Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 06:06   #1

What’s the correct hose to use?

Hi All,
Sadly we are selling our 44 ft TrawlerCat and I want to make sure the survey goes smoothly. Several years ago I added a raw water anchor wash down. I used wire bound house from the seacock to the strainer. The hose from the strainer to the pump is 1/2” and I couldn’t find that in wire bound so I used normal marine reinforced vinyl water hose. Is that acceptable? Typically I see wire bound between strainers and whatever is next in line.
Any thoughts on what is correct? Thanks in advance for responding.
- Vanderd
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 06:11   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: What’s the correct hose to use?

Is the hose run in question below the waterline? If not, I'd say any reinforced hose is fine. If it is, I'd rather see a reinforced rubber hose than the reinforced vinyl stuff (even if it's fabric instead of wire reinforced).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 06:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Suction hoses, between seacock & pump, should be reinforced. These hoses are made from various polymers, such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and polyurethane (PU). The hose is then strengthened, by a support coil, running along the tube. This coil can be made from a variety of materials, including PVC or steel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 07:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

I'd use sanitation hose...even the least expensive flex PVC #148 is rated for below-waterline use and is reinforced with a helix.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 12:34   #5

That run is below the waterline. Will a Surveyor find fault with clear vinyl reinforced hose between the strainer and 12 volt pump?
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 17:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

A good one will...anywhere in a line that ends up connected to a below waterlline thru-hull, no matter what else might be in that line.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 19:15   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

If you don’t want wire take a look at hoses for fuel or military surplus. We found some great hose on Ebay and all the specs were excellent.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 15:35   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You should be using "wirebound" (Non-collapsible) hose from the intake thru hull to the input of the pump. As Gord above is indicating, these types of pumps will pull a vacuum and standard braided hose can collapse and starve the pump of input. Each time it collapses it becomes weaker and will eventually collapse each time you use it. Braided hose is rated and designed for pressure you'd see on the output of the pump, non-collapsible is meant to be used for the suction side of pumps.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 21:52   #9

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The "suction" ability of most pumps used on boats for washdown/anchor rode cleaning/water transfer/etc. is vastly overrated.
Just about any thicker wall hose works just fine.
With the plethora of hose types available, (go to a rubber/hose supply not a "marine" store,) and get better/more specific product at less cost.
Wire wound? with the assortments of hose to choose from the use of wire wound is mostly a thing of the past.
Applications for it on small/medium pleasure boats are very few, and then only if nothing else will work, like a "difficult" section of engine exhaust.
It's a miserable product, use only when nothing else will work.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote