Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 15:43   #1

Boat: Alajuela 38
Bridge traveler installation

Installing a Schaefer 1 1/2" bridge traveler system on an Alajuela 38. Double-sheave car and single-sheave controls at the ends. Wondering about necessity of winches or can I get by with just rope clutches? Cutter 16T net. Full keel with 10k lbs lead.

Thanks!
Tom in Astoria
svtatoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 16:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bridge traveler installation

Not sure where the travellor is going. The farther forward it is, the more purchases or larger winch you are going to need to trim the sheet. We had a 4-1 purchase on the traveller mounted on the bridge deck of our W32 and had to run the sheet forward and back to a winch on the cabin top to have enough power to sheet in the sail.

Garhauer makes an 6-1 two speed block system that should let you get by without a winch if you have easy access to where the sheets exit the blocks on the traveller. Garhauer Marine Hardware -6810645
Believe Ronstan makes an 8-1 two speed setup and probably Harken as well but they are quite spendy. I've got 6-1/3-1 end boom setup on my Pearson 35's 15' boom and it works well. Pull on both sheets for rapid control like when jibing and 6-1 for power by pulling on just one sheet.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 16:30   #3

Had no problem with unwinched traveler on up to 47 ft mono, but then Inever found the need to pull it above center in most conditions. If anything just needed to let it down to lee side a bit. I believe most of mine were double blocked at each end. mine led thru the dodger (except the HC38) and I could have used the staysail winches if necessary. I used a preventer tackle to the rail, more than the travelers usually anyway...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 16:39   #4

Boat: Alajuela 38

Roverhi...installing the bridge mid-boom, just fwd of companionway.
svtatoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Misunderstood your post. You're wondering what you'll need to move the traveller up the track, right? Would expect a four part tackle led to a rope clutch would be fine. Easiest would be cam cleats on the traveller car but may not work with the location of the travellor especially with a dodger. 3-1 would probably also work but may take a pretty hefty pull to move the traveller, however. On my end boom sheeted traveller, a two part purchase works just fine. Will take more power to move the traveller as it moves forward on the boom
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote