Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 10:06   #1

Y-connector - Toilet & deck wash?

I'm about to install an electric toilet where I will use a separate waterpump (toilet tecma nano)...and went with an idea to use a deck wash pump to be setup for toilet and deck wash.

I bought a y-valve but now realize it only handle up to 40 psi. Deck wash is at 73 psi. ....but I have some nylon Y-connectors.

Would a y-connector work and where should it be placed without it having trouble and sucks air from toilet?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:23   #2

Re: Y-connector - Toilet & deck wash?

You mean for the pressure supply (inlet to toilet and to deck) pump? Buy a bronze 3 way valve.
I seriously doubt most small pumps rated to do so put out 73 psi though ...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:29   #3

Yeah for inlet to toilet....but I think I'm really stupid right now...haha. cause with the y-connector (not valve) it should fill up the toilet when using the deck wash?

Yeah a brass/stainless/bronze valve would do the job....but trying to figure out how I can save that money. Haha.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 11:32   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I did the very same installation with the same Thetford Nano, but without a y valve.
The deck wash pump is rated at 60 psi and has its own pressure shutoff switch (runs only on demand).
I checked with Thetford before I installed this system.
The schematic diagram I mentioned seemed over their heads, but they said it sounded like it would work.

I used a diode to isolate the toilet inlet solenoid from the washdown pump switch on the electrical panel.
When the washdown pump is used for upping anchor, it works.
When the toilet is flushed, the washdown pump gets its power through a 12 volt relay which is triggered through the diode which gets its power from the toilet solenoid.
The toilet can flush water a lot faster than the bigger washdown pump can supply it.

Ees bery seemple !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:11   #5

Can you install the deck wash pump upstream of the y valve so the toilet doesn't see the pressure from the deck wash pump? The other leg of the y can feed the toilet pump.
nussbda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:32   #6

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would not recommend using the same pump for both. Apart from some issues of compliance, it is always an advantage to have a separate deck wash pump because any failure with an obstruction during anchor washing when debris is likely to be sucked in through a hull fitting will be difficult to remove if it is also \ythe intake for the heads flush to holding tank

Pumps are comparatively cheap and for a deck wash pump one does not need a macerator stage--as one does in the heads--where the flush pump is often on a common axis with the macerator.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, oil