Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2023, 16:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Anyone used Swi-tec mastlift products

I need a way to get to the top of my mast- have looked at ATN, ascenders and the ladders etc. when i ran across this product- appeals to me because i can control myself rather than have someone below handling lines etc.-- the admiral could tail a safety line from under the hard bimini and would not have to have a great deal of strength to provide safety. We have electric winches but as i get older and more cowardly ( i don't heal as fast anymore) i don't want to put my fate in the hands of someone down below and really don't want to trust an electric winch to get me up and down- heaven forbid a stuck solenoid etc.

our mast is relatively short but i don't want to put steps all the way up the mast. We have had at least one and possibly two fatalities in our area from people working on their masts and falling in the last 12 months-- no wish to join that club.
anyone out there with experience with the SWI-TEC mast lift system? yes, it is expensive but i am thinking it is relatively cheap way to stay safer? thanks in advance. link follows:
https://swi-tec.com/product/alone-on...t-25m-swi-tec/

"you dont need a parachute to skydive, you need a parachute to skydive TWICE.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 19:45   #2

Re: Anyone used Swi-tec mastlift products

The SWi-tec is a pretty classy device but its still dependent on the integrity of the halyard. Hoisting it to the masthead is also difficult if there’s any swell or a stiff breeze. It’s also very low geared so the ascent is slow. My mast is not suitable for the SWI-tec but it worked very well for lifting my engine out.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, mast