gib out and the rigging is still standing true and strong. Thank all with your positive input and to the arm chair sailors with just book learning negative input. Well I just wish you well. Once again back sailing with confidence. Took some time going through a mast coming down in high winds and big seas really works on the head but getting back in the saddle has proven favorable.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:19   #25

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Well the mast is up and I have been sailing for months. I rebuilt the mast, standing rigging, the running rigging. I used ibeams in the construction. I have sailed around 700 miles in different conditions with winds up to 30 knots with main and gib out and the rigging is still standing true and strong. Thank all with your positive input and to the arm chair sailors with just book learning negative input. Well I just wish you well. Once again back sailing with confidence. Took some time going through a mast coming down in high winds and big seas really works on the head but getting back in the saddle has proven favorable.
Good luck with your experiment.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:37   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Good luck with your experiment.
Exactly what I was going to say... verbatim..

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42   #27

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I was hoping you'd give us an update on this thread. You have any pictures of your repair in progress? What were your costs so we could compare those to the more conventional sleeve repair?

And I hope if I presented any negativity that you know it was not meant to be towards you, personally, and it simply came from my failures when I tried to figure a way around more common repair techniques.

Always good to hear about boats getting fixed rather than boats rotting in a boat yard.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-11-2015, 07:55   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I was hoping you'd give us an update on this thread. You have any pictures of your repair in progress? What were your costs so we could compare those to the more conventional sleeve repair?

And I hope if I presented any negativity that you know it was not meant to be towards you, personally, and it simply came from my failures when I tried to figure a way around more common repair techniques.

Always good to hear about boats getting fixed rather than boats rotting in a boat yard.

Actually that would be very interesting to see !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17   #29

I lost 5 feet of mast due to damage. I didn't have the money to buy a new mast. I didn't want to loose 5 feet of mast and have to get new sails or have them cut. I wanted to keep the original size of the mast. So I removed the 5 feet above deck that was damaged and extended the mast below deck five feet with a custom built I beam I spliced the mast or if you like sleeved it with a Ibeam and a pieces of the damaged mast for the front and rear of the splice. The boom was on a slider so it just slid down to the right hight. The splice was just below the spreader. That is were it snapped and the other damage was done by me when i had to crank the mast to the side of the boat by myself in a 35 knot blow in four to six seas. At the time I wasn't worried about more damage to the mast but the result was split table and twisted mast that had to be removed. My first time back out sailing I just put out reefed sails. I was scared. Until you have had a mast come down on you. I ask you to keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. It changed me. All for the better. I am a better sailor. I now can rig a sail boat. I did all the rigging by myself with the help of you tube and the riggers apprentice. All new stalok fitting. Total cost of the job. New Harkin roller new but used 1500. New cost 3500. Welding 900, staylok and wire 2200. Total repair under 5,000. Experience priceless. New running rigging 1200.00 I'm a big believer if you can't fix your own boat good luck to you when you are five hundred miles off shore. You will be praying for someone like me to sail by. I will upload some pics I found.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43   #30

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

So the fabrication of the beams was $900? The rigging, I imagine, would cost the same no matter the method with which the mast was spliced. Did you ever even consider or compare the cost to have a sleeve rolled to fit?

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Tags
mast