Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 23:01   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Anyone Remember Cotton/Canvas Sails?

i was thinking about the previous thread about furler vs hanks and it occurred to me that i started sailing with dacron sails about 50 years ago and i've never used a cotton or canvas sail - anyone remember what they were like? How long did they last? how long did they retain a useful shape? Were there any advantages over synthetics (kinda cant imagine any...)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 23:14   #2

Re: Anyone Remember Cotton/Canvas Sails?

Worked well when they sailed square riggers and they had a full time sailmaker onboard. The boats never went to windward( the way we know it) so no need to worry about sail shape. Cannon balls went through them easier too.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 08:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had one on my first boat, a sailfish. Soaked up serious water/weight when wet. Really made keeping the boat upright a challenge. Tipped the boat over and stuck the sail in the mud. Forever afterwards had a brown sail at the lateen head.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 08:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone Remember Cotton/Canvas Sails?

We had them on the Royal Navy Montague Whalers and 32ft Cutters I learnt to sail on back in 64/5... we also had oars and had to de-mast the boat on the move when switching from sail to manpower... they were a fair bit heavier.. more so when wet but they did the job just fine..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We had them on the Royal Navy Montague Whalers and 32ft Cutters I learnt to sail on back in 64/5... we also had oars and had to de-mast the boat on the move when switching from sail to manpower... they were a fair bit heavier.. more so when wet but they did the job just fine..

My first dinghy had cotton sails, they were easier to stow didn't crease so easily, but as above heavy when wet. They were from 1952 and we still sailed with them in 1986 !
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 00:03   #6

I have never used them, but Eric and Susan Hiscock wrote about them on their first round the world trip. Their next trip around, they used Teryline(dacron) and didnt seem to think that they were that much better. Of course Eric was VERY CONSERVATIVE and wasnt into change. The old J boats used cotton and went to weather like a freight train, so cotton can do the job, but why have something that will rot out in a few days if it gets wet in storage? I like old school, but not that old. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, member, sail, sails