Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 10:40   #1

47' Mast DIY Standing Rigging replacement

This is a 36' sailboat with a 47' mast. I have never touched the standing rigging before and I am sure it would need replacing to make the insurance company happy.

I would honestly like to drop the mast for a thorough inspection anyway. Is replacing the standing rigging a job that one person should try and tackle?
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:09   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: 47' Mast DIY Standing Rigging replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
This is a 36' sailboat with a 47' mast. I have never touched the standing rigging before and I am sure it would need replacing to make the insurance company happy.

I would honestly like to drop the mast for a thorough inspection anyway. Is replacing the standing rigging a job that one person should try and tackle?

Normally yes, but depends on how handy you are. Once the mast is down, could measure or take them to a rigger to have them make exact replacements. Then its just a matter of re-installing them before you put the mast up again.
If you are handier, you could buy Hayn Hi-mods (or similar) and appropriately sized wire to make your own. Found in our refit that the one time cost of the re-usable Hi-mods was approx. equivalent (or less) to the swage and labor cost for each end fitting. These were better than waiting for a rigger that was backed up and couldn't get to our job for awhile. Also these fitting don't crack/fail like one can find on the sleeves of swage terminals. If you are going to keep your boat for a long time and replace the standing again, then it it would be another plus for the Hi-mods.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 22:01   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post

Very simple. You can get the parts and put it all together yourself if you use Stay-loks. Watch a Youtube video and your an instant expert. Seriously.

Or you can just order the rig complete and put it on the mast.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 23:25   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

if you are doing this for insurance purposes, before doing it yourself check whether your insurance co will accept such

probably need at least a recognised rigger to check all afterwards, but can youn find a rigger willing to do this ?

cheers,

Tags
DIY, mast, men, rigging