Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 19:30   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Boom Wang, do I need one?

A reason to keep a topping lift if you have a hydraulic Vang is for when those seals fail, also depending on the weight you may have on your boom it may be a good idea to unload some of the weight when the sail is down, so maybe they don’t fail.
I guess I could also attach the main Halyard to the end of the boom to hold it up too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:45   #17

Re: Boom Wang, do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I have a Hylas 44 without a boom vang. Sails pretty good without a Vang, but I must wonder, would it sail better with one, and are there other considerations for the vang?

I have noticed two major types: 1)hydraulic rigid and 2) block and tackle with and without a ratchet. What are the pros and cons of each?

There are many controls on mast and main sail shape. A sheet is fundamental. A boom vang is next. Runners, backstay tensioner, check-stays, inner stay adjustment, mast jack the list goes on.
I would always have a vang. I prefer non hydraulic.
There are many systems produced by the major equipment suppliers
But a simple block and tackle works. The connection point to the boom and the base of the mast must be done considering the loads. I would personally only retrofit this with the assistance of a licences rigger.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 20:34   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
I think peg, a stick in the ground to which you might attach a rope holding a tent, comes from a different proto-Germanic word, *peg, a stake, and originates from proto-Indo-European *bak, a club, a stick, a peg.

I've never undertood why my Aussie mother used wooden clothes pegs to pin clothes to a laundry drying line while other people called the same things clothes pins. And my Aussie father would use a mallet to drive tent pegs into the ground.

Going back to that proto-Indo-European word *pehg or *pehg, to secure something securely, to unite two things together, you use another of its descendants when you pay out a line or the anchor rode.

Big difference is that in that case PIE *pehg, *pehk went via Latin pax, pacem, peace; to Old French 10th century payer, to appease, to satisfy, to pacify; to Middle English 1200 pay, to appease, to satisfy; to nautical English 1627 pay more cable, to slacken, to appease or satisfy the strain on the anchor rode.

That's a fair illustration of the differences in pronounciation between the descendants of one PIE word, when one descendant came via Germanic to English and the other descendant came via the Romance (Latin, French, etc) route.
Hmmm... PIE... Hittite perhaps??
(B.A. Linguistics, 1985)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 21:23   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

In the UK English world, where many recreational sailors were from the class of people who were more common with the rig and tackle of horses and carriages, kicking strap was the preferred term. That was in the mid- to late-1930s (1935 - 1937 if you prefer a little exactitude).

The term boom vang started being common in the late 1930s, around 1939. ...

Ashley, when I was dinghy sailing around Portsmouth and Langstone Harbours and the Solent in the early 60's we still called it a kicking strap.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 21:25   #20

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hmmm... PIE... Hittite perhaps??
(B.A. Linguistics, 1985)
That's certainly in the ball-park. And Hittite has a respectable vocab of verbs for doing things (words deal with joining, fastening etc). Quite innovative and revolutionary people.

Hittite is, I think, the first of the Indo-European languages to have been recorded in writing, from around 1500BCE (Old Hittite) - 1200 BCE (New Hittite).

I've only a limited Hittite word list at hand. Just looked through it quickly and did not see a word that would fit in the PIE *pehg - *pehk line. But that does not rule out Hittite being in the line leading from there to pay or to vang.

A decade or three ago, it was common to talk about Indo-European-Hittite.

Proto Indo-European is a hypothetical reconstructed language, suggested as the common language (or common languages, because one school of thought has it that there were several PIE languages) prior to the split into the various Indo-European language sub-families. Linguists who embrace PIE usually point to 39000 BCE, or thereabouts, as the date of currency.
Old 30-05-2018, 21:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Can't imagine sailing without a vang. Even with a traveller you don't have to ease off the wind much before you lose control of the leech tension and get a big belly in the sail. As you ease the boom out further the sail will contact the shrouds, etc. With a vang, you can haul down on the boom tightening the leech and extend the boom further before you have issues with chafe on the rigging.

Old style vang was a tackle to a pad eye on the deck or rail. If you rigged two permanent ones, one to each side, you had very good control of the side to movement of the boom in harbor which is a big plus. Under way the vang will need to be adjusted as sheet tension is changed which can be a pain and needs to be released when you tack. If you only have one tackle set up you'll have to move it from one side to the other when you gybe/tack. If you have a double set up semi permanently attached to each side, it's a built in boom gybe preventer which can be a life saver. Think more sailors die or are injured by gybes whether it be by accident or on purpose.

New style is either a tackle from boom to mast or a rod and tackle set up. The latter will support the boom when the sail is down eliminating the need for a topping lift. On a cruising boat both types take up real estate that could be better devoted to storing things like a dinghy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 08:51   #22

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

I had a boom wang when I was younger. Now - not so much
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:02   #23

Boat: Boatless

No one mentioned the “accidental jibe” yet.

Depending on the geometry of your pig that wang may save your backstay and by extension your mast.

(See what I did there) :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:34   #24

you might want to consider a boom kicker with a soft vang
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:44   #25

Boat: O’Day 40

Second that, can say enough about Gahaurer's vangs, reasonably priced, looks good, works like a charm.

Lou K
Shazam
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:06   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

No, you don't really need one especially if you aren't racing.

Many older boats don't even have them.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:08   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

On several of my boats I've removed the vang. Its really only needed when well off the wind, in breezy conditions. When this happens, I prefer to be under jib alone anyway. I find the vang gets in the way (especially on a small boat) and often causes trouble when setting the main, or trying to adjust the topping lift.

If your main has forward sheeting (forward of the hatch instead of on the stern) the vang does even less.

To be on the safe side, I keep the vang below, ready to go if needed. I put snap shackles on both ends for a quick connect. Its also a handy hoist, if needed to get someone or something heavy aboard, using the boom like a crane...I think its sometimes called a "handy billy".
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:55   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Typos in titles can be humorous.

I created one (a true typo) myself, not long ago.

"Boom Wang" caused me to chuckle.

If you want a moderator can correct the typo for you, if you ask.

Vang or Wang may not make much difference to most.
You were not alone with the chuckle. Typos suck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:36   #29

Boat: Pearson 367

Boom Wang isn't completely wrong. I crewed on a Bavaria and it was labeled from the factory as a boom wang. In german the W has a Vee sound. Of course we enjoyed some jokes about it.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:39   #30

Boat: Montevideo 43

How do you sail without one? The top of the sail is always open and spilling pressure!!! When sailing with a spinny, and you are on the edge, cooking away , and a gust hits you, how do you spill some wind to gain control????
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote