Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 00:17   #1

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
All-New Rigging from Scratch - But How ?

Okay guys, here’s my dilemma! I picked up a good solid Grampian 26 about a month back and I'm building it into a nice little pocket liveaboard. My biggest issue so far is that she only came with a bare mast and strangely enough a spinnaker pole. No rigging, no spreaders, no boom, no sails, nada. I found sail plan measurements easily enough online, I even found the length of the boom I'll need to make, but how exactly can I figure out the length of the spreaders and standing rigging? I found the G26 owners manual PDF online and the drawings are completely unintelligible. Is there a safe way to do all this or do I need to somehow cradle the mast unsupported in place and take measurements the hard way? (Sounds extreme but I haven't figured any other options yet) Also, can anyone out there think of any improvements on the original rigging designs I can try for while I'm redoing it all anyway?

Thanks everybody!

-Ryan
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:56   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: All new rigging from scratch, But how?

Just draw it to scale and measure the result. You can decide on spreader length by looking at similar boats and draw them to scale.

There is a Turkish built 100ft boat in Curacao that has spreaders made from 4x4's and he managed to sail the Atlantic.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: All-New Rigging from Scratch - But How ?

Unless you’re fairly expert in rigging, this may be a project requiring professional assistance.
For a start, Google “plane geometry” (triangles).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Spreaders shouldn't be too difficult, draw to scale, make sure they bisect the total angle of the "bend" in the cap shroud and that the cap shroud is parallel to the mast below the spreader.

For the rigging wire, again, draw to scale, measure each part and add a margin for error (say 10%). Plan to use Sta Lok terminals (or similar) on at least the lower end of each stay/shroud.

If you want to be cautious, just make the lower shrouds first, attach them to the mast, stand the mast using halyards and temporary lines to support and cut and fit the lower shrouds bottom terminals and secure to rigging screws / chain plates.

The mast will be now firmly in position allowing you to measure the rest of the wires.

I would plan to do it all at once but if this is your first foray into rigging, go the careful route.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a rigger, just a DIY boat owner who has always rigged my own boats.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31   #5

Boat: grampian 26

I can get you the the length of the spreaders as my mast is sitting on top of the boat for the winter but measuring my shrouds in that position would be somewhat inaccurate. My back stay is split for a back stay tensioner and find it helpful for taking the sag out of the heastayl when flying the big genny. Something you might want to consider.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:18   #6

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')

Your spreaders should measure 30 3/4" overall length (each).

Don't even think of changing the rigging set up without professional input. The original works.

Any rigging shop will have the dimensions on file for a G-26. They probably don't want to give you this information for free since their business is doing rigging.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging