Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 14:26   #16

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Best Lazy Jack System for 30' Pearson, single-hand?

What would be the best line to use for the lazy jacks, considering ours is a ketch and the main mast is only 34' tall.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:43   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Another thing to think about, get a zero friction device for your mainsail track. I have the Tides mainsail track that will come down in a few seconds even with stress on it. I never have to pull my sail down and stuff into the bag.

It comes down very fast. I think it is a safety device.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:44   #18

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I used regular 1/4" halyard line from a small catamaran I had.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 15:07   #19

Boat: SS34

Go straight to a stack pack lazy jack system. Lazy jacks are fine by themselves but the stack pack combination especially with full battens will transform your sailing. Just ease off the lazy jacks when sailing, they wont touch the sail. If you secure the rear of the stack pack to the topping lift the stack pack will just hang parallel to the boom while sailing. Check out Youtube for examples. Here is mine on a 30 footer.

I made this video a few years ago on my old yacht to demonstrate how the lazy jacks don't effect the mainsail while sailing.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 15:50   #20

Boat: Outbound 46

We had the Dutchman system on our Pearson 303, and loved it. No reservations.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 19:30   #21

Boat: Pearson 365

One other nice thing about the Dutchman is that reefing is real easy. You really don’t have to tie the reefing points, unless it is blowing really hard.
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:55   #22

Boat: Pearson 30

Thanks for your input, everyone. So, a bit more analysis needed on my end to follow up on these informative replies. I will also look into the Dutchman system.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:00   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
The right solution is first full battens and a good sliding track system, then lazy jacks.

agree and this is also the right setup for a stack pack
Old 10-04-2021, 05:11   #24

Boat: Pearson 30

.Good point. I have battened main, The sliders and track need some work, the stack pack would be a good idea. The sale cover is relatively new and very roomy and I would think could be modified into a stack pack of some sort.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:57   #25

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

On my Pearson 30, we have SS rings found a 10 pack on Amazon, and a 3/16 line for lazy jacks. No problems and It was easy enough to make.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 20:18   #26

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I just installed lazy jacks last week and went out for the first time. they were a PITA ,went forward to reef and the jacks got all tangled or crossed with the other lines and halyard. . There was gale warnings forcasted and I wanted to test my storm sails. I have a trysail on a seperate track. I changed my mind because the jack lines were too much hassle. I hope I get this figured out to be more easy. They are great 90% of the time when the weather is good. Today I raised the storm sails in the harbor slip and the lazy jacks are going to be a problem in a storm I hope some of you can offer some suggestions.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 21:54   #27

Boat: Island Packet 420

Once you have raised the sail, it helps to tighten up the lazy jacks so they are taut. That way they are not so likely to foul anything.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 00:06   #28

Boat: Nordic 44

The best lazy jack system is retracted until you are ready to drop the main. The lines should be hooked near the goose neck, placed there after you have flaked down the main. That way you eliminate chafe on the main and keep every thing clear if you want to use a trysail.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I just installed lazy jacks last week and went out for the first time. they were a PITA ,went forward to reef and the jacks got all tangled or crossed with the other lines and halyard. . There was gale warnings forcasted and I wanted to test my storm sails. I have a trysail on a seperate track. I changed my mind because the jack lines were too much hassle. I hope I get this figured out to be more easy. They are great 90% of the time when the weather is good. Today I raised the storm sails in the harbor slip and the lazy jacks are going to be a problem in a storm I hope some of you can offer some suggestions.
There's lots of different ways to rig lazy jacks--now you just have to find the right way. It could be as simple as moving the mast attachment point up or down (I had to do that), or leading the falls to a different location. Where everything lands on the boom can also be changed, as well as how many legs you need. I would hoist the storm sail, then rig up lazy jacks in a way that they don't interfere with its operation.
Know also that if anything ever is going to tangle or twist, it will invariably do so when it's blowing dogs off chains, and enough practice doing it in benign conditions will help you sort it when things get thick.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:09   #30

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Once you have raised the sail, it helps to tighten up the lazy jacks so they are taut. That way they are not so likely to foul anything.
Oh dear! This is the complete opposite of what I do - I slacken the LZs off a bit so they don't chafe the sail - or even change the shape of the sail which they will do if they are tight. But my LZs run up through a pair of small blocks on the mast. Some people put those blocks out on the spreaders - I suppose for this reason?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, single