Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 08:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42 catamaran 13m
Anti UV protection for Code 0?

I am looking for an anti UV protection for a code 0 on a catamaran. The protection needed is light, typically within a day and when cruising in light winds. This is far less demanding that a headsail protection with stays on its shroud continuously for several months a year.

An anti UV band in tissu, Sunbrella like, seems not well suited for the thickness and rigidity it creates.

Are there solutions like an anti UV varnish, anti UV paint or anti UV adhesive which have been tested and proven reasonably durable (say over 3 years).

Thanks in advance.

Patrick Liot
pamadoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anti UV protection for Code 0?

My code Zero has a UV strip on it, I believe it’s just thin sail cloth though, nowhere near as UV proof as Sunbrella, so it’s stowed down below when we don’t expect to use it, where I always leave my head sails up.

Even the thin sailcloth does add some weight of course and I believe makes the sail stiffer when furled and therefore harder to put away, so I’m not sure that it wouldn’t be better without it, and just always take the sail down. It’s not hard to do, ours goes through the fwd Stateroom hatch. Hardest part is it’s not small nor light to stow.

You can see it in this photo, it’s quite large, maybe a foot or so on the edges of course.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	194191
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot