Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 08:11   #16

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: Why momentary switches on shower drains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Owned a Seawind 1000 and now a Seawind 1160. Both have push/pull switches for the shower sump, i.e., pull to turn on, push to turn off.
Same thing for us. This came on our boat - Pacific Seacraft 40. Works fine
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 23:50   #17

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

On our Bavaria Vision, you turn the shower pump on at the panel and it starts when it gets water in it, then shuts off when dry. Works really well and gets away from having to turn on a switch to start pumping ... that was how our previous boat worked and as others have said was a PITA
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:08   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a vessel once in charter for 2 years, I still have the gulper foot peddles in my 3 heads. I don’t find it much of a bother. I find the foot peddles more times than not on accident, I’ve changer almost everything related to charter wear, what I have not changed are the things that have not worn. They work well so I leave them, when they do not work I may be motivated to put a switch up…and maybe address the hole in the floor.

I understand your frustration but ya gotta stand somewhere no? I put the ball of my foot on the “peddle” and keep it going on off really without thought. I do many things simultaneously so washing my body and operating a foot pump is no big deal.
Full disclosure most of the time I use my transom shower, plenty of hot water, no need for drainage and I enjoy the view.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
I have a vessel once in charter for 2 years, I still have the gulper foot peddles in my 3 heads. I don’t find it much of a bother. I find the foot peddles more times than not on accident, I’ve changer almost everything related to charter wear, what I have not changed are the things that have not worn. They work well so I leave them, when they do not work I may be motivated to put a switch up…and maybe address the hole in the floor.

I understand your frustration but ya gotta stand somewhere no? I put the ball of my foot on the “peddle” and keep it going on off really without thought. I do many things simultaneously so washing my body and operating a foot pump is no big deal.
Full disclosure most of the time I use my transom shower, plenty of hot water, no need for drainage and I enjoy the view.
A foot pedal would indeed be a decent compromise and a big improvement from what I have experienced which is an inconveniently located tiny switch usually just above knee height that you have to press quite hard and hold with your finger through a rubber boot. It usually requires bending down the entire time, and as an extra bonus some have it awkwardly located just outside the shower proper so you have to reach out and around something while dripping water everywhere.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:08   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
A foot pedal would indeed be a decent compromise and a big improvement from what I have experienced which is an inconveniently located tiny switch usually just above knee height that you have to press quite hard and hold with your finger through a rubber boot. It usually requires bending down the entire time, and as an extra bonus some have it awkwardly located just outside the shower proper so you have to reach out and around something while dripping water everywhere.

Not sure why one would want a foot switch , surely a simple on off is all that’s needed
Old 09-07-2022, 10:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Not sure why one would want a foot switch , surely a simple on off is all that’s needed
Yes, I retrofitted an on/of which is definitely best. I was just commenting that a foot switch while not ideal would address the charter "leave it on by mistake" potential issue while being a lot friendlier than the actual momentary switches I've experienced. Of course so would a timer or water sensing switch, but apparently those are too expensive/complex for the charter manufacturers.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:14   #22

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

We have a momentary switch and have absolutely no problem with it. Shower water collects in a sink / recepticle beneath the perforated floor. When done showering, press the switch to pump the collected water out. Takes 10 seconds. The pump is an impeller type, so can’t run dry. No need to press the switch during showering, no need for two noisy running pumps (the water pressure pump is running also ).
Old 09-07-2022, 14:07   #23
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
We have a momentary switch and have absolutely no problem with it. Shower water collects in a sink / recepticle beneath the perforated floor. When done showering, press the switch to pump the collected water out. Takes 10 seconds. The pump is an impeller type, so can’t run dry. No need to press the switch during showering, no need for two noisy running pumps (the water pressure pump is running also ).

Because my shower base is close to the hull my sump is small and conveniently located so that the water never collects in it , inevitably collecting in the diametrically opposite corner depending on the aspect the boat is taking. !!!!

Hence the need for a “ sweeping “ motion of the right foot to slosh water into the sump, keeping a strong spring loaded push button pushed began to resemble a game of Twister !!
Old 09-07-2022, 17:06   #24

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

You obviously need another, better designed boat. Not just a different switch
Old 09-07-2022, 17:49   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
You obviously need another, better designed boat. Not just a different switch
Or less gear in the port locker
Old 11-07-2022, 07:31   #26

Boat: Catalina 350

Most boats have a on/off switch. I’ve never heard of that but I’d bet it’s what the charter industry uses because of the shear numbers and skill levels of the sailors that use those boats.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:58   #27

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

To funny, must be the charter boats and boaters, 90% of this forum has spent time chartering. It is not a difficult thing to operate the foot peddle, I’ve been on May vessels with many different people, crossed oceans all that fun stuff, I have herd the pump running long after individuals have left the shower.

It’s about Energy.
it’s about energy conservation and consumption, it’s designed to conserve energy, on both the shower bilge and the water pump, and heck yes you use less water so less water maker power, and by the way it forces the guests/crew to get on with it, there on a sailboat not the four seasons.

So the green squad, the electric motor peeps, the tree huggers, the leave no trace-ers, the Vat tax enthusiasts should be banging pots to get the foot peddle shower pump into there boats.
To be clear I consider my self all of the above.
I like my foot peddle, when I am to old and feeble to operate the peddle while showering I may put a smooth rock on it then just remove it when I’m done.
Maybe even tie a string around the rock so I don’t even have to bend down.

Sometimes the peanut gallery use the terms “charter boats” and “production boats” like derogatory slurs, those boat have gotten the majority of people that are sailing today out there.
Those foot peddle charter boats are crossing oceans on a regular basis don’t be a hater.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:57   #28

Boat: Freedom 38 1988

In the USA this Rule shower drain kit is available for $100 less on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/15409148437...Bk9SR7CNoO29YA
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 21:21   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
On our Lagoon400, the shower drain pumps are on time switch.
Push once, it operates for 13 sec.
If there is water still, you push again.
That's the French solution--works pretty well.

You can always avoid the problems by using buckets of seawater in the cockpit.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 00:15   #30

Boat: Presto 36

My shower pan bilge pump is powered via my potable water pump switch. The shower pump won't come on unless it senses water in the shower pan.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, shower