Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 14:14   #1

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

So I have seen alot of chatter about this stainless steel alternative--- but literally no posts about using it for chainplates-- or projects or project pages showing how to manage this super HARD material...

1) Does it need to be annealed after slight bending (to achieve angle)?

2) Does it need to be annealed after drilling 5-8 holes in the material?

Thanks...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 14:26   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: 2205 Stainless Steel Chain Plates-- experience?

Would love to know more myself....

1) Where did you buy it?
2) Where do you get the 2205 nuts and bolts?

I couldn't find answers to these so I ended up using titanium instead.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 16:45   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
So I have seen alot of chatter about this stainless steel alternative--- but literally no posts about using it for chainplates-- or projects or project pages showing how to manage this super HARD material...

1) Does it need to be annealed after slight bending (to achieve angle)?

2) Does it need to be annealed after drilling 5-8 holes in the material?

Thanks...

Skipper T
PJ, first, 2205 isn't particularly hard. It is pretty stiff, though, and will take a strong brake to bend it. No annealing required after small bend or drilling.

Our chain plates have no bend in them, and I did not fabricate them myself, but when we pulled them a few years back (at age ~27 years) they had zero pitting or other evidence of corrosion. Still shiny in the deck penetration area!

And Sean, I have no current info about sourcing 2205 plate. And in our case I've used 316 machine screws in their mounting, since it is in a dry environment I don't worry about corrosion.

Jim
Old 05-08-2022, 18:12   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

For Led Myne's 15th birthday, I replaced her 316 ss chainplates with:
* 2205 duplex ss (for most chainplates); and
* 2507 super duplex ss (for chainplates that were at the waterline or subject to significant spray and dunking).

These were external chainplates.

Three pairs of shroud c'plates had to be curved to fit the shape of the hull and with one or two slight bends. A couple of other c'plates had to have an slight bend. Three or more c'plates needed lugs welded onto them.

For what little it is worth, I sourced the plate 2205 and 2507, laser cut to shape, from Sterlings at Coopers Plains. I carried the plate to NRG Piping at Beenleigh for pressing (curving and bending), welding, and polishing (to mirror No. 8). Those enterprises just happen to be reasonably local to me (although far enough to pack a cut lunch for the journey).

NRG Piping had massive experience working with duplex ss and super duplex ss. I discussed with them the particular characteristics of welding duplex. They were more than familiar with what I had learned from my research.

No annealling, just controlled speed and lubricated drilling to avoid overheat.

Led Myne's external c'plates are attached with carriage bolts. Enamoured by the idea that fasteners ought be a grade more resistant to oxygen-starvation corrosion and chlorine ion-induced corrosion than the c'plates, I went to Anzor Fasteners at Acacia Ridge (also fairly local if you accept the need to pack a cut lunch for the journey) and asked them to source carriage bolts and nuts in 2507 super duplex ss. I suspect Anzor sourced them from somewhere in NW Eurasia but since I left that to them I really have 0 knowledge of the source.

As mentioned above, Sterlings supplied the duplex and super duplex plate laser cut to size. Sterlings also laser cut the square holes to accommodate the square necks of the carriage bolts. I figured that meant less stress (Led Myne's original 316 ss c'plates showed stress corrosion cracks originating at the corners of a couple three of those square holes. The fabricator of the original c'plates had I guess drilled the 316 plate and then filed the circular holes to make square holes).

I've discussed other detail of that project on CF in the past.
Old 05-08-2022, 22:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
For Led Myne's 15th birthday, I replaced her 316 ss chainplates with:
* 2205 duplex ss (for most chainplates); and
* 2507 super duplex ss (for chainplates that were at the waterline or subject to significant spray and dunking).

These were external chainplates.

Three pairs of shroud c'plates had to be curved to fit the shape of the hull and with one or two slight bends. A couple of other c'plates had to have an slight bend. Three or more c'plates needed lugs welded onto them.

For what little it is worth, I sourced the plate 2205 and 2507, laser cut to shape, from Sterlings at Coopers Plains. I carried the plate to NRG Piping at Beenleigh for pressing (curving and bending), welding, and polishing (to mirror No. 8). Those enterprises just happen to be reasonably local to me (although far enough to pack a cut lunch for the journey).

