Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 14:14   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
PUDDLE JUMPER II's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Posts: 118
2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

So I have seen alot of chatter about this stainless steel alternative--- but literally no posts about using it for chainplates-- or projects or project pages showing how to manage this super HARD material...

1) Does it need to be annealed after slight bending (to achieve angle)?

2) Does it need to be annealed after drilling 5-8 holes in the material?

Thanks...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 14:26   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: oriental
Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Posts: 4,368
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Would love to know more myself....

1) Where did you buy it?
2) Where do you get the 2205 nuts and bolts?

I couldn't find answers to these so I ended up using titanium instead.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 16:45   #3
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 19,795
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
So I have seen alot of chatter about this stainless steel alternative--- but literally no posts about using it for chainplates-- or projects or project pages showing how to manage this super HARD material...

1) Does it need to be annealed after slight bending (to achieve angle)?

2) Does it need to be annealed after drilling 5-8 holes in the material?

Thanks...

Skipper T
PJ, first, 2205 isn't particularly hard. It is pretty stiff, though, and will take a strong brake to bend it. No annealing required after small bend or drilling.

Our chain plates have no bend in them, and I did not fabricate them myself, but when we pulled them a few years back (at age ~27 years) they had zero pitting or other evidence of corrosion. Still shiny in the deck penetration area!

And Sean, I have no current info about sourcing 2205 plate. And in our case I've used 316 machine screws in their mounting, since it is in a dry environment I don't worry about corrosion.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, still hanging out in Port Cygnet. Summer was nice... it was on a Tuesday... and now winter has descended upon Tasmania. Brrr.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 18:12   #4
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Posts: 2,071
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

For Led Myne's 15th birthday, I replaced her 316 ss chainplates with:
* 2205 duplex ss (for most chainplates); and
* 2507 super duplex ss (for chainplates that were at the waterline or subject to significant spray and dunking).

These were external chainplates.

Three pairs of shroud c'plates had to be curved to fit the shape of the hull and with one or two slight bends. A couple of other c'plates had to have an slight bend. Three or more c'plates needed lugs welded onto them.

For what little it is worth, I sourced the plate 2205 and 2507, laser cut to shape, from Sterlings at Coopers Plains. I carried the plate to NRG Piping at Beenleigh for pressing (curving and bending), welding, and polishing (to mirror No. 8). Those enterprises just happen to be reasonably local to me (although far enough to pack a cut lunch for the journey).

NRG Piping had massive experience working with duplex ss and super duplex ss. I discussed with them the particular characteristics of welding duplex. They were more than familiar with what I had learned from my research.

No annealling, just controlled speed and lubricated drilling to avoid overheat.

Led Myne's external c'plates are attached with carriage bolts. Enamoured by the idea that fasteners ought be a grade more resistant to oxygen-starvation corrosion and chlorine ion-induced corrosion than the c'plates, I went to Anzor Fasteners at Acacia Ridge (also fairly local if you accept the need to pack a cut lunch for the journey) and asked them to source carriage bolts and nuts in 2507 super duplex ss. I suspect Anzor sourced them from somewhere in NW Eurasia but since I left that to them I really have 0 knowledge of the source.

As mentioned above, Sterlings supplied the duplex and super duplex plate laser cut to size. Sterlings also laser cut the square holes to accommodate the square necks of the carriage bolts. I figured that meant less stress (Led Myne's original 316 ss c'plates showed stress corrosion cracks originating at the corners of a couple three of those square holes. The fabricator of the original c'plates had I guess drilled the 316 plate and then filed the circular holes to make square holes).

I've discussed other detail of that project on CF in the past.
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 22:01   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
PUDDLE JUMPER II's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Posts: 118
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
For Led Myne's 15th birthday, I replaced her 316 ss chainplates with:
* 2205 duplex ss (for most chainplates); and
* 2507 super duplex ss (for chainplates that were at the waterline or subject to significant spray and dunking).

These were external chainplates.

Three pairs of shroud c'plates had to be curved to fit the shape of the hull and with one or two slight bends. A couple of other c'plates had to have an slight bend. Three or more c'plates needed lugs welded onto them.

For what little it is worth, I sourced the plate 2205 and 2507, laser cut to shape, from Sterlings at Coopers Plains. I carried the plate to NRG Piping at Beenleigh for pressing (curving and bending), welding, and polishing (to mirror No. 8). Those enterprises just happen to be reasonably local to me (although far enough to pack a cut lunch for the journey).

NRG Piping had massive experience working with duplex ss and super duplex ss. I discussed with them the particular characteristics of welding duplex. They were more than familiar with what I had learned from my research.

No annealling, just controlled speed and lubricated drilling to avoid overheat.

