Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 15:10   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Best Material For Dodgers?

not sure if this is the right forum but, I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, am looking for recommendations on best material to make dodgers. Price is a consideration, waterproof/non waterproof (non waterproof for sail covers) Sunlight resistance (australia = high sun exposure) any recommendations on suppliers in sydney would also be helpful.
cheers, Charlie.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:12   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Best Material For Dodgers?

Always used Sunbrella, but next time it will be Stamoid, sewn with Tenara.
Old 05-10-2013, 15:17   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
One thing I found with stamoid is it doesn't breath like sunbrella. I get more condensation on the underside then I did with sunbrella otherwise its fine. Time will tell if using the expensive thread Tenara and stamoid pays off.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 16:12   #4
cruiser

WeatherMax
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 16:22   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Another vote for Stamoid. We are just restiching a 10 year old dodger and bimini made of Stamoid.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:47   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Stamoid is good stuff in many ways, but because of its lack of bias stretch it is troublesome for the amateur to fit well. Add the difficulties found in using the slippery Tenara thread and you have an advanced project for a non-pro. IF successful, it should last very well indeed, so good luck.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-10-2013, 19:19   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Stamoid is good stuff in many ways, but because of its lack of bias stretch it is troublesome for the amateur to fit well. Add the difficulties found in using the slippery Tenara thread and you have an advanced project for a non-pro. IF successful, it should last very well indeed, so good luck. Cheers, Jim
Agree,
I did mine with Tenara and stamoid on board skills with old singer machine. Looks pretty good but more difficult then past materials. Not sure that its worth not using sunbrella.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aluminum or carbon fiber
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 22:15   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Another vote for Stamoid. We are just restiching a 10 year old dodger and bimini made of Stamoid.
I agree…a good vinyl will outlast Sunbrella materials for many years.

As we all know, it is the “thread” that becomes the weak link.
It fails and repeated stitching weakens the material.

That is why I don’t understand why those who chose vinyl, do not weld it together to avoid the threads?

That is what I did here in Subic with a company PacTec that has all the vinyl welding equipment.
The only stitching is where we sewed Velcro on sides to attach shade cloths and to wrap stainless pipe.

My Bimini cover is now 4 years old, and has gone thru a few typhoons with no damages and I can stand on the material without worry.
These photos were taken when very dirty, but later it cleaned up like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	68244   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Bimini Sides DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	68245  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another point: Sunbrella is very resistant to UV damage, and that's a good feature indeed... for covers and so on. But, it has very poor chafe resistance and its waterproofing only lasts a year or two. Those drawbacks, for us, have ruled it out for dodgers.

We built one Sunbrella dodger on Insatiable I, quite some years ago. It was a bugger of a project, and never quite satisfied us as to fit, appearance or adequacy of shelter. Recognizing our limitations, all further dodgers have been built by professionals, and even these experienced chaps don't always get it right! All these have been constructed from what is called "PVC hooding material" in Oz. It is the sort of stuff that convertible tops are made from, a sturdy textile scrim base with PVC impregnated into it for waterproofing. Seems to last about 8 to 10 years in severe UV conditions... gradually shrinks a tiny bit and becomes stiff. The Tenara stitching outlasts the cloth, and is well worth the extra cost.

The big failing point in our usage has been in the material used for the "clears". Again the good stuff is expensive, but in our opinion (honed by several cheaper failures) worth doing right from the start.

A good dodger is such an important feature in a cruising boat -- I hope that you get it done well!

Cheers,

Jim

PS: I agree with Evans... a hard dodger, whatever it is made from, is better than any "soft" one. The sad thing is that far too many of them look like sawed-off telephone booths, spoiling the appearance of otherwise pretty boats. It is possible to avoid that downfall if one exercises some restraint in the height of the structure, and gets the slope of the forward panels right. I think that Van de Stadt (the designers of Evans' Hawk) do a very good job of this, BTW.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30   #11

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

This 2011 Marine Fabric Specifier's Guide from the Marine Fabricators Association shows all the important characteristics of marine fabric in tabular form.

They also have a handy 2013 Time Standards Manual that lists standard time for each project.

The PTFE thread is the best / only option to prevent the thread from disintegrating from sun exposure.

My selection was for Sunbrella Supreme w/ Captain Navy color on the exterior and Linen color on the interior. The linen interior color aids w/ decreasing radiated heat transfer to occupants, as compared to the darker interior colors. It is also nicer at night, making the boat not as dark. The Sunbrella Supreme is waterproof. This fabric has flocking on the interior, that I needed for the exterior sunshade panels that contact the Strataglass during dockage times.

Here is my enclosure.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 17:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
I made our dodger with regular sunbrella, strataglass clear and solarfix ptfe thread. I also had the frames made with plenty of curve. one of the most common reasons for sunbrella leaking is water pooling. after 3.5 years its still good as new except for the stratglass is getting murky. I've made about 50+ dodger. always reinforced with pvc on the inside and used 25mm polyester webbing as binding. The first ones i made are wearing out now after 10 years. used swella, seapatrol and sunbrella. was one of my least favorite jobs but could patten in the morning and have it fitted late afternoon so the money was good..
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 18:15   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kenomac mentioned Weather-Max.

I like it, too. It is very easy to work with. It is more chafe resistant than sunbrella. Next time my choice for weather cloths will be based on the cost of the fabric involved. The W-M has lasted quite well so far. But for a dodger, I'd have it constructed from Stamoid (if you can't fit a suitable hard dodger), using ptfe thread. The thread means you'll never have to re-stitch it. Yes!

Ann
Old 06-10-2013, 23:30   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Uhmmm...Hard dodger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger Joli Elle 004.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	68275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Dodger1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	68276  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46   #15

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have a Stamoid dodger and bimini... Can't beat the durability and it is completely water proof.

The problem we had in the tropics was mildew... Although it does clean off with a mild solution of bleach and water... leaving no stains.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger