Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 04:19   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Where to buy spiral watercooled condenser for refrigeration

I am trying to get a spiral condenser for refrigeration line.

Rpats has them out of stock. I am looking for 1/2 ton capacity so 3/8" flare refrigeration ports and and 5/8" water ports? Since its for seawater it would have to be Cu-Ni(copper nickle). Anyone knows where to buy those?

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 06:59   #2

Re: Where to buy spiral watercooled condenser for refrigeration

https://packless.com/products/condenser-wshp-coils

Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 07:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
thanks, I was on that website, I guess they must sell over the phone. Thats fine. i really want to by a good quality US made coil. Anything less and you risk a lot of damage. It'd be nice if they came with a zinc.
Old 21-05-2020, 07:28   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

You could try Johnstone Supply. They have been quite helpful to me in the past, but as to stock....

If you are in RI looks like they have a branch in Providence.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 07:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Be sure you buy a condenser with cupronickel water tube and its shell made of copper and not steel. Condensation that sometimes forms on steel exteriors will shorten life of steel condensers. What ever unit you buy is not likely going to have fittings installed on it.
United refrigeration stores are located in most cities and they stock these condensers. The 1/2 ton units are around $45.

Do not under size capacity of condenser if slightly over sized water flow can always be reduced to regulate liquid refrigerant pressure.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 08:55   #6

Boat: Moody 49

I have the very thing; bought to solves leak issue. But after a couple of days I gave up and bought a new system. Send me a pm with a phone - what’s app or email if interested. It is in the USVI. Has zinc slots.
IS-SBD00016AB is the part no

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B42174A-0E1F-4AAA-BE1C-83C2816A3EE8.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	215482  
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 09:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Be sure you buy a condenser with cupronickel water tube and its shell made of copper and not steel.

Do not under size capacity of condenser if slightly over sized water flow can always be reduced to regulate liquid refrigerant pressure.
Is it possible to oversize a condenser? Once the refrigerant is liquid, cooling it further (supercooling?) should only make the expansion more efficient... shouldn't it?

I find this very interesting. Seems like a great idea. Is there a downside?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
Is it possible to oversize a condenser? Once the refrigerant is liquid, cooling it further (supercooling?) should only make the expansion more efficient... shouldn't it?

I find this very interesting. Seems like a great idea. Is there a downside?
There is always a happy spot liquid refrigerant high side pressure for each system to insure the heat absorbing energy takes place inside evaporator. There is no way to correct evaporator super heat absorption if condenser is too small. If condenser is a little too large water flow can be reduced by a simple manual by pass or on larger units than yours we use a hot gas regulating automatic valve to maintain correct differential pressure flow across expansion valves.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:56   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Yes, there is a downside to excessive subcooling. When designing a refrigeration system, the compressor, condenser TXV and evaporator are sized to achieve the desired capacity and maintain proper operating pressures at a given condensing range. In the case of a water cooled condenser, over-sizing can lead to a low pressure differential between high and low sides. The TXV needs 100 psi differential to operate properly.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 13:00   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

This also happens in air cooled AC systems that need to run in low OSA conditions, as is frequently the case in commercial office buildings and especially data centers. In those cases condenser fan speeds are modulated or hot gas bypass circuits added to maintain desired differential.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 15:40   #11

I was excited to see this topic pop up since it makes sense to reject the heat into the water instead of the engine room. I don't want to turn this into a HVAC class... but I am learning something here.

To paraphrase, if you cool down the refrigerant too much, you drop the pressure coming out of the condenser, which can make the expansion valve less effective. No pressure drop, no expansion, no cooling...

So even though high SEER condensers are all bigger, it is possible to go too big, and in this case with water being the heat transfer medium, very easy to go too "big". ie too much cooling.

The TXV valve will control the expansion and superheat. Is there a simple way of automating the condenser cooling if you are using a watercooled condenser?
I'm thinking of something like a thermostatic mixing valve or a version of a TXV valve with the power head coupled to the condenser outlet...
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 07:12   #12

Its called a pressure regulating water valve, we put them on our shipboard systems to hold the high side pressure at a nearly constant level in a wide range of water temps.
Its like a TXV for water flow in a way.
Marine Refrigeration: Air-Water Shipboard - Glacier
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 06:53   #13

I got this one via Johnstone Supply. it was $170 with tax and shipping. I might have overpaid but oh well, you win some you lose some.

https://packless.com/products/conden...ls/cocx-7051-h

Tags
refrigeration, water