NRG Piping had massive experience working with duplex ss and super duplex ss. I discussed with them the particular characteristics of welding duplex. They were more than familiar with what I had learned from my research.

No annealling, just controlled speed and lubricated drilling to avoid overheat.

Led Myne's external c'plates are attached with carriage bolts. Enamoured by the idea that fasteners ought be a grade more resistant to oxygen-starvation corrosion and chlorine ion-induced corrosion than the c'plates, I went to Anzor Fasteners at Acacia Ridge (also fairly local if you accept the need to pack a cut lunch for the journey) and asked them to source carriage bolts and nuts in 2507 super duplex ss. I suspect Anzor sourced them from somewhere in NW Eurasia but since I left that to them I really have 0 knowledge of the source.

As mentioned above, Sterlings supplied the duplex and super duplex plate laser cut to size. Sterlings also laser cut the square holes to accommodate the square necks of the carriage bolts. I figured that meant less stress (Led Myne's original 316 ss c'plates showed stress corrosion cracks originating at the corners of a couple three of those square holes. The fabricator of the original c'plates had I guess drilled the 316 plate and then filed the circular holes to make square holes).

I've discussed other detail of that project on CF in the past.
Thank you! Wow...grateful for the insight and information... Jackpot!

Skipper T
Old 06-08-2022, 10:16   #6

So this PDF is what has made me think that annealing is required.... Did I misinterpret this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2205_SS_Shop_Sheet_102.pdf (129.6 KB, 24 views)

Skipper T
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17   #7

Alan-- please see the PDF attached about 2205SS... Did I misinterpret the annealing requirements?

Skipper T
Old 07-08-2022, 00:26   #8

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

2205 is just a better S/S ,using 316 fastenings will do the job ,avoid 304 ,even 316L will do for chain plates ,just pull them every 10 yrs or so as a check .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:39   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I replaced our main plates with GR 5 titanium. No more worry, no inspections. By the material n line from general supply houses, not marine affiliated (expensive) places. Don’t say it’s for a boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:48   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Alan-- please see the PDF attached about 2205SS... Did I misinterpret the annealing requirements?
2205 duplex ss and 2507 super duplex do have greater springback than 316 ss, as clearly shown in the chart in the document you attached.

The fabricator I used, NRG Piping, had considerable experience working with both 2205 and 2507 (as the company name suggests, they'd built pipelines using duplex and super duplex ss) and regarded pressing to the shapes and angles Led Myne needed as routine. We talked with the workers in the workshop and observed a couple of the jobs - none of the workers sailed and all were curious about chainplates and their design function. They seemed to appreciate the photo images I sent them of the finished product of their work in situ after installation.

Your question is about the magnitude of the angular bends required.

In the case of the exterior chainplates for Led Myne, curving 2205 to the shape of her hull and cold pressing to the slight angles needed did not require annealing.

I took the time to get out the construction diagrams of Led Myne's chainplates. Biggest bends were in the aft pair of shroud chainplates: 40 degrees. Other bends were 22 degrees and 9 degrees.

I accept that some angle exists at which annealing is recommended when bending 2205. I don't know that angle. Led Myne does not have such a chainplate. YMMV.

Led Myne is a cutter, with a cranse iron on her bowsprit. We did not consider bending 2205 plate into a small diameter (3", from memory) cylinder for the cranse. We bought a length of 2205 pipe instead (and of course that was the way the original 316 ss cranse iron had been fabricated).

For tight and complex bends and curves, you might consider other fabrication techniques than cold pressing. Welding springs to mind. For sure a competent fabricator will tell you when annealing of 2205 is needed.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:18   #11
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
The annealing steps mentioned in the document you've posted are more for fabrication. In order to fabricate a particular shape, intermediate anneals may be needed. Highly unlikely that it may be needed for your chain plates.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:30   #12
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Just an additional note on welding these duplex alloys. It is not as simple as it sounds. Duplex alloys are so named because they contain a balance of ferrite and austenite. At welding temperatures, only ferrite is present. There is a serious need to control cooling rates, energy input and filler materials during welding in order for the final product to have the required duplex microstructure in both the fusion zone (FZ) and the heat affected zone (HAZ). In addition to that, you have to control the time spent at critical temperatures to not precipitate out intermetallics that can both cause embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance. These are great alloys, but you really have to know how to work with them. Just a FYI.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate, enc, stainless steel, steel