Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Which Refrigerator for My Ice Box Build ?

Gonna re invent the galley on my boat and build a top loading refrigerator.

I like the Cool Blue from Technautics for many reasons, expect it is 2-3 times the price as the Adler Barbours from West Marine.

So what's the good, the bad, and the ugly on your refrigerator brand/model?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29   #2

Re: Which refrigerator for my ice box build?

We got one of the air cooled models from West Marine almost a year ago and converted our sail box to a refrigerated unit. It works extremely well and we keep the boat on the Gulf Coast where it gets really hot.

I was particularly impressed with it while at anchor recently. After running off a two-battery bank for a day along with a light or two when needed and a stereo playing some of the time, the batteries cranked the motor without hesitation. (We have a back-up battery in the event we run the main bank down.)

One note is that ours is installed on a side of the cold box that butts up against a bulkhead...bad idea. The outside face of the bulkhead gets cold and develops condensation, so the cold plate will have to be remounted on a different side. So be aware of that when you do your planning. I would either insulate it extremely well or keep it on a side where condensation won't matter, or both.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27   #3

Re: Which Refrigerator for My Ice Box Build ?

I am looking into installing the Adler Barbour CU-200 water cooled unit.

Any reason anyone can talk me out of this unit?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:38   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Ocean Roads:

Well, let me give it a try and offer an alternative:

Many years ago Practical Sailor tested air cooled versus circulating water cooled refrigeration systems. Unless you are in a tropical climate, ie Miami, the Gulf Coast or south the extra current to power the circulating pump didn't pay for itself in daily amphour usage.

Since then a pretty good alternative has been developed: Frigoboat's keel cooled system. It uses a passive bronze shoe mounted to the bottom of your hull. Freon circulates in and out and gets condensed. I had one on a previous boat and I think it cut amphour usage by 25% or more.

Some have reported corrosion induced freon leakage. Mine did not.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49   #5

I live in SW FL, and will only be going further south, so I think I need water cooling.

I will look up Frigoboat.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29   #6

We put in a Frigoboat keel-cooled about 5 years ago ... LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's been almost maintenance-free, silent running. We use a miniscule 25 amp-hours per day in 70-degree water for two largish boxes plus a shoe-box-size freezer. Compresser is about the size of a football, which freed up a huge locker that housed the old technology. Yes, they're pricey, for us it was truly money well spent.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:34   #7

Just priced out a Frigoboat system. Around $2,000 plus shipping and tax. Thats only about $500 more then the complete Adler Barbour CU-200 system.

So Frigoboat just moved to the top of my list. Any other contenders?

Tags
refrigerator