Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 15:25   #1

Boat: Hanse 505
"Best" spar manufacturer

I am planning to start a new build on a 54-60 foot monohull. This is a 1.5 to 2 year process and one of the early decisions will be spars. The boat will be delivered in Europe, sailed in the Med and then across the pond. While I am not a "racer" I want a extremely reliable boat that will handle well in heavy weather and during passages. My current 50 is all Seldon, which seems to be a quality made and reliable rig. That said, on a clean-sheet design (a semi-custom boat), I can do pretty much anything, including carbon, hydraulic height adjustments, etc. I am sure there are plenty of opinions out there on rigging suppliers. Comments appreciated.

Dave
SausalitoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 17:32   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: "Best" spar manufacturer

I like Selden allright. Esp. their custom builds. I have seen many great masts from Hall and Southern Spars. And I love spars on Amels BUT these cannot be purchased ex-boat I think.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 17:59   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

One of those big name spar shops is in Oakland.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 21:10   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Aren't we the wrong people to be asking? I would think that those designing the boat would be the ones to ask. After all, that's what your paying for!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 23:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would probably go with Hall Spar. But then for a boat this size I wouldn't even consider anything but carbon so I am a little prejudice.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:37   #6

@ Cabo_Sailor, the builders of most boats can and are happy to go however, the buyer wants on spars. That said, they typically have a preferred supplier. Just trying to get some opinions and ideas. Keeping weight aloft low is important as is reliability. I will be sailing short handed most of the time and considering auto-furling as well. Some of the spar suppliers have better/worse systems.
Old 31-08-2015, 10:23   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
"Best" spar manufacturer

I hear what you're saying and for the most part agree. But it seems the basic elements such as height, boom length were part of the design based on hull shaped, displacement and so on.

A discussion with them could define the envelope. You might then present the options you are considering and get feedback. If they have a computer model, you might get results in real time.

Best of luck
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 10:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausalitoDave View Post
@ Cabo_Sailor, the builders of most boats can and are happy to go however, the buyer wants on spars. That said, they typically have a preferred supplier. Just trying to get some opinions and ideas. Keeping weight aloft low is important as is reliability. I will be sailing short handed most of the time and considering auto-furling as well. Some of the spar suppliers have better/worse systems.
What follows is written in a friendly, curious tone, and is not a judgement or criticism of your decisions or thinking.

Are you considering a furling boom or a furling mast (in-mast furling) of the mainsail?

If so, please post what you have found so far related to comments/opinions/facts regarding mainsail furling. I am interested in current information (recent or now, rather than years past).

Assuming that you are considering some type of mainsail furling, here is a Google Custom Search of this forum on the key words "in BOOM furling" that might prove helpful to you for research.

in boom furling - Google Search

Here is a Google Custom Search of this forum on the key words "in MAST furling" that might prove helpful to you for research.

in boom furling - Google Search
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:11   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My rigger, who I have known for forty years and trust above anyone else, recommends Ballenger Spars in Watsonville. Talk to Buzz. They are busy so get your order in ASAP I'd guess.
http://ballengerspars.com/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Dave

We are looking at doing the same thing, although considerably smaller at 49 feet.

Details are being finalised, but the current front runner is a Selden aluminium mast.

Selden seem to produce a very high quality product. Their popularity suggests replacement parts will be reasonably easily available in the future.

Custom boatbuilders will use anything you prefer, but there is some advantage using products they have used successfully on the same, or similar, models before.

This is a good resource. It lists the specifications of many mast sections which makes comparison easy:

Mast sections - Free Online Catalog

Some details of your project would be great.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 20:59   #11

I am considering a furling system. I tend to sail very short handed. My current boat has a traditional rig with lazy jacks. It works well, but moving up from 50 to 50++ feet means a lot more weight. The issue with in mast furling is weight aloft and less performance from a sail with little roach and no horizontal battens. That said, it does enable you to carry more sail later into weather feeling comfortable that a reef is just a button push away. I am a bit concerned with in-boom furling as there is so much that can go wrong on the hoist. Difficult decisions, but building new has it appeal.
Old 31-08-2015, 21:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am no expert on these, but the in BOOM furling seems more appealing to me.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 15:43   #13

Quote:
I am considering a furling system. I tend to sail very short handed. My current boat has a traditional rig with lazy jacks. It works well, but moving up from 50 to 50++ feet means a lot more weight. The issue with in mast furling is weight aloft and less performance from a sail with little roach and no horizontal battens. That said, it does enable you to carry more sail later into weather feeling comfortable that a reef is just a button push away. I am a bit concerned with in-boom furling as there is so much that can go wrong on the hoist. Difficult decisions, but building new has it appeal.
One thing to keep in mind about any roach-less, batten-less main is it really reduces the boats pointing ability. It also is convenient only as long as it reliably functions under the harshest conditions.
Old 02-09-2015, 15:16   #14

@ Don, Reliability matters. I have sailed some inexpensive in mast systems and had them jam at the worst possible times. I went with a traditional system on my 50 for that reason. However, on a larger boat, I don't think I can easily handle flaking and covering the main, too much sail and the boom is too high. There are some pretty robust in-mast systems, but as has been noted, they will not point as well. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.
Old 02-09-2015, 16:18   #15

Quote:
@ Don, Reliability matters. I have sailed some inexpensive in mast systems and had them jam at the worst possible times. I went with a traditional system on my 50 for that reason. However, on a larger boat, I don't think I can easily handle flaking and covering the main, too much sail and the boom is too high. There are some pretty robust in-mast systems, but as has been noted, they will not point as well. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.
Well, how about free standing masts with wish bones and lazy jacks? Just a thought. Full battened sails could be easier too... though they do have drawbacks too...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37