Led Myne's external c'plates are attached with carriage bolts. Enamoured by the idea that fasteners ought be a grade more resistant to oxygen-starvation corrosion and chlorine ion-induced corrosion than the c'plates, I went to Anzor Fasteners at Acacia Ridge (also fairly local if you accept the need to pack a cut lunch for the journey) and asked them to source carriage bolts and nuts in 2507 super duplex ss. I suspect Anzor sourced them from somewhere in NW Eurasia but since I left that to them I really have 0 knowledge of the source.

As mentioned above, Sterlings supplied the duplex and super duplex plate laser cut to size. Sterlings also laser cut the square holes to accommodate the square necks of the carriage bolts. I figured that meant less stress (Led Myne's original 316 ss c'plates showed stress corrosion cracks originating at the corners of a couple three of those square holes. The fabricator of the original c'plates had I guess drilled the 316 plate and then filed the circular holes to make square holes).

I've discussed other detail of that project on CF in the past.
Thank you! Wow...grateful for the insight and information... Jackpot!
__________________
Thanks....

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:16   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
PUDDLE JUMPER II's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Posts: 118
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

So this PDF is what has made me think that annealing is required.... Did I misinterpret this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2205_SS_Shop_Sheet_102.pdf (129.6 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Thanks....

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
PUDDLE JUMPER II's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Posts: 118
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Alan-- please see the PDF attached about 2205SS... Did I misinterpret the annealing requirements?
__________________
Thanks....

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 00:26   #8
Registered User
 
Searles's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Port adelaide south australia
Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Posts: 429
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

2205 is just a better S/S ,using 316 fastenings will do the job ,avoid 304 ,even 316L will do for chain plates ,just pull them every 10 yrs or so as a check .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:39   #9
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Caribbean live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 5,887
Images: 84
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

I replaced our main plates with GR 5 titanium. No more worry, no inspections. By the material n line from general supply houses, not marine affiliated (expensive) places. Don’t say it’s for a boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:48   #10
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Posts: 2,071
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
Alan-- please see the PDF attached about 2205SS... Did I misinterpret the annealing requirements?
2205 duplex ss and 2507 super duplex do have greater springback than 316 ss, as clearly shown in the chart in the document you attached.

The fabricator I used, NRG Piping, had considerable experience working with both 2205 and 2507 (as the company name suggests, they'd built pipelines using duplex and super duplex ss) and regarded pressing to the shapes and angles Led Myne needed as routine. We talked with the workers in the workshop and observed a couple of the jobs - none of the workers sailed and all were curious about chainplates and their design function. They seemed to appreciate the photo images I sent them of the finished product of their work in situ after installation.

Your question is about the magnitude of the angular bends required.

In the case of the exterior chainplates for Led Myne, curving 2205 to the shape of her hull and cold pressing to the slight angles needed did not require annealing.

I took the time to get out the construction diagrams of Led Myne's chainplates. Biggest bends were in the aft pair of shroud chainplates: 40 degrees. Other bends were 22 degrees and 9 degrees.

I accept that some angle exists at which annealing is recommended when bending 2205. I don't know that angle. Led Myne does not have such a chainplate. YMMV.

Led Myne is a cutter, with a cranse iron on her bowsprit. We did not consider bending 2205 plate into a small diameter (3", from memory) cylinder for the cranse. We bought a length of 2205 pipe instead (and of course that was the way the original 316 ss cranse iron had been fabricated).

For tight and complex bends and curves, you might consider other fabrication techniques than cold pressing. Welding springs to mind. For sure a competent fabricator will tell you when annealing of 2205 is needed.
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:18   #11
dlj
Registered User
 
dlj's Avatar

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Monroe NY
Boat: Belliure 41
Posts: 121
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
Alan-- please see the PDF attached about 2205SS... Did I misinterpret the annealing requirements?
The annealing steps mentioned in the document you've posted are more for fabrication. In order to fabricate a particular shape, intermediate anneals may be needed. Highly unlikely that it may be needed for your chain plates.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:30   #12
dlj
Registered User
 
dlj's Avatar

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Monroe NY
Boat: Belliure 41
Posts: 121
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Just an additional note on welding these duplex alloys. It is not as simple as it sounds. Duplex alloys are so named because they contain a balance of ferrite and austenite. At welding temperatures, only ferrite is present. There is a serious need to control cooling rates, energy input and filler materials during welding in order for the final product to have the required duplex microstructure in both the fusion zone (FZ) and the heat affected zone (HAZ). In addition to that, you have to control the time spent at critical temperatures to not precipitate out intermetallics that can both cause embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance. These are great alloys, but you really have to know how to work with them. Just a FYI.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chain plate, enc, stainless steel, steel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless steel chain vs standard chain? blue-moon Anchoring & Mooring 13 22-12-2021 23:52
2205 Duplex Stainless Steel chainplate fabrication Wind River Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 31 22-01-2019 15:21
Duplex 2205 SS for Chainplates laika Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 18-07-2014 18:30

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.