Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 13:13   #1

Attaching messenger line to cable

I'm just about to pull some new cable through a mast. I will be using the cable to be replaced to pull a messenger line through, then using the messenger line to pull through the new cable. Can anyone advise on the best method of securing the messenger to the cable?
Swillysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 13:27   #2

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Attaching messenger line to cable

Depends on a few things I usually put a loop in the messenger then electrical tape the heck out of it. That usually works. If there is nothing to snag on I sometimes zip tie things together. For must pulls though I just lay the cable and the messenger side by side with about 6-8 inches of overlap and tightly electrical tape them together going about 2-3 inches past each side.
Old 15-08-2016, 13:37   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

One possibility is to take the first foot (appx) of messenger and "whip" the end of the main line you are pulling.

Serves 2 purposes.
1: you are preventing the end from fraying out better than just heat sealing (which you should do also)
2: extremely secure hold for the messenger.

Then use some blue painter's tape to turn the flat end of the main line into a shape that won't catch as easily.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 13:50   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, swilly sailor,

Sometimes, one's mast is already very crowded. Jim sometimes stitches ours, end to end, then wraps the join with the kind of electrical tape that is slippery on the non-stickum side. You can buy lubricant for pulling wires through, too. We have used dishwashing detergent (like Joy or Dawn) to lubricate the wire, as well. The process is generally a bit of a pita, but you/anyone can do it. Good on you for giving it a go.

Ann
Old 15-08-2016, 14:27   #5

Boat: O'Day 302

+1 on the lube! Its also a good idea to attach TWO messenger lines. That way if things get snagged and/or something breaks, you've got another one already run.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 15:00   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Just crammed a bunch of wires into a conduit in my mast the other day. I used 2mm spectra tied in a hitch and taped for security. Like Ann suggests, plenty of slippery lube. We used shampoo we had onboard for the job because the thicker the better. One gotcha we experienced was interference from the too long rivets protruding into the conduit, as well as twists in the conduit presumably from past wire pulling episodes. This caused a lot of binding when pulling, so the non stretching and high strength spectra makes an excellent choice. Staggering the cables and using tape to form a point at the leading end helped stopped jagging on rivets, too.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 01:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Depends on a few things I usually put a loop in the messenger then electrical tape the heck out of it. That usually works. If there is nothing to snag on I sometimes zip tie things together. For must pulls though I just lay the cable and the messenger side by side with about 6-8 inches of overlap and tightly electrical tape them together going about 2-3 inches past each side.
For the must pulls, when you tape the messenger and cable side by side, do you fold the messenger back on itself, ie tape 3", fold it back and tape it over itself?
Old 16-08-2016, 01:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
One possibility is to take the first foot (appx) of messenger and "whip" the end of the main line you are pulling.

Serves 2 purposes.
1: you are preventing the end from fraying out better than just heat sealing (which you should do also)
2: extremely secure hold for the messenger.

Then use some blue painter's tape to turn the flat end of the main line into a shape that won't catch as easily.
I can imagine this wiring with line, but do you know if it would work with co-axial cable?
Old 16-08-2016, 01:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard, swilly sailor,

Sometimes, one's mast is already very crowded. Jim sometimes stitches ours, end to end, then wraps the join with the kind of electrical tape that is slippery on the non-stickum side. You can buy lubricant for pulling wires through, too. We have used dishwashing detergent (like Joy or Dawn) to lubricate the wire, as well. The process is generally a bit of a pita, but you/anyone can do it. Good on you for giving it a go.

Ann
Thanks. Like the idea of washing up liquid!
Old 16-08-2016, 01:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
+1 on the lube! Its also a good idea to attach TWO messenger lines. That way if things get snagged and/or something breaks, you've got another one already run.
How do you attach the two lines without making it very bulky?
Old 16-08-2016, 01:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Just crammed a bunch of wires into a conduit in my mast the other day. I used 2mm spectra tied in a hitch and taped for security. Like Ann suggests, plenty of slippery lube. We used shampoo we had onboard for the job because the thicker the better. One gotcha we experienced was interference from the too long rivets protruding into the conduit, as well as twists in the conduit presumably from past wire pulling episodes. This caused a lot of binding when pulling, so the non stretching and high strength spectra makes an excellent choice. Staggering the cables and using tape to form a point at the leading end helped stopped jagging on rivets, too.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Great. Thanks.
Old 16-08-2016, 09:04   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

If you're using coax to pull messenger to pull new coax why not solder new coax to old and tape up solder join? If in addition a messenger left in place is desired then attach some 2mm line at joint then tape.

Not clear what you're pulling but seemed you are replacing coax.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 09:23   #13

Many mast pulls are very tight at the spreaders especially. I usually tie a knot or two of the pull line around and tape it up making a taper. If the wire budle is fixed together at the ends, then I run the line thru it. I prefer masking tape as electrical tape is pliable and will snag more readily. I use the very strong 1/8" or 3/32" Dacron hard line.
For halyards I usually use a piece of thin monel seizing wire making a loop thru the old halyard and the new so they butt up end to end. Twist the monel at the ends .Then tape over.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 10:38   #14

Great. Thanks. I should have been clearer at the start.
Old 16-08-2016, 11:09   #15

Boat: Downeaster 38

I've always used good quality heat shrink tubing. It usually has a heat activated adhesive on the inside it and is incredibly strong. When I'm replacing line with line I just cut between the two ends and keep the heat shrink as a whipping.